• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Northshore OFFLINE  

Northshore
  • Member No: 12272
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted September 26, 2012 - 11:30 AM

I posted this on the General Tractor forum and was told i should try here. The original post is listed below. I noted it as a 1969. I'm not sure that is right. We come up with that year from the numbers on the engine. It has a 7 horse briggs on it..

Hi guys. I’m new to the forum and a have recently developed an interest in vintage garden tractors. This looks like the place for answers. A co-worker of mine has a 1969 MTD 700 for sale at a reasonable price. It is in good running shape(smokes a little) but it is missing the mower deck. What are the odds of finding one? I’ve searched online and I don’t seem to see very much for the 700 at all. Would a deck from a different MTD work or should I keep looking for another more complete tractor. I’d like to restore the tractor this winter and use it for mowing next summer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails

• MTD 700.jpg

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 26, 2012 - 11:41 AM

First off Welcome to GTtalk, glad you joined us. I can't help to answer your question without doing some research first. I know a little about the 990-960MTD's but have never messed with the 700 models. I would think that you can adapt a deck from a later model MTD lawn tractor to fit your 700.

#3 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted September 26, 2012 - 07:59 PM

Does it still have the model and serial number sticker? If so, the model number will tell you for sure what year it is. I think your tractor is a model 660.
MTD has a site for downloading manuals. It's at: http://manuals.mtdpr...m/mtd/Public.do
Type in 149660 as the model number and anything as a serial number (I like "5") and then select the second one on the list and you'll have your manual.

Good luck on the mower deck. I've never even seen a seven hundred.

#4 Northshore OFFLINE  

Northshore
  • Member No: 12272
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted September 27, 2012 - 08:14 AM

I didn't look it up by model number. The stickers are still on the hood and they say "Seven Hundred". I'll check the model numbers just to verify it. Thank you for your help.

#5 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8128
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted September 27, 2012 - 08:33 AM

If your tractor is a '69, it should be model 149-659 for recoil start or model 149-669 for electric start. The mowing deck should be model 199-651, 32"deck. Other decks from the same series, -651, will probably work on your tractor.

I uploaded a manual for the '69 model year to the MTD manuals section.

http://gardentractor...garden-tractor/

#6 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted September 27, 2012 - 09:13 PM

Homesteader has ALL the manuals....Ha! You must have quite a library or know where to get them.. I have a smaller 10hp Farm King and it is much like the bigger 900 I also have, just it's manual. think the decks are pretty much the same. My book shows a 42" and a 50" available. For your HP, maybe these would be too big. I think attachments are gonna be similar for many years. Just watch which type drive you need. Some are shaft, some have belt and angle drives and some just have belts. With a manual, you should be able to determine which you need. Are all the hanger straps and hardware on the tractor still? They look kinda weird bent and complicated most times and usually just get left on when mower is removed.

#7 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 08:05 AM

Homesteader has ALL the manuals....Ha! You must have quite a library or know where to get them..

Where to get them:
http://manuals.mtdpr...m/mtd/Public.do

#8 bigaaron OFFLINE  

bigaaron
  • Member No: 49905
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 02:54 PM

FYI_

the aforementioned  at the MTD website comes up as a Cub Cadet - that is not the right info

The one GT fanatic dropped on is correct (close enough)