22 replies to this topic

#1 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • Member No: 10588
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted September 25, 2012 - 01:00 PM

Mods, feel free to move this.
Since there's no forum for Husqvarna lawn tractors, or garden tractors. My headlights aren't working. It's not like I use them very much - just when snowblowing out near the road. Anyway...... Can I just check continuity by opening the quick connect and checking resistance on the wires comomg from the switch ? and if so, if I find that the swtch is bad, how do I get it out of the dashboard ? It's a rocker switch. If memory serves me right I have to squeeze something together under the dash and pull it up .......??
i

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,661 posts

Posted September 25, 2012 - 01:57 PM

That sounds right, oldtimer. Not having one at hand makes it a bit hard to figure out what you are looking at. Sometimes, switches can corrode over inside from lack of use. Flip the switch several times and see if that doesn't help.
  • oldtimer said thank you

#3 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted September 25, 2012 - 02:39 PM

Thanks KennyP,
I'll try that first. I'll have to do it on a good morning so that the sun shine into the engine compartment. No electricity in my shed. But I CAN check the wires like that, right ??

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,661 posts

Posted September 25, 2012 - 04:15 PM

Yes, you can check continuity that way. Just make sure there is no power to the switch before you do it.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,266 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted September 25, 2012 - 05:23 PM

The Husqvarna tractors are very similar in build to my Craftsman GT5000. My lights are incorporated into the ignition switch, however.

There is a chance that you have a blown fuse causing this. (why it blew is another matter). They will sometimes hide them in behind the dash. Often it's an inline fuse holder that is clipped to the dash tower somewhere.

One more thing, check the connector where it goes from the frame to the hood. There is one on my tractor that pulled apart just far enough that the lights were flashing with bumps.

Oh, and some of the light circuits are on a separate "generator" circuit so the lights only work when the engine is running. Some of them are A/C 12V instead of D/C. Just something else to check for.

Hope you find the problem.
  • Alc and oldtimer have said thanks

#6 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted September 26, 2012 - 07:23 AM

Thanks MH81. Yeah, I noticed that the manual said to check the fuse, but I thought that if the the fuse were blown that it wouldn't start. Duhh me. The schematic shows only one fuse, so I'll hutn for it. I just noticed that according to the parts diagram the fuse is one of those square, two pronged automotives types. I'll be going out to search for it a littler later when it's a tad warmer and the air isn't too heavy. Having a breathing problem makes me have to do things a little at a time now. Simple task of bending down too long and I lose my breath. Now I know where the term " grumpy old man " came from. Some of us get grumpy due to the frustration of not being able to do things as fast as we once could, LOL Takes me forever to do simple tasks now, but hey, it's still a sense of accomplishment. Having good folks like you guys here makes things easier, too . Thanks !
  • MH81, Alc and HDWildBill have said thanks

#7 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,699 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted September 26, 2012 - 09:03 AM

I know how you feel, it can be very frustrating at times. As Kenny stated make sure power is off when you check for continuity of the wires. If you check a live wire when checking continuity you will blow the fuse in the meter or worse blow the meter it self. Good luck finding your problem.

#8 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted September 26, 2012 - 03:00 PM

The best laid plans of mice and men......... wife wanted me to mow the lawn again and put the grass clippings in the garden so that she couldplay with the little SunJoe electric tille, lol ! She loves that and the SnowJoe snowblower I bought to get to the shed . Got done mowing and I had to take a shower because of the dust. Now it looks like it might rain any minute, so I'll wait for a nicer day. Time I have, money I don't . lol O, and thanks for the good luck wish, HDWildBill

#9 Sam OFFLINE  

Sam

• Contributor
  • Member No: 255
  • 71 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 05:35 PM

Also make sure the wires arent touching the exhaust, i had that on one of mine, melted through them and fused it.

#10 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 08:37 PM

I added a Husqvarna forum. I thought for sure we had one but apparently not. So I made one and moved your topic there with a link to it in the original forum you posted in. I also edited your thread title to be more descriptive.

#11 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted October 01, 2012 - 10:26 AM

Thanks George. I was getting an inferiority complex. lol ! I'll post there from now on. :bounce:

#12 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted October 01, 2012 - 10:34 AM

SOO....... Good weather today. Tracked down the fuse and it's okay. Checked voltage and continuity with fuse out , at fuse holder, and it read 12 V. with switch on, put fuse back in, and nothing at the other end where the connector to the headlight harness is. Broken wire ?? I hope not; it looks like I'd have to take off the egine shroud.

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,266 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted October 01, 2012 - 11:24 AM

Is it a one wire (chassis ground) or two wire harness?

#14 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted October 01, 2012 - 01:15 PM

Is it a one wire (chassis ground) or two wire harness?

A bunch of wires in a corrugated sleeve. then the two come out to the headlight connector. I checked each wire for continuity, but both seemed open. ??

#15 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,266 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted October 01, 2012 - 04:51 PM

OT, do you have a model number? Or a picture of a wiring schematic we could look at?