#1 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,698 Thanks
  • 8,892 posts

Posted September 25, 2012 - 12:44 PM

I've got the snowblower for the Homelite torn apart, and bearings were stuck in pretty good. Ended up with a collar broke on one bearing, the other is loose, and the flanges around them took a beating. So, parts ordering time. I look up the numbers in the Homelite manual. Nothing. So then I cross reference over to the Simplicity model of the same blower. Nothing on Simplicity's site. So I call the nearest dealer and talk to their parts guy. He gets nothing. So I ask if there was a number change or an equivalent available. His words: 'Not that I'm aware of'.

So I have a light bulb moment. Type 'Simplicity 172279 equivalent' into Google. V'iola! Parts all over the place. Part # has been changed to 2172279A. Jack's Small Engines, Ebay, Parts Tree, other Simplicity dealers, I got options. On Ebay, some pawn shop raided a small engine repair shop, and had 4 of the 6 items I needed. Parts Tree got the order for the other two. According to Simplicity's pricing, I just ordered about $45 worth of parts. I would of gladly drove into town to pick the parts up next week. If I'm gonna do all the leg work to find them, I'll just get them shipped to the door, thank you.

Maybe the parts counter guys' time is worth more than that, maybe he was swamped. But I would of taken my #, done a bit of digging, and called back instead of dismissing a potential small sale. One advantage of ordering parts for a customer? They have to physically enter the store to pick it up. You know, through the showroom, where the shiny stuff is.

:wallbanging:

#2 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted September 25, 2012 - 01:09 PM

It's almost every parts store you enter today. The "kid's" behind the counter don't have a clue if it's not printed right in front of them.
This is a true story; A friend of mine works for the largest equipment dealer in the state of Florida as a field tech. He had to do a follow up service call on an older piece of of gas powered equipment that the "green pea" couldn't get running. He claimed that parts were missing from the distributor and some one installed a small tube thing in it. To make a long story short, it was the first points and condenser he had ever seen and couldn't find the pick up coil. Go figure.

#3 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted September 25, 2012 - 01:13 PM

I have bought alot of parts through jacks. I only had to return a few items and they were great to deal with. M and D on the other hand were complete incompetent A holes.

I would hate to guess how much I spend every year on shipping,(over $300 easy) But its worth it not to have to deal with the kids behind the parts counter that cant look anything up if you dont have a model number for the tractor. I usually just get " we dont sell parts for "XYZ" tractors" , when its usually a briggs or kohler part. That just means they dont know how to look it up.

#4 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted September 25, 2012 - 01:34 PM

It's almost every parts store you enter today. The "kid's" behind the counter don't have a clue if it's not printed right in front of them.

I find they don't give a rat's arse.. Daddy told em get a job or i wont pay for your new car when you turn 18...

#5 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted September 25, 2012 - 02:28 PM

Sometimes the "kid" behind the counter is 60 and still dont know his a$$ from third base

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted September 25, 2012 - 07:10 PM

I think the good guys behind the counter are getting fewer and far between. There are still good ones out there that will go above and beyond to find you your parts. It is like that with a lot of things now a days.

#7 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,264 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted September 25, 2012 - 07:25 PM

We try really hard where I work (appliance store) to be able to help the people who come in without the needed info. All the parts cross refs are online and require at least a partial model number. Some parts we can educated guess, some we can't.

Once in a while we get a guy who stomps around the store and out the front door like a little kid who didn't get his way, accusing us of not wanting to sell the parts or being to dumb to know we have them.
I usually ask these people if they know what make and model car they drive when they go buy a part for it or do they tell the parts guy "Well, it has four wheels..."

All that said, most of the knowledgeable guys " in the back" are retiring, and it harder than heck to get a kid to want to learn anything except how to click a mouse. It's only going to get worse, brace yourselves.
  • NUTNDUN and caseguy have said thanks

#8 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,699 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted September 25, 2012 - 07:27 PM

We have a small repair shop in a town not far from me. The guy that works the counter is about 6'7" and an easy 300+ lbs but not all fat he is big and very much a country boy. But when you need a part or information he is the one to see. When I call he get's the info of what I'm looking for and get my phone # then calls me back later in the day with what he found. Some times I will do research online to help him out if we are having trouble figuring out what part I need but he is great. When I have to order a part I get a call "Hey Boss your part is in." The best part is their prices run about the same as what I find on line.

There is some good customer service still out there.
  • MH81 said thank you

#9 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted September 25, 2012 - 07:32 PM

We used to have a parts man at a local appliance store that was like that, show him a par and he gets it off the shelf. We had a Crosley washer and Dryer, the blower fan went out, I showed it to him, he told me that's its a Maytag item, I told him no its a Crosley, he told me there are the same. He didn't need any cross reference, to bad he retired the next time I needed one it took forever to find it.

#10 John@Reliable ONLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted September 25, 2012 - 07:33 PM

I needed a check valve for my weed wacker, found it on line and so I had the part #.
Being the good guy I am, I decided to get it from the local guys, so off I went, ordered and payed in full, we will call you
when it's in, now this was late June. Well last week I got the call three months later, your parts are in, so off I go to find that my part was in, but I payed for two of them and only one was ordered/shipped, the counter guy didn't miss a beat, "I will call you when it's in". :bigrofl:

P.S. next time back to on-line ordering :thumbs:

#11 Amigatec ONLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted September 25, 2012 - 07:34 PM

Just remember he didn't sell you the wrong part, your just working on the wrong tractor.

#12 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,264 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted September 25, 2012 - 07:53 PM

We used to have a parts man at a local appliance store that was like that, show him a par and he gets it off the shelf. We had a Crosley washer and Dryer, the blower fan went out, I showed it to him, he told me that's its a Maytag item, I told him no its a Crosley, he told me there are the same. He didn't need any cross reference, to bad he retired the next time I needed one it took forever to find it.

Just to complicate matters, Whirlpool bought Maytag. Some of the old standby parts put a "Y" in front of the number, but many are either crosreff'd or just NLA.

Most of the maytag blowers are over to Whpl 31001317 (deep style) or 31001043(std depth). the Std depth works for most of them just fine.

Isn't it amazing the racket they make when the blower hub "D" strips out on the shaft ?

#13 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted September 25, 2012 - 08:00 PM

After the 4th or 5th stripped out I bought a new Whirlpool unit.

#14 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted September 25, 2012 - 08:03 PM

I've got to say, I can't blame the appliance guy if I fail to bring the information he needs. What ticks me off is to walk into an auto store and say 'I need a Champion H-10' and they ask "what vehicle is it going into?" I usually stare at them, then say "It's for a 1972 Gravely Tractor, does that help?" so of course they go and look and tell me they don't have that tractor listed. "Can you cross reference the Champion H-10?". I've actually had someone tell me that plug is NLA, so I went down the street where they had the cross for me.

#15 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,530 Thanks
  • 3,918 posts

Posted September 25, 2012 - 09:10 PM

One time I had to get new wiper blades for the truck and stopped at the local store. Thought I would get a refill and would measure what size I need. By the time I got into the store my favorite parts guy was pulling the right ones off the shelf. He saw me getting the length and pulled it up and got them for me. But then the same store had a real wacko who couldn't find anything. One night you lucked out and got everything needed and next time you didn't.