• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 johnlewis51 OFFLINE  

johnlewis51

• Member No: 7686
  • 0 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted September 25, 2012 - 05:31 AM

hi i have a 1980 yardman 16 hydrostatic which is same as mtd 990 when in neutral will crawl backwards checked manual says to disconect at ball joint put bolt tru alignment hole on both cam and slide mounting plate then adjust cam till whells stops moving i did this and moved cam in both direction and could not stop wheels so i removed alignment bolt and slide slide mounting plate until wheels stopped then hooked back up at ball joint doesnt move in neutral but feels like i lost alot of power going forward any help would be appreciayed thanking u in advance john

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted September 25, 2012 - 06:52 AM

Welcome to GTtalk johnlewis51 ! Can't help you with your question , I'm sure someone will , Al

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,487 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted September 25, 2012 - 07:28 AM

Welcome. I'm another with no help for you. Hope someone will be along soon!

#4 johnlewis51 OFFLINE  

johnlewis51

• 0 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted September 25, 2012 - 07:33 AM

it is nice to feel welcome haha hope somebody has some info thanks for saying hello

#5 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted September 25, 2012 - 07:43 AM

Welcome to the group.

While I am not familiar with that model, One tip I can pass along is make small adjustments. 1/8 of a turn can make a big difference.
internal part wear could be causing the need for adjustment. If this unit has alot of hours on it, you may need to just find a happy meduim.

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 25, 2012 - 10:00 AM

Welcome to GTTAlk. What you are describing is a common problem in older hydro drives. I find that making sure the linkage and adjustment mechanism are clean, well lubricated and that any slop in the linkage is minimized is the first step. After you have that in good shape then adjusting the neutral is a lot easier and more likely to hold the adjustment.

#7 johnlewis51 OFFLINE  

johnlewis51

• 0 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted September 25, 2012 - 10:32 AM

all linkage is very straight and tractor doesnt seem to have alot of wear just that when i line 2 holes up no mater where i turn cam wheels keep turning when i remove alignment bolt i can push sliding plate back to stop wheels but then i dont think i have enough play left to open all the way on control arm was sugested i may have to set it up and go back a little in neutral

#8 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted September 25, 2012 - 11:02 AM

Can you post a pic of the cam? I had a wheelhorse 417A that had grass and junk built up in the slot that limited motion. Check for wear on the cam follower if it has one.

Edited by rat88, September 25, 2012 - 11:03 AM.

#9 johnlewis51 OFFLINE  

johnlewis51

• 0 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted September 25, 2012 - 12:13 PM

went out and took a couple of pics glad i did could see what i couldnt see before all i can turn is cam mounting plate cam itself doesnt seem to move dont know how to [post pics.

#10 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 08:36 PM

Welcome to GTT. I'm following this really close because I just recently got a Dayton which is the same as the 990. Been covered up with honey do's and been on vacation so haven't had time to do anything but make sure it runs after sitting for I think he said 10 years which it does. All I did was clean plug and put in new fuel and spray some carb. cleaner in the carb. I does have a leak on the hydraulic cylinder I need to look at when I get time.

To post pictures click on "Choose File" on left side below text box. Find your file where you saved it on your computer and click on it and then click open. Then click on "Attach This File". Then on the bottom right of the text box you'll see "Add to Post" click on that.

990 001.jpg

PS: When replying to a post that already going you may have to click on "More Reply Options" in the bottom right of the box when you frist start to reply.

Edited by tinner, September 28, 2012 - 08:38 PM.

• johnlewis51 said thank you

#11 johnlewis51 OFFLINE  

johnlewis51

• 0 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted September 29, 2012 - 05:28 AM

thanks i posted pics guess i was wrong i have a 995 not 990 model believe it or not there is a differancei was looking at manual for both thanks for help i am set up when in neutal i still go back a little but i have power back going forward

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_55461.JPG
  • IMG_55471.JPG
  • IMG_55481.JPG
  • IMG_55491.JPG