• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 davearctic OFFLINE  

davearctic
  • Member No: 12240
  • 0 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 10:00 PM

I bought a 16 hp ariens tractor with a johnson loader. model 931010. The tractor has a vibration coming from the drive shaft.

The drive shaft is not centered where it enters the housing on the engine. The housing has 2 set screw that appear to be pushing the shaft to one side. Has anyone seen this problem before and know what the fix is
thanks

dave

#2 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,565 Thanks
  • 3,947 posts

Posted September 25, 2012 - 05:12 AM

Welcome to GTTalk!
It seems like what you are describing is a little different than what is shown in the manual for your model. If you would be able to get a picture of it to help describe it. Sounds like your drive shaft has a replacement end. I would also check the driveshaft to make sure there is no problem there.

Also all the manuals are still available at the Ariens site, owners and parts. The downloads are still free. There are some in the manuals section here. What you described sounds about like what I found for on the 931019 model. Sounds like it would need a new end.

Edited by shorty, September 25, 2012 - 05:23 AM.

• davearctic said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 25, 2012 - 10:09 AM

It sounds like the shaft or coupler may be worn. You need to take it apart and access the damage. Using it like that could result in a u joint or coupler failure and a lot of damage. Also check your rubber motor mounts if that tractor uses them. If the mounts are shot and the tractor is run without repairing them the extra movement in the engine leads to trouble in the rest of the drivetrain.

#4 davearctic OFFLINE  

davearctic
  • 0 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted September 25, 2012 - 06:30 PM

shorty

931019 is the model that the old owner thought the tractor was, but i found the model # 931010 on the tractor.

i have added some pics

thanks

davedrive1.jpg drive 2.jpg drive 3.jpg

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 25, 2012 - 07:05 PM

You've got to get that off the engine in order to see what's happening at that coupler. You will need to remove the engine or at least move it forward enough to get it apart. If you try to turn the shaft by hand is there any slop in it when you turn it in either direction or when you try to push/pull it from side to side?

#6 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,565 Thanks
  • 3,947 posts

Posted September 25, 2012 - 07:06 PM

Dave,
those pictures show it fairly well. I would most likely pull the drive shaft and the couplers at both ends. A good mower shop should be able to check them for you. The drive shaft and the couplings are still available but the price makes one think they are made of gold. The sponsors here at GTT might have a setup also. If I remember right, take the rear of the shaft off first and slide to the side. Then you will have the room to slide away from the engine. It gets a little interesting at the engine to get the screen off to get that coupler off. I believe you have a key in yours on the other side of the set screws.

#7 davearctic OFFLINE  

davearctic
  • 0 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted September 25, 2012 - 09:46 PM

thanks shorty. its is all coming off as some as i have the time

#8 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,565 Thanks
  • 3,947 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 09:15 PM

Dave, does your drive shaft assembly look like this one? I found that this one was used in your model. The right hand side is the engine side where it shows a 4 bolt attachment.
drive shaft.jpg

#9 davearctic OFFLINE  

davearctic
  • 0 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 08:32 PM

10- 4 shorty, that is my drive shaft. the parts i bought on ebay should be in this week. hopefully it is in good shape

#10 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,565 Thanks
  • 3,947 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 07:46 AM

Sounds like there were alot of pieces ready to fall off. Good thing nothing happened when it was running. Good luck with the new parts. Have fun getting it back together.