• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jack ONLINE  

Jack
  • Member No: 9304
  • 1,127 Thanks
  • 771 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 05:59 PM

Hi guys. Well I sold all my junky old tractors and used the money to buy what I think is a really nice old John Deer 110. The guy I purchased it from told me he went with his grandfather to buy it brand new in 1966. Other than a chunk broken out of the hood I would call it near mint for its age. It is all original except for the battery and even has the original tires with no dry rot. What I am hoping you guys can help me with is to see if the serial #'s support what he says about the year of manufacture and if the 8 HP engine is original to the tractor. Looking at it I belive it is but I think the tractor may be a couple years older than he thinks it is. I guess it could have sat in a dealers showroom for a while before it was sold. The number on the dash support is 9888. The numbers on the 8 HP kohler engine are SER. 870267 and SPEC. 30115A Also it seems to have a bit more play in the steering than I would like. I dosent appear to have any loose linkage parts. It seems to be in the lower column or gear box. What ever is down there. What does it take to tighten that up? Thanks for any help you guys can offer. I love this forum and read it every day. And although I haven't posted much, It seems as though I kinda know a few of you from just reading your posts ever day. Thanks in advance.
Jack..

I added a pic from the sellers add as I dont have any of my own yet.

Attached Thumbnails

• my JD 110.jpg

Edited by Jack, September 24, 2012 - 06:10 PM.

#2 Littledeere OFFLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 06:33 PM

Well from that sel #and it looks like I can see a 3 speed trans and a steel tube front axle that should be a 64 thats a good find it should only 3 lug bolts holding the wheels on also there are a few other things but that looks to be a nice find
  • Jack said thank you

#3 Jack ONLINE  

Jack
  • 1,127 Thanks
  • 771 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 06:44 PM

Thanks for the reply Littledeer. It does have just 3 lug bolts on the rear wheels.

Jack..

#4 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 08:19 PM

Yes, Kenny is right. Your tractor is a 1964, and yes the 8hp Kohler is correct for the tractor. Your serial plate should read something like this: 110 9888. If it were mine, it would be a tractor that I would not restore or use. I don't know what your intentions are for the tractor, but if you're looking to attend shows, this would be one of my show tractors and not a worker. Congrats on the find! It's none of my business what you paid for it, but if you got it for less than $500.00, you did really well. Did you get any other attachments besides the mower deck?

As for the steering play, if you look at the steering box, you will see an adjustment screw. You can trying turning that in a little to see if it helps in making the steering a little tighter. Don't go too much, as you will possibly do damage to the steering shaft. If it's not a lot of play though, I think I would just put up with it, or ignore it.

Take Care and have fun with it!!
  • Jack said thank you

#5 Jack ONLINE  

Jack
  • 1,127 Thanks
  • 771 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 08:50 PM

Thanks for the reply johndeerelfman. Yes I have no plans for a restore. Its just something I thought I would clean up, "show off" and keep just like it is. My plan is to come up with something to pull around behind it for the tractor shows that someone can sit on and maybe haul some parts. I did give 500 bucks for it . But that was all profit money I made selling my other old junky tractors so it was sort of like getting it for free. All I got with it was the deck. I cant wait to tinker with it a little and clean it up a bit. Thanks for the tip on the steering.

Jack..

#6 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 09:47 PM

Jack, You got a great deal and as Troy said, I wouldn't do anything to it but clean it up and show it. Very Nice JD :thumbs:
  • Jack said thank you

#7 slkpk OFFLINE  

slkpk
  • Member No: 10413
  • 10 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted September 25, 2012 - 03:54 AM

Congrats and a very nice tractor. I've got a 64 also and us it every week for pulling a trailer around picking up sticks and I also like to use it when pulling my sprayer around with the manual trans in it. slkpk
  • Jack said thank you

#8 Kevin Vasich OFFLINE  

Kevin Vasich

• Member No: 7211
  • 87 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted September 25, 2012 - 02:10 PM

Nice Congrats on the find.
  • Jack said thank you