Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Need Help Asap From The Large Frame Guys!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 02:00 PM

Hello, Im thinking of buying a large 1250. The owner states that he accidently caught a wall with the snowblower and now the pto bearing is screwed up?? Also there is a hydro trans fluid leak coming down the very front/middle of the trans. It apperars to be the seal for the drive shaft, but I cant tell for sure because there is the big finned cooler blocking my view. Are these things a pain to fix?? Are parts available?? Anything I should be aware of??

#2 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 02:25 PM

The pump leak are you sure it is the driveshaft area if so easy fix. If it is the oring around the pump then a little harder will need to remove the pump to fix it. Also make sure it is not just leaking around the parking pawl. As for parts we have all you need here from seals to the bearings and so on.

#3 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 03:19 PM

Does the pto no longer spin?

The eaton 12 is not hard to reseal We are doing one right now. The hard part is takeing it in and out of the tractor. :D

#4 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 03:20 PM

Cool, Im thinking if its the large oring the part is still somewhat cheap, but the repair is just more labor intensive?? This machine will most likely end up with my dad. He gave me his tube frame 1050, 3 yrs ago and has regreted it since. He has a craftsman beater that when he pulls a trailer it smokes the belt, and when he mows it beats the snot out of him. He likes the craftsman because its small, manuverable, and fast. But hes been bugging me for a bolens to do some brute work, and possibly mow. Is the 1250 a decent machine for mowing, does it move at a decent pace(faster than a tube frame)?? His biggest complaint about the 1050 was it mowed too slow for him, so hopefully the 1250 will be better.

#5 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 03:26 PM

The guy had the belts off the pto when we showed up. He said he hit a wall accidently and it ruined the bearing?? Hopefully it isnt too bad.

#6 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 03:40 PM

The guy had the belts off the pto when we showed up. He said he hit a wall accidently and it ruined the bearing?? Hopefully it isnt too bad.

Can you spin the pto by hand? Does this tractor have a deck to?
You can buy the big orings from mcmaster they come in a bag of so many I dont remeber how many and how much they are... but you need two sizes. Once you do it 3 or 4 times it get simpler to work on them.... :D

#7 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 03:54 PM

I am going to take my last peek at it now. Im gonna check to make sure the housing didnt crack or break, and see it I can spin the pto by hand. The tractor comes with a deck, blower and chain. Just hoping that if my dad dont like it, I can get my money back out of it.

#8 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 07:55 PM

Well I checked out the 1250. The motor was not original, it ran ok, but needed to be partially choked to stay running, and it wouldn't idle. Also the motor was shaking so bad I thought the engine mounts were shoot, but it didn't look like it. The trans chaddered when taking off, and when I stopped and looked underneath it was dripping pretty bad. I went to check the trans fluid and the guy had snapped off the filler cap/dip stick into the rear-end housing. It also had a half fast exhaust system, car/trucksnows for rear tires(kinda worn), a aftermarket seat, and the steering would turn great to the right, but not really turn at all to the left. As far as the pto problem goes. I laid down under the machine and spun the pto and checked for play. I was puzzled because it seemed fine. So I traced where the belts "should be." Well the guy lied by saying the pto shaft under the tractor just needed a bearing because he accidently hit a wall with the blower on. It ended up being the pulley/shaft that I believe engaged the pto belts was missing something, It was pretty much riding on the surronding metal and wore the shaft right out and there was metal shavings everywhere. So Then I knew why he removed the pto belts, because even with the pto dis-engaged this pulley and shaft would spin and probably make ALOT of noise.I could of picked the tractor, blower, mower deck, and chains up for $300 but I have enough projects started, and not enough time as it is. I called my dad, and he didn't really want to get invovle. So I passed!

#9 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,518 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 08:25 PM

Sounds like you made the right choice. There will be others coming along.

#10 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 08:33 PM

Sounds like you made the right choice. There will be others coming along.

Well to be honest I have 6 tube frames, and a ht20 I can restore. I started working on 1- 1050 and Im almost done with mocking everything up on it. I hope to finish it up soon and then tear it down for sandblasting and paint. Then next will be the ht20. SOOO, I guess I better cool down on the buying, and finish some started projects(my dads advice).

#11 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,518 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted September 25, 2012 - 10:34 AM

I think it would be great if you could fix up something for your Dad that he would enjoy using. Probably make you feel pretty good also.