Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Kohler K321s From Case 222 To A Dynamark/mf14?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 frenchy OFFLINE  

frenchy

• Member No: 2666
  • 29 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 01:12 PM

Everyone knows my saga with my Dynamark/MF14 K321 engine... I found a Case 222 with a K321S with a different serial number. Will this work with my tractor? I've seen the pics and it looks like this engine wasn't even the original for this tractor, but it works so for $200 i'm willing to slap it on.... thoughts?

#2 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,277 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 05:25 PM

At present, I only own one horizontal Kohler, so I'm not a great source of info...

I think that different manufacturers used different oil sumps and not all sumps have the same bolt pattern to the frame. I also think i remember that not all sumps are interchangeable with all blocks. I tried to find the thread about that, but can't remember the content well enough to search for it.

Hope one of the Kohler guys chime in.
  • frenchy said thank you

#3 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 07:15 PM

I am almost certain all the Case engines had stub crankshaft outputs. This engine being a K321S is the same in all other areas, but the spec number denotes other special features, and this stub crank cannot accept the pto clutch on the MF models....less than half long enough.
All the Case tractors I've seen, Kohler or Onan equipped had the stubby cranks. Just long enough for a loveJoy coupling to slide onto.
I don't think they could have used a std length crankshafted engine in the Case due to limited room in the rear, and the pic you sent in the PM appeared to have a std hydraulic pump mount on the engine. And the spec number on this engine may match as std length crank engine, but all you have to do is cut the crank down on a std engine to fit into the Case. And it is a K321, so it's not correct for the 222 Case, as it should have a K301.
  • MH81 and frenchy have said thanks

#4 frenchy OFFLINE  

frenchy

• Member No: 2666
  • 29 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 07:45 PM

Thanks guys for the valuable input! Saved me $180 and a 200km trip! Can always count on the pros in here!