9 replies to this topic

#1 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 12:56 PM

I am going to go look at a Yanmar 155D tonight after work.
Any tips on what to look for would be apreciated.
I don't know of any issues peculiar to Yanmar?

I also have been trying to see a Kubota B6200E, but the dealer has it at another store and has not gotten it back to Des Moines so I can see it.

#2 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,473 Thanks
  • 5,007 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 03:19 PM

Ease of starting. Engine blow by. Radiator for stop leak of any kind. Steering slop. Does it shift in and out of all gears including all wheel drive smoothly. Check for overheating. Do the hydraulics work as they should. Excessive oil leakage. Tires can get expensive so check them closely. Do the brakes work. Next is important, does the glow plugs or manifold pre-heater work. You'll never get it started when it cold out if they don't. If the owner tells you it needs a little shot of either to start walk away as fast as you can because it is likely suffering from low compression. Do not use either on these small engines. Also "It's done or sounded like that as long as I've owned it" is not a viable excuse for something not working correctly. When you get a little time after looking at it check to see if parts are readily available for a tractor that old.
Good luck with your inspection.
  • JD DANNELS said thank you

#3 sacsr ONLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 05:24 PM

I have a 187d Yanmar, so far most of the items needed, I have able to find either at Hoyes or Jamiesons. Tractorbynet has a pretty strong Yanmar forum where you should be able to gathering info Good luck!

#4 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 07:22 PM

well i took a pass on this one. motor started and sounded good but was weak would hardly pull itself in high/high.

owner said he had never touched it in 12 yrs, so maybe adjusting the vallves would have straightened it out.

pto cover had not been off in the 12 yrs he owned it but it worked ok.

my real problem came in the way the right front wheel wobbled .

it might be worth the $1750 he was asking and if the
kubota does not pan out

#5 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,473 Thanks
  • 5,007 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 08:35 PM

It's good the "gotta have it" didn't get in the way of your better judgement. The fornt end problem was a good catch on your part.

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 09:48 PM

It's good the "gotta have it" didn't get in the way of your better judgement. The fornt end problem was a good catch on your part.

The ""gotta have it" is really that I only have 5k to get a tractor and the implements to maintain my property.
I have to be careful not to buy a money pit and have nothing left to do the work with. The tractor is just a power unit.

The front end issue could be very easy to fix or could run into a lot of money' I could turn the sterring wheel and the king pin turn 1/3 turn between catches. I understand that Yanmar used a key in the kingpin thst tend to wear. So that could be as easy as changing the key.
Or could be badly worn internals.?

If it were not for that, I probably would have gone for it, with the hope that a valve adjustment and running power service through the fuel system would have straightened out the engine.

I stumbled on to a Ford 1500 tonight on craig list and have an email into the owner too.
If I can remain paitent the right deal will come.

Edited by JD DANNELS, September 24, 2012 - 09:52 PM.

#7 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,473 Thanks
  • 5,007 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 10:19 PM

If I can remain patient the right deal will come.

This is the Key to success.
If I'm not mistaken that Ford 1500 is in the 13 to 15 hp range, two wheel drive and the manufacturer is no longer in business. I don't know what attachments your looking to use but something in the 18 to 20hp range will do a lot more work and the physical size of the tractor will be quite a bit larger. Just something to think on.

#8 sacsr ONLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted September 25, 2012 - 06:16 AM

I found my 187d at a JD dealer in PA a couple of years ago. It had around 585 hours and a bush hog fel. 1 owner. Paid $4200 for it. I waited and searched for a good while, patience and prayer can work miracles ( little luck helps too!) it is out there waiting to be found!

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 25, 2012 - 10:56 AM

This is the Key to success.
If I'm not mistaken that Ford 1500 is in the 13 to 15 hp range, two wheel drive and the manufacturer is no longer in business. I don't know what attachments your looking to use but something in the 18 to 20hp range will do a lot more work and the physical size of the tractor will be quite a bit larger. Just something to think on.

According to Tractor Data the 1500 is rated at 19.9 hp and 17.2 at the PTO. Has 9.5 X24 tires as opposed to the 16" on the one I looked at last night and weighs about 800 ;lbs more. So yes it's a bit bigger.
Implements needed are a mower, rear blade, plow & disc and a tool bar to mount hiller discs since we do a lot of gardening.
So while the bigger machine will be less agile in the garden, I have 8.9 acres to turn it around (as opposed to "give me 40 acres and I'll turn this thing around"). Going down to see this one this afternoon, so will update you tonight.

#10 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,473 Thanks
  • 5,007 posts

Posted September 25, 2012 - 05:27 PM

That sounds like the perfect size tractor. Hope the inspection goes well for you.
Posted Image