14 replies to this topic

#1 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 12:27 PM

Well another season for the most part is over for us here #$@%^&%$%#@. I have been covering the garden for two weeks now at night. Temps in the low 30s have taken its toll. We have had snow three times already doun to about 10,000ft. The aspens are pretty though !!!.
You all may remember that back in May the temps were very mild for our area and I had the itch to get an early start on the garden. I planted onion starts, lettuce, potatoes and two weeks later corn. All survived but the corn. I planted my second crop 30 days later and all survived but the corn. Two weeks later the second crop was as big as the first and looked very healthy and the onions and lettuce from the first were bolting already. The potatoes were flowering and all of the first crop looked sick.
Though this has been my best year yet at gardening, I will not plant that early again. The yields from the first crop were not worth the effert, I think that cold groung temps and late snows/frost hurt the early growth of the plants. I did finally get corn growing and it looked great up till two weeks ago.
I really need one more month please!!!!. I have really enjoyed the season though and the family likes the fresh veggies so all is good!

#2 twostacks OFFLINE  

twostacks

• Member No: 6470
  • 447 Thanks
  • 426 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 01:12 PM

I've made the mistake of planting early with poor results too. I love the experimenting and learning process of growing a garden. Funny story... my Grandfather used to always tell us kids that we shouldn't plant some vegetables in the garden until you could sit on the ground with your bare bottom and not feel cold. I think he just wanted to see if we'd try it. I never did, but I've often wondered about it.

#3 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted September 26, 2012 - 12:42 AM

I've made the mistake of planting early with poor results too. I love the experimenting and learning process of growing a garden. Funny story... my Grandfather used to always tell us kids that we shouldn't plant some vegetables in the garden until you could sit on the ground with your bare bottom and not feel cold. I think he just wanted to see if we'd try it. I never did, but I've often wondered about it.

Well that does it, I will be bare bottom'n it next spring!!! :orangecool:

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,479 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted September 26, 2012 - 05:40 AM

Just don't share the pics of that!

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted September 26, 2012 - 05:46 AM

speedyg don't get too discouraged , your story reminds me of when I would plant 3/4 of the garden very early somethings the seeds would just rot because it took long too sprout , the neighbor would plant his WEEKS later and we were picking the same time lol . I learned to pick and chose crops that worked well early for me and not try to too early on others . I have some threads on early crops and fall planting . Ive had good luck planting Sept & Oct. for early spring crops , , with a little help , , Al

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 26, 2012 - 10:17 AM

Speedy: you will have to work out what works in your conditions. But at your altitude it's always goin to be a crap shoot.
I've driven in several snow storms in July and August out in your part of the country.

#7 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted September 26, 2012 - 01:57 PM

Spinach is about the plant I know that germinate in the cold.

#8 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 11:39 PM

Just don't share the pics of that!

:ok:

#9 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 11:49 PM

speedyg don't get too discouraged , your story reminds me of when I would plant 3/4 of the garden very early somethings the seeds would just rot because it took long too sprout , the neighbor would plant his WEEKS later and we were picking the same time lol . I learned to pick and chose crops that worked well early for me and not try to too early on others . I have some threads on early crops and fall planting . Ive had good luck planting Sept & Oct. for early spring crops , , with a little help , , Al

Alc I am getting better, though I spend a fair amount of time trying to protect the garden from mother nature. Have you ever used cold boxes? I will look for your past posts on the subject. thanks.

#10 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 11:56 PM

Speedy: you will have to work out what works in your conditions. But at your altitude it's always goin to be a crap shoot.
I've driven in several snow storms in July and August out in your part of the country.

How true JD. I will be spending some time this winter trying to figure out a better way to protect the garden next year, ladders and tarps just aint cutting it!!! :0

#11 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 11:58 PM

Spinach is about the plant I know that germinate in the cold.

I also have heard the same. thanks.

#12 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted October 01, 2012 - 07:44 AM

speedy I do have some threads and maybe I'll post some new info from this fall for you guys , Al

#13 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 11:53 PM

speedy I do have some threads and maybe I'll post some new info from this fall for you guys , Al

I would be greatful Alc,I enjoy my garden, but I am not ready to end the season when mother nature is. :)

#14 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 06:18 PM

Here's some pictures I took yesterday 10/6 , in the raised bed I let the tomatoes get too wild and too many of the small types anyway ,and the peppers are too big to for the pvc hoops I made anyway , I'll need to make taller ones next time those are 5' lengths here's the thread of when they were made . I want to make some of of metal conduit emt that I can put over the plants to extend the season . The peppers are still getting flowers but not for long our avg first date id 10/10 so it's just a matter of time before they'll need to be covered .Those peppers in the center picture are not in a raised bed , Al
http://gardentractor...ady-for-winter/

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0106.JPG
  • DSCN0107.JPG
  • DSCN0108.JPG

#15 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted October 16, 2012 - 07:26 PM

Here's some pictures I took yesterday 10/6 , in the raised bed I let the tomatoes get too wild and too many of the small types anyway ,and the peppers are too big to for the pvc hoops I made anyway , I'll need to make taller ones next time those are 5' lengths here's the thread of when they were made . I want to make some of of metal conduit emt that I can put over the plants to extend the season . The peppers are still getting flowers but not for long our avg first date id 10/10 so it's just a matter of time before they'll need to be covered .Those peppers in the center picture are not in a raised bed , Al
http://gardentractor...ady-for-winter/

Thanks for the photos and the link to your post. Your peppers look great ! I harvested mine, they had stopped growing. I got six small to medium peppers, my personal best :). The tent that I put over my lettuce and onions is working, so I think there is somthing to it.