• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,718 Thanks
  • 872 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 07:20 AM

Gentlemen; i have been looking at the plow day events posted on this site, they look like they would be interesting, fun and informative, i just got a beauty of a tiller for my wheel horse 414-8 and thought i could put a plow on it also, it will never see a mower deck again, even though the one for it is great condition, will this tractor pull a 10 or 12 inch plow, and which would be better ( we have very little top soil here) do most plows fit or am i better to go wheel horse brands, and how much should a decent one cost, and any brand names i should look for? im thinking of ag tires or would chains be better? thanks for any input. farmer john

#2 josh deaven OFFLINE  

josh deaven

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 535
  • 477 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 08:37 AM

I would get a 10in brinly.I would also get some wheel weights or even fill your rear tires.I have plowed with turfs tires they will work, but bar tires are better. Hope this helps. :thumbs:
  • farmer john said thank you

#3 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 08:48 AM

Chains on your turfs will work but if its in the budget slap some ags on it if it's only going to plow. Wheel weights are probably needed also... I prefer them over filling my tires as you can take the weights off when they are not needed....

#4 Cat385B OFFLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,925 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 09:02 AM

I agree that a 10" plow would work best. I am also in agreement that rear wheel weights, loading the rear rims with fluid, adding chains to the rear tires, or switching out to an ag (R1) style tire will bring better results when you plow.

Your WH uses a bracket to attach the tiller that shares compatibility to the front snow/dirt plow mount. You will need to add a sleeve (clevis) hitch to the rear to pull a single bottom plow.

Shown here:
http://www.partstree...9-_9590002-0001

I also saw a link that calls the clevis hitch a 'tiller' hitch. Does your WH have that part already? If so, you're good to go.

Toro_Classic_sleevehitch.jpg

Edited by Cat385B, September 24, 2012 - 09:10 AM.

#5 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 02:01 PM

I'd recommend Ag tires filled with RimGuard. RimGuard is heavier than winter windshield wiper fluid, won't freeze until -37C, non corrosive, environmentally friendly, and won't poison any pets/animals if it spills. If you still need traction, then add wheel weights as well.

I have two tractors with AGs, and one tractor with ATV tires. I really like the ATVs, but finding ATV tiles in your size will be almost impossible.

As for the plow, you can probably pull a 12", but the 10" plows are going to be a lot easier to find. Look for either the Brinly or Ohio Steel plows. IF you find a 12" they have the added option of a 'depth gauge wheel' which makes setting up the plow a little easier than the 10" ones.

One of our members, olcowhand, is making some depth gauge wheels for the BRINLY 10" plow at a very reasonable price, so that may be an option. However, shipping to "The Great White North" might be a problem.

Here's his post on it in the classifieds:
http://gardentractor...gauge-assembly/

#6 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 05:38 PM

I agree with all the above statements.
10" better than 12", Ag tires better than turfs, weight is a must.

I have been using my SS12 for a couple years with the OEM turf tires and a set of 4 link chains. It's done almost everything I've asked of it and I've been very happy with the results so far.

I had 65lbs of steel weights on each tire, until last weekend. I installed my new (used) ATV tires, mounted the 65# per back on and then filled each tire with an additional 50# of fluid. Hoping to avoid the chains from now on, but if I have to, I will put them back on. I will be putting the snowblower back on soon and the extra weight will help with the extra weight out front.

#7 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 06:20 PM

OK, I agree with all said but want to add one thing. Don't bother with any bigger than a 10" plow, because chances are, you won't be able to pull it trouble free. You want to have fun, so buy what is suggested so far.

#8 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,718 Thanks
  • 872 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 06:44 PM

thank you for the advice, i will look for a 10 inch, a fellow has a 10 inch brinley 1 1/2 hr away, i think he wants $200 for it ( that $225 us, our dollars doing good for a change) i think it might be too much, but its in new condition. i live 30 min from the US boarder and have a US mailbox to ship one too if i find one in the states, thanks all farmer john

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 07:24 PM

Yes, definitely go with the 10". You will have severe traction issues with a 12" in anything other than sandy/loose soils.

#10 Bolens iseki OFFLINE  

Bolens iseki

• Member No: 4828
  • 2 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 08:41 PM

i just went to a plow day and a 10'' plow made the 4x4 iseki work