#1 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 04:14 AM

Well we are about 3/4 done cutting silage for an area farmer. Driving silage truck this year. About 400 to go. Here are some pics of the process.
These are the cow barns.
The Barns.JPG
Here are a few out in the field.
Opening a New Field.JPG Being Loaded.JPG Loading.JPG Finishing a Cut.JPG Finishing a Cut.JPG Loaded.JPG
The off to the pile.
Few few pics of the pile from the field.
The Pile 1.JPG The Pile.JPG Unloading  at the Pile.JPG
  • olcowhand, tractormike and daytime dave have said thanks

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 05:08 AM

That looks like a large operation Ducky. It's quite amazing the sheer volume of silage that comes off a given area.

#3 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 05:48 AM

Thanks for the pictures Ducky! It sure doesn't take long to chop a field with big equipment like that. Back in the early 1970's when I was still on the farm we had a one row chopper and 2 wagons to fill silo with.

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 06:42 AM

Thanks for the pictures. The size & scope of these newer farming operations truly amaze me.

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,495 Thanks
  • 39,727 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 06:59 AM

Great pics, Ducky! Glad it's about to wrap up for you folks!

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 08:25 AM

Thanks for the pictures Ducky! It sure doesn't take long to chop a field with big equipment like that. Back in the early 1970's when I was still on the farm we had a one row chopper and 2 wagons to fill silo with.

Same here Mike, a one row "Papec" chopper, and 2 small front/side unloading wagons.

#7 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 09:58 AM

That's a large operation there. Thanks for the photographs.

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 10:03 AM

Thanks for the visuals ducky! I have to ask...how does the truck driver know when his truck needs to drive further up....when the silage comes over the side? Or does the chopper driver let you know? I'd think he has enough to do without watching the truck.

#9 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 10:56 AM

Thanks for the pictures, that is quite an operation. Large scale farming like that we don't see around here that is for sure.

#10 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

JDGuy445
  • Member No: 10419
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 11:59 AM

Looks like Rosendale Dairy. Neat pictures! A few custom guys have large choppers here. Seen only a few in action though.

#11 twostacks OFFLINE  

twostacks

• Member No: 6470
  • 447 Thanks
  • 426 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 02:07 PM

That was one of my favorite times of the year. We were small potatoes compared to what you have there. We farmed with Olivers and had a two row Fox chopper and two Grove wagons for a 60' silo. We stopped trench filling before my time. As far as the enjoyment, I wonder if anything is lost when you go to that scale of farming. Nothing like open station tractors.
  • JDGuy445 said thank you

#12 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

JDGuy445
  • Member No: 10419
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 03:39 PM

That's for sure^. We had a 2-row Deere chopper, 3 wagons, a 20x50 Harvestore, 18x34 Harvestore, 16x40 Stave. All three tractors were open-station. A John Deere 4040, 2520 New Gen and 3020 with narrow front. Dad ran the wagons and silo filler, while Grandpa was out in the field with the harvester. Sure brings memories back when I see other folks chopping corn. Nowadays I see either Amish or it's a custom crew like in those pictures. We were one of last few guys in the neighborhood with such an operation. The first cabbed tractor I stepped in was just about 7 years ago when Dad was running pull-back tractor at the fair. Seldom did I see a cabbed tractor. They do seem to be slowly taking over though.

Edited by JDGuy445, September 24, 2012 - 03:41 PM.

#13 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted September 27, 2012 - 08:04 PM

That is quite an operation. Thanks for the cool pictures. My Grandfather drives truck for a big farm up the road from me. They do about 400-500 acres.

#14 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 10:11 AM

Thanks for the visuals ducky! I have to ask...how does the truck driver know when his truck needs to drive further up....when the silage comes over the side? Or does the chopper driver let you know? I'd think he has enough to do without watching the truck.

The chopper sets the speed when we open a field and we follow. We set the speed with the truck when along side. We can here the chopper and set the speed so the chopper operator can pull up to the front of the truck and drop back as needed when loading. There is a camera mounted on the cap of the chopper and and a video screen in the cab so the operator can see were he is blowing the silage behind him when opening fields or running to the side. There is also a camera on the back of the chopper for backing. The head has a row finder so that the chopper will follow the row with out operator intervention. He can also lock in the speed we are running and the chopper will hold that speed. All he does is monitor the loading of the truck and just the chopper as needed to load the total length of the truck. Those Meyers trailers are 36 feet long and will hold a little over 25 ton of silage depending on moisture. Every load is scaled so we know how much silage is in the pile. I will ask what that # is when I talk to them next week.

We just finished the last silage yesterday afternoon. Ran very good for the year we had. Some fields ran as high 22 ton/acre. We did hit 25 ton/acre on one 80 but that was an exception. Next week we will start high moisture corn and poo hauling. He has 3 8000 gallon tankers for poo duty. Then it will be time chisel all the corn ground and last year hay ground.
  • KennyP said thank you