i did vinager b4 goin to get couple gallons tonight for the lauson project

#18 Sam OFFLINE  

Sam

• Contributor
  • Member No: 255
  • 71 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted January 15, 2013 - 06:11 PM

I had good results with vinegar, just remember to neutralise the acid once its out or it will rerust very quickly.

A month or so ago i dropped some very heavily rusted wheels into the vinegar bucket and promptly forgot about them, i remembered this evening and when i pulled them out i was pleased to see that the thick heavy rust had turned to mush, you could almost wipe it off.

As they were forgotten for a month i have no idea how long it took to get to that stage but im in no rush.

My next plan is an electrolysis tank big enough for the gravely attachments, i cant afford the vinegar for the amount that would need ;)

#19 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted January 15, 2013 - 06:26 PM

Don't know how well it works over the long run, but I've been using "Flood Penetrol" as  primer on badly rusted metal cleaned off w/ a cup brush. It seems to bond very well w/ the metal and dries super smooth. It takes several hrs in warm weather to dry. I first used it on a cart I built for my chop saw. Sprayed one coat on the cart, let it dry good and sprayed 2 coats of paint over it. Gave it two weeks for everything to harden good and whacked it with the pointed end of my slag hammer hard enough to dent the metal and the paint didn't chip. I have a large black metal spider I built several yrs ago and the paint was starting to peel. I knocked all the loose stuff off w/ a wire brush, sprayed a coat of penetrol on it, let it dry and sprayed two coats of black on it. That was a yr ago and it's been in the sun the whole time and looks as good as the day I painted it.

Mike