#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted September 23, 2012 - 12:40 PM

Have 10hp engine in Farm King MTD. Went to Briggs site and put in Mod, and got the parts manual fine. I don't see how to bring up a service manual for it or engines in general. I need to know what the wires are coming from stator and under flywheel. All are black (Thanks BS) and not sure correct connection. One is going to lights on tractor I think, and one has goofy little snap-on connector. Not sure what it's function is. Want to know what wires to points are and where. I have no spark and wanted to hook up batt to wire to feed power to points. NOW, looking at wire diagram in tractor manual (very poor) it looks like switch shows a Mag terminal on it. That seem right to have mag on Briggs? I need service manual to help me test and ID the system. Points and condensor looked brand new under the cover. Can't see where wire goes to points there, maybe have to dig further?? Sure lots diff than K engines and kinda lost. Maybe I can take a page from parts and show which stator I have? Scan shows info on back of page, sorry if not clear. Mine is lower left corner with snap connectors and fuse holder shown on it. Upper right is pretty much the points/coil I have.

Attached Thumbnails

• 001.jpg

Edited by glgrumpy, September 23, 2012 - 12:46 PM.

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted September 23, 2012 - 01:15 PM

Just a note: Went to epay and got couple manuals, one a book and one on CD with lots of info, so good to go on that I guess. Now, just have to Wait.....and Wait.....durn!

#3 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 3,988 posts

Posted September 23, 2012 - 01:45 PM

Which B&S model is it. Maybe I have the all engines book - but in german. Sure I have different B&S-books in english, in pdf format.

#4 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,302 Thanks
  • 4,657 posts

Posted September 23, 2012 - 02:31 PM

They just don't make "Chiltons" manuals for small engines do they?? There is too much variation model to model and the book would be huge! I'd save the cash on the book and pop the flywheel and mark/paint the wire from the points.. I've had good luck by searching for the manual, finding the P/N of it and then re-searching for that and finding the best deal on a new or used one.. It's a little labor intensive but I'm a cheapskate and I've had good luck in the cyber kingdom doing that! :orangecool:

Edited by WNYTractorTinkerer, September 23, 2012 - 02:32 PM.

#5 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted September 23, 2012 - 05:18 PM

DO NOT SEND POWER TO THE POINTS! Unless it has an automotive style external coil it will fry the magneto.

One of the black wires going under the flywheel is to ground the points or magneto to shut off the engine. The magneto is part #333 in the upper right corner diagram.

Edited by GTTinkerer, September 23, 2012 - 05:22 PM.

#6 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8128
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted September 23, 2012 - 05:56 PM

From your description, you have a dual circuit alternator. The wire from the fuse holder is 3 amp DC+ for charging the battery. The other wire with the snap connector is 14 volts AC for the lights.

Here's the service manual:

http://gardentractor...ines-1919-1981/

#7 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted September 23, 2012 - 07:53 PM

Wow! Looks like pretty old models in that book. I'll pass on that one. I have two I got on epay as noted above, much later years and will wait for them. I DID find a parts manual off BS site to download and have that now. Yes, looked at wires on tractor today and ONE goes to the light switch as noted and other seems to go to batt thru the amp gauge. That one other small black one might be ground then??

#8 bh115577 OFFLINE  

bh115577
  • Member No: 9791
  • 434 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 06:12 AM

I have the Briggs manual if you'd like it. PM your email and a bit more info about it such as single cyl. L head or Pro series single or whatever it is. The files I have are listed by the name and not spec numbers.

#9 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,716 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 07:26 AM

The coil that is shown in the upper right of your picture should have a small wire coming from it and it should go to the points. If it doesn't have a small wire coming out of it, it may have been changed to electronic ignition. If so, it will have a trigger between the coil and one leg of the armature. The stator has nothing to do with ignition.

#10 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted September 26, 2012 - 04:31 PM

Got new manual for Briggs engines and looks complicated!! Today got a manual and more info on a CD and it is Great and easy to understand. Has section on wiring types and mine is in there. Connections are as mentioned in earlier posts. Cleaned, set points, sanded off the magnets and coil ends. Tried diff plug. Still no spart when moving flywheel by hand at least. Wires seem OK, pulled points back and looked at connections and around on the mag coil. Still reading up on test checks. Seems there is a spark check gag tool to hook up on plug wire. I don't have that, just the plug. Seems what I am doing is correct to test, but no results. Have to look for next step? Good carb info in same CD. This CD is pages from earlier manual, one of which I also have coming. Older one is much easier to understand, maybe because it hasn't got all those fancy New type engines in it??

Engine numbers here:
Model 251417 Type 0183-01 serial 77020712

Translating to 25 CI, 1 design, 4 Horizontal, 1 plain bearing, 7 electric start gear drive
Ser 77 year, 02 Feb. 07 day, the 7th, 12 Plant and line.