Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Welcome to Garden Tractor Talk Forums

GTtalk is the place to go if you are a garden tractor collector or someone looking for information on your favorite tractor. We have interactive forums, registry, tractor / implement manuals, photo galleries, articles, show coverage, tech tips, how tos, classifieds and much more.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which provides limited access. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate with other members, vote on polls, upload images and attachments as well as many other special features. Registration is quick and easy and best of all completely free!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Photo
- - - - -

Case 648

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 172 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted August 01, 2010 - 07:23 PM

cool little machine. i cant believe how rugged (or how much it weighs)
it will lift two fat guys no problem. but it wont drive over a 20" hill in low gear at WOT
its got 500 hours on it. i was thinking the hydraulic oil but the loader works great?
i thought maybe there was a lot of play in the linkage or something because it takes 1/2 throttle to get it moving but i cant see anything thats sticks out. thanksIMG00266.jpg
IMG00274.jpg

what is this /\
IMG00269.jpg
IMG00267.jpg
looks like a hard time in there LOL
IMG00268.jpg
seems like a nice machine. never had something like this with power steering.

#2 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 60
  • 533 Thanks
  • 1,988 posts

Posted August 01, 2010 - 08:16 PM

Very nice!!!!! According to what I've read about them, that is one heavy duty loader! I believe it was the last GT loader model produced by Case??

#3 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 68 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted August 01, 2010 - 08:25 PM

Mike,
That's a very honest machine. It's even better than I thought it would be. One thing I did not mention in my PM to you is that item you are asking about. The 648 is the only Case loader tractor to have an oil filter for the hydraulic system. I suggest that you order a new filter element for it. Send me a PM if you do not have a local Ingersoll dealer and I will hook you up with an honest one who will not overcharge and gives tremendous service. He will work with you over the phone or by e-mail and ship parts to you fast by USPS.

I'm happy you got that one and I think once we take care of the few minor issues, you will quickly learn to love it.

#4 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 21,286 Thanks
  • 24,818 posts

Posted August 01, 2010 - 09:32 PM

Geez....I have never seen one in such great original condition! :dancingbanana: No matter what it is, it's well worth the cost to get it moving well again. Maybe it's just the filter, but could be something else, hopefully not the hydraulic motor. Yes, it's parts are pretty compacted, so working on it can be challenging.

#5 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• 172 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted August 01, 2010 - 11:24 PM

Very nice!!!!! According to what I've read about them, that is one heavy duty loader! I believe it was the last GT loader model produced by Case??

Yes, the 648 were made from 1980-1988 or something like that. Then they were the Ingersoll 6018

Mike,
That's a very honest machine. It's even better than I thought it would be. One thing I did not mention in my PM to you is that item you are asking about. The 648 is the only Case loader tractor to have an oil filter for the hydraulic system. I suggest that you order a new filter element for it. Send me a PM if you do not have a local Ingersoll dealer and I will hook you up with an honest one who will not overcharge and gives tremendous service. He will work with you over the phone or by e-mail and ship parts to you fast by USPS.

I'm happy you got that one and I think once we take care of the few minor issues, you will quickly learn to love it.

Too late! I love it just looking at it. I cant imagine what itll be like when I get it to move more than 4mph downhill LOL
Are you talking about Brian Hildert? I sent him a manual for an email, hydraulic filter, and ignition switch.
Thanks for all your help!

Geez....I have never seen one in such great original condition! :dancingbanana: No matter what it is, it's well worth the cost to get it moving well again. Maybe it's just the filter, but could be something else, hopefully not the hydraulic motor. Yes, it's parts are pretty compacted, so working on it can be challenging.

He told me its been stored inside its life and I believe it. Doesnt really look a day over 10. Most the ones I see are 644 and 646 and have an extra 10 years on this one, I think those were all from the 70s so its propably not a fair comparison.

#6 mastifflawyer OFFLINE  

mastifflawyer

Tractorholic

• Member No: 261
  • 33 Thanks
  • 154 posts

Posted August 02, 2010 - 05:22 AM

As Hydriv pointed out, once you get the little things worked out everything will be fine. There is only one pump, so if the loader is working strong you just need some tweaking on the drive system. Also, if you are used to Case-Ingy groundspeeds, the low gear is substantially slower than any other model. It seems like a creeper gear. And in effect that is how it functions. Use that gear to perform any digging, scraping, or heavy lifting.

I have had mine for three years and use it all the time. I have all the parts to redo the loose front end, but have never wanted it down long enough to to do the job.

You are really going to become attached to this tractor. Make sure you post questions as they come up. Here's my 648 (sort of as it has a 20HP Onan)

Attached Thumbnails

• side648.jpg

#7 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• 172 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted August 02, 2010 - 06:31 PM

Thanks, yours looks even nicer
The low gear is real steep like you say. But it wont go up 10degree grade. hydriv told me to change the oil first and well go from there. Thanks again

Did you know the hydraulic filter is $96???

Edited by mikebramel, August 02, 2010 - 10:48 PM.

#8 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • 68 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted August 02, 2010 - 07:11 PM

If that's the price just for the filter element than I'm sorry I suggested you go the OEM route. Had I known that Ingersoll was charging anywhere near that kind of money, I would have suggested that you remove the OEM cannister and install an aftermarket filter housing that takes spin on cartridges.

#9 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 748 Thanks
  • 3,285 posts

Posted August 02, 2010 - 09:14 PM

If that's the price just for the filter element than I'm sorry I suggested you go the OEM route. Had I known that Ingersoll was charging anywhere near that kind of money, I would have suggested that you remove the OEM cannister and install an aftermarket filter housing that takes spin on cartridges.

Think Fleetguard might have some thing more reasonable.
Try to cross the Case # on there web site.

#10 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• 172 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted August 02, 2010 - 10:50 PM

Thanks for the help
I could not find a Case/case ih/case case ih 648 or ingersoll 648 on the fleetguard or wix website.
for $96 its going to be cheaper in the long run to get a new set up with spin on filters like hydriv said... i think

#11 mastifflawyer OFFLINE  

mastifflawyer

Tractorholic

• Member No: 261
  • 33 Thanks
  • 154 posts

Posted August 03, 2010 - 05:40 AM

Thanks, yours looks even nicer
The low gear is real steep like you say. But it wont go up 10degree grade. hydriv told me to change the oil first and well go from there. Thanks again

Did you know the hydraulic filter is $96???

An ebay picture can make anything look nice. Ever notice how people often spray tractors with water to make them look shiny? I have seen many ebay paint jobs as well. They look nice from a distance, but up close they are terrible. I remember one that the guy didn't sand anything, he just painted over the surface rust.

My 648 didn't even get the paint job.:smile1: I will one day tear it all down to do the maintenance and paint it then. I have to get in touch with Tony to have him make some decals, as our 648s do not appear on his website.

I have never priced a filter, as I was not going to replace the Rotella until I tear it down. I am not suprised at $96. I do not know but doubt that it is used on many other models so demand likely is low. Perhaps Hydriv can fill us in on that.

I would attempt to locate an aftermarket one as suggested, but if none show up I would bite the bullet and buy one when I did the oil change. I would not be happy, but wouldn't have to replace it for quite a while.

If you contacted Brian at Salem Power for the quote then you can be sure that it is fair. He may know of an aftermarket one. Also, I would run your symptoms by him and ask if it sounds like the banana plate is worn. I doubt that it is the cause but worth investigation. Jack

#12 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• 172 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted August 03, 2010 - 09:15 PM

I did get it from him. He said he didnt know of any cross over (guess its not a widely used part). Its price is on the border of using it or getting something else. Like you said it will last a long time. Do you know what the replacement interval for it is?

I ran it this morning and it seemed better cold. Still would not spin the tires when I loaded it up against a log. Change the fluid is the first thing to do

#13 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• 172 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted May 29, 2011 - 11:02 PM

Forgot to say that the filters on these are re-useable mesh screens. Not paper types

#14 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • 68 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted May 30, 2011 - 04:49 AM

Mike,
Those "filters" keep the rocks out of the pump. They don't filter the oil to 10 microns like the spin-on canisters do on the newer Ingersolls.

#15 wvbuzzmaster ONLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 2,066 Thanks
  • 5,707 posts

Posted May 30, 2011 - 04:57 AM

That is a great machine you have there, take good care of it, and it will do the same for you. :D