• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 ggsteve OFFLINE  

ggsteve

• Member No: 4164
  • 142 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted September 22, 2012 - 07:15 PM

The fuel in my portable gas generator (Husqvarna 5510 GN) is getting old, so the next time I have an empty gas can I plan on draining the gas out of the generator. Do you think I should refill it with gas to be ready for use or leave the tank empty? Full would mean it is ready but then the gas can go stale again. Empty would mean that I would have a maximum of 10 gallons (two 5 gal cans)of gas handy in emergency to run the generator, snowblowers, etc. What are your thoughts?

EDIT: I use Stabil in every can of gas.

Edited by ggsteve, September 22, 2012 - 07:29 PM.

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 22, 2012 - 07:26 PM

Best in my opinion to leave it full with fuel stabilizer. Then if it sits a while, take that fuel out to use in something else, then refill with fresh & treat again with stabilizer. Nothing better than having it ready when you need it at a moment's notice. I never have a problem with my genset using it this way. I do start it & run about 15 minutes every month also. Plus a full tank will help prevent the fuel tank from rusting.
  • ggsteve said thank you

#3 New.Canadian.DB.Owner ONLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted September 22, 2012 - 07:53 PM

I've gotten tired of cleaning gel out of my carbs. Curses on ethanol. I've Red Coated my metal tanks & store them all empty.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 22, 2012 - 07:58 PM

I've gotten tired of cleaning gel out of my carbs. Curses on ethanol. I've Red Coated my metal tanks & store them all empty.

Weird thing is, I've never had gel in any of my generators, but I have in one of my garden tractors, and it was used far more often than my gensets. The tank coatings are ALWAYS a good thing! :thumbs:

#5 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted September 22, 2012 - 08:00 PM

I kinda follow OCH's plan. I only keep 3-4gal of Stabil-ized fuel in it though(condensation be damned:D), then change out the gas every 6mos. into the tractor or car. I read someplace that when "excercising" the gen put a decent load on it for about 10 min./month. This keeps doing something good to the thingy in the electrical spinner whatchacallit. So I plug the small pancake compressor into it (20+amps to startup) and set the regulator to bleed air a bit. It cycles off and on and makes the generator do a slight grunt. (8000w Generac). Which reminds me, 'tis time to change oil for the winter season since we've "equinoxed" already.

#6 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted September 22, 2012 - 08:35 PM

I store mine full, no additives, 2yr old gas, the generator runs fine and no water or condensation buildup plus a source of fuel for something else if you really need it.
I think it would be better to store with some Stabilizer in it.

#7 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 23, 2012 - 04:13 AM

I to would and do leave mine full with stabilizer in it.

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 23, 2012 - 06:02 AM

Running the generator once a month is good practice. You know it's ready when you really need it and you are flushing out the carb monthly. I've also learned that locally at least, the high octane fuel does not contain alcohol. I learned this from an automotive consultant who is a retired instructor in auto mechanics. He is not happy that we now have up to 10% ethanol in fuel and uses only high test himself. This was confirmed when my favourite station reopened with new pumps. The low and mid grades are labelled on the pump with the 10% ethanol statement but High Octane is not. So if you are worried about ethanol you may be able to remove it from the equation pretty cheaply. I stabilize my fuel as well and rotate it every 6 months or so by burning it in the car.
I have a PTO generator for the 2320 as my backup so I just need to make sure I have diesel on hand. This is a good time of the year to be having this discussion it being hurricane season.

#9 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted September 23, 2012 - 06:17 AM

My generator is auto start and is set to start and run once every week, bu I found out the hard way, that isn't always true. We had storm knock out he power and it dint start, the battery cables were dirty, so now I manually start it once in a whie just to make sure.

#10 Grumpy OFFLINE  

Grumpy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 440
  • 642 Thanks
  • 578 posts

Posted September 23, 2012 - 08:18 AM

Mine may sit for 2 or 3 years, but when I need it, it may run for a week When I shut it down I drain the tank clean the carb. and change the oil I always keep 100 gal. of gas on hand and rotate it through may truck, car and GTs so it is always fresh. I use stable also.

#11 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted September 23, 2012 - 09:22 AM

I leave the fuel in with stabilizer. I test it once a year and put a load on it for a little while.

#12 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 23, 2012 - 09:30 AM

I also follow the same rules as "Olcowhand" except I run my Carb. out of gas each time I run it by turning off the valve.

#13 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,507 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted September 23, 2012 - 09:32 AM

Totally empty. I find it much easier to pour the stored gas into a car or tractor from a gas can than trying to empty a fuel tank of old gas. Put some STP in the oil so the engine stays lubed for long periods. My outboard motor is run dry in the fall and always starts right up in the spring. Forgot to do that one fall and I learned my lesson.

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,303 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted September 23, 2012 - 10:04 AM

I run them dry, then squirt some Blaster or Kroil in inlet to the carb on one & down the air filter on the other. Seems to be working well for us.

Dad's hasn't been run for 3 years at a time with no ill effects that we can determine. Didn't know you should work them once a month. Now that I know, something bad will happen, I'm sure :)

#15 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,744 Thanks
  • 8,919 posts

Posted September 23, 2012 - 11:01 AM

I use Power Service 911 in my diesel genny. Full of fuel, change out once per year. Which is much easier now that I have a diesel mower.