• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AV430 OFFLINE  

AV430

• Member No: 2370
  • 53 Thanks
  • 130 posts

Posted September 22, 2012 - 07:08 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It seems my "new to me" 1614 has excessive play at the axle pin. Can you guys tell me what I am in for, and what if any part numbers for bearings/ bushings I will need? Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2777.JPG
  • IMG_2778.JPG

#2 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted September 22, 2012 - 07:18 PM

How much play are we talking here? This could be anything from just taking the cotter pin out and giving the nut a couple of turns to taking the engine out, re-welding the nut on the inside (you may be able to do this from the underside, not sure, never had to do one) or replacing the bushings or bearings (whichever you discover you have). Jack up the front end (not using the axle assembly) and wiggle the front end and see what moves. If the pin moves, you might have a weld job ahead of you. If it doesn't move, you either have to tighten the nut or replace whatever you have in there.

#3 AV430 OFFLINE  

AV430

• Member No: 2370
  • 53 Thanks
  • 130 posts

Posted September 22, 2012 - 07:56 PM

Thanks David! The Pin does move when the tractor is jacked up.

#4 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted September 22, 2012 - 08:31 PM

Ok, chances are it was welded and the welds have broken. It's a very common thing with these tractors. Are you planning on taking this tractor apart to redo it? If so, it won't be a bad fix. If not, perhaps you should think about it and check your clutch and belts (if you have any) during that time.