• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shawn744 OFFLINE  

shawn744
  • Member No: 12128
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted September 22, 2012 - 10:32 AM

Hey guys, I really have no experience with tractors except to know that mine isn't working! Haha...my '95 Craftsman 42" lawn tractor with a 14HP Kohler engine won't start as of yesterday. I was sitting on it, talking to someone, then proceeded to start it, once it started turning over, i let go of the key as I was still in the middle of my sentence talking, then 10 seconds later when i turned the key again...nothing. No click, nothing. I know the battery is good, new, and still definitely has juice. I'm thinking it could either be a bad switch, OR I know that these tractors have a safety catch to start it by depressing the brake pedal, i'm thinking maybe the sensor or contact that controls that went bad. I just wanted to know if anyone had a similar experience, and could tell me where to start looking. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks so much. -Shawn

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted September 22, 2012 - 01:43 PM

Any or all of the safety switches and the key switches are suspect. If it were mine, the first thing I would do is check to see if you are getting voltage to the solenoid switching terminal when you turn the key.
A test light will work here, but a volt meter would be a better choice. You want to see if you have proper voltage at the little wire on the solenoid when someone is turning the key. It might have just picked that moment to quit on you. Just be careful, it could try to start without warning and you may have a finger or whatnot in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Oops, I almost forgot. :welcome: to GTTalk.
  • shawn744 said thank you

#3 shawn744 OFFLINE  

shawn744
  • Member No: 12128
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 04:22 PM

Thanks for the help Mod! Finally got it fixed...weirdest thing, I disassembled everything, the ignition switch, the fuse and holder, cleaned the insides of the machine..nothing worked...even though throughout this whole time, i heard the clicking when I turned on the key, so there was juice going to it. Finally before i gave up for the day, i figured let me bring the car over and try to jump it...That did the trick...then i thought, ok the battery which is only a year old must be dead....it wasn't, the battery was fine. And since then it works. Unbelievable... :/

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 05:11 PM

Sounds very much like a bad connector / corrosion.

I would say you have one of the two large ring terminals or the one on the starter growing white or green stuff and causing an intermittent connection. Or, as mentioned above, a failing solenoid.

I have had solenoids develop a bad spot before. They usually have a copper clad washer in there that is pulled up against the terminals where the wires hook on, completing the circuit. If it ever does it again, test for voltage at the starter terminal, then the output side of the solenoid, then the input.

If solenoid "clicking" but failing internally:
Starter, no V
Output of solenoid, No V
Input of solenoid, +12
switching wire, +12

Glad to hear you got her going, now get out there and get some seat time :)