sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted September 22, 2012 - 10:18 AM

After looking at all my options, I decided to give this unit a try......first time....paint was too thick and I think I was too far away....and I had the 1.8 nozzle in it...was using alot of paint and ended up with a heavy orange peal look........sanded it back down then repeated....but this time I used the smallest nozzle and thinned the paint further than 4 to 1......you will see the results......a great 5 footer....closer you get you will see more imperfections.....but I am fairly pleased with the outcome.......will see if I can fine turn it further to get a better finish.....my goal mainly was to use a faster drying, harder paint......will see how it all comes out....this was "red" implement paint from NAPA......nason was the name.....just a footnote....I was still using a good bit of paint.....but keep in mind alot of the paint was hitting the ground becuase of the shape of the piece I was painting.....will see how it works when I do the larger flatter pieces.

Attached Thumbnails

• photo1stpaint.JPG
  • photo1stpaint2.JPG
  • photo2ndpaint.JPG
  • photo2ndpaint2.JPG

#2 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted September 22, 2012 - 10:41 AM

Actually, I really like the finish you achieved on the first photo. Almost looks like a textured powder coat / hammer coat finish.
The more you use the gun and product, the more options you'll discover for future finishes.

Nice job. Posted Image
  • sacsr said thank you

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 22, 2012 - 10:56 AM

The more you play with the mix, the better you will get. I would say it's tricky with an airless sprayer. I know what we use for the barn roof really lays out the paint. You will get it dialed in I'm sure, but I'll stick with HVLP myself.
  • sacsr said thank you

#4 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 5,031 posts

Posted September 22, 2012 - 11:16 AM

I agree with the textured paint. I kind of like it too. For implements it would be great. Not sure I would want it on the hood or seat pan though. You'll get the hang of it and might get to where you can apply the appropriate texture for the job.
  • sacsr said thank you

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted September 22, 2012 - 11:28 AM

I'm sure with each job you do you'll find just the right combination ,but still doesn't look too bad for the first time :thumbs:

• sacsr said thank you

#6 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted September 22, 2012 - 12:18 PM

This is more for an air sprayer, but it might help.

I ran across a website several years ago about tuning a paint gun. dont remember the site now, but they had some good tips for a beginner.
Just some of the basics:
tune the gun on cardboard or scrap , adjust the air to get the smallest paint dots possible (better atomization)
try to get a hot dog shaped pattern, football or figure 8 shaped patterns will not give an even coat,
overlap 50% of the pattern, stay 6 to 8 inches from the part,
paint at a 90 degree angle and paint with your elbow and shoulder, not with your wrist

An inline filter/drier/regulator is a must for a good finish. A drier at the compressor will help, but condensation will develop in the hose. The longer the hose, the more water will get in your paint. I have a 3 in 1 with a belt clip and use a 6' whip to the gun.
Play with different air pressures to find out what works best with the paint you are using today.
Clean all of the gun parts when finished. I have just ran a half a pot of thinner thinking it would clean it out only to spend an hour cleaning it right the next time I wanted to use it. Paint will build up in the hardest parts to clean.

thinning some paints will give a less than a gloss finish. I painted an old Jeep with Van Sickle paint cut 50/50 and got a good smooth cover but it had more of a satin finish. After reading the can, I found out that they dont recommend more than 10% thinner.

Edited by rat88, September 22, 2012 - 12:24 PM.

• sacsr said thank you

#7 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted September 22, 2012 - 03:03 PM

Looks pretty good to me, especially your first time. Thanks for Sharing with us.
  • sacsr said thank you

#8 John@Reliable ONLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted September 22, 2012 - 04:24 PM

It does look pretty good, but the real test will be the flat stuff. I tried using one years ago
and it wasn't pretty, not to mention the amount of paint used, compared to a air sprayer, Good luck :thumbs:
  • sacsr said thank you

#9 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted September 23, 2012 - 09:01 AM

My goal trying this was to see if it would do a decent job....with the portability, faster drying time versus rattle cans, harder finish, and was hoping for lower paint cost versus rattle cans. Affordability versus convenience was the goal.

Drying time was fast, whether a harder finish- time will tell.
Where I am painting, it was much easier to use the extension cord versus dragging the compressor back there.
As far as reducing amount of paint used- I am thinking this set up uses a good bit of paint. I will see how much is used when painting the rest of the project.
I do have a compressor and hvlp gun so I plan on trying that as well at some point.

#10 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,761 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted September 26, 2012 - 09:19 AM

I know a guy that painted his truck with a Wagner Power painter. Actually turned out pretty good. A good wet sanding and you are golden