Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

jd 214 engine replacement? is there a direct fit diesel?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 custom8mm98 OFFLINE  

custom8mm98

• Member No: 30
  • 1 Thanks
  • 60 posts

Posted August 01, 2010 - 04:44 PM

does anyone know of a direct fit aftermarket engine that will fit in a late 70's jd 214? i would really like to find a direct fit possibly minimal fabrication needed diesel to drop in the darn thing. i havent even looked at the motor, i got the tractor for $100 with a bad engine, it has been at my dads shop for god knows how long and its shoot, customer didnt want to fix it so i got the tractor. its all in primer now waiting for wet sanding and TIME!!! like i said i would really like to find a diesel engine for it if possible.

thanks

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 01, 2010 - 08:38 PM

Definitely NOT a drop in diesel that will work. Any repowering with a diesel from OE gas will be rather involved. For one, the 215 engine sits sideways, so you would be limited to an air cooled single to fit it in sideways like the 214 is OE. Then fitting the pto to the diesel could be complicated.

#3 RFB OFFLINE  

RFB

• Member No: 1355
  • 2 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted October 10, 2010 - 11:04 AM

That would be great if you could.

#4 srtbrew OFFLINE  

srtbrew

• Member No: 1375
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted October 13, 2010 - 06:56 PM

If there was there would be one in my 212. Just imagine a stack blowing black smoke. mmm mmmmmm

#5 Mikeemc OFFLINE  

Mikeemc

• Member No: 106
  • 1 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted October 16, 2010 - 01:49 PM

I was lookin at putting a diesel in mt 317. It is to tall ( Yanmar ) by 1 inch. I'm not sure but Surpluscenter.com has one that is 10hp that may fit. The shaft is 1in and there is a smaller one than that. the mounting may take some work but you will have a nice machine when you get done. I would stick with the Kohler.

#6 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted February 12, 2011 - 02:58 PM

If you figure it out let me know. I love diesels and need to replace the engine in my 214 soonish.