#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted September 21, 2012 - 10:22 PM

My GT 14 when I got it didn't run. Tried it with fluid and just puffed out both valves. New head gasket, intake was stuck, not bad and had compression. Finally getting it back in tractor. Hooked up enough to run. Cranked and nothing. Start fluid got a few big backfires. Thinking, "Darn, the cams out of time"?? Then looked at points. Were way wide. Cleaned them and set. Cranked and started real nice. This is on start fluid. SO, set up the fuel lines and tank, put gas in and looked good. Started it and was running real well, no smoking and revved nice, THEN it just quit. Cranked and cranked and no go. Seeing gas below. I knew the oil was kinda high and was gonna change it. Oil out of the fuel pump and breather, all over. SO, decided to drain. Should have seen that run out!! Thinner than heck and all gas, just gas! Kept coming too, till I put plug back in. Guess was running striaght thru the pump and into case right out of my tank. Got the tank shut off and drained rest of oil/gas. I pulled the nose off tractor to work on easier. I have another pump to put on tommorrow after I get a gasket. Hope it is good one. Not sure why the engine just quit??? Too much case pressure when full? Nothing broke, still cranks. Hope it starts tommorrow with repairs made. Was glad it ran at least, even tho was short occassion. :deadhorse: :laughingteeth:

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,585 posts

Posted September 22, 2012 - 01:10 AM

Sorry to hear of the problem, but like you said, good to hear it run.

Hopefully the problem is a small one and no damage done with the 1wt oil. At least the insides are cleaner than they were...

#3 jusjeepn OFFLINE  

jusjeepn

• Member No: 2392
  • 84 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted September 22, 2012 - 10:48 PM

Sounds like it was "hydro locked". Normally this occurs in a liquid cooled engine. The headgasket or cyl wall leaks coolant into the cylinder and the piston cannot compress the liquid. That's why your seeing it in the exhaust and the air cleaner. Before trying to start again, remove the spark plug and see if the cylinder is still full. You may have to remove the head again. There is also a possibility the rings are shot now because they were not designed to push liquid. This doesn't mean it won't run but it may smoke. The crank case has been saturated with fuel so I would add a shot of your favorite oil additative (mine is STP) and run it several hours. This is a very common problem on Tecumseh engines but it's caused by the float bowl sticking and not letting the needle valve do it's job.

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted September 23, 2012 - 12:24 AM

Diff pump on, new gasket there, throttle and choke cables hooked up. Even ran plumbing for oil drain to side. Engine didn't wanna start at first on fluid, but then did some. I cleaned the points again thinking might have gotten oily. Hooked up gas tank and it took off again. BOY! Did It Smoke!! Smoked quite a bit and I was dissappointed. Kept running it, messed with carb adjustments and after awhile it quit smoking. Had running several times tonight and starts instantly and no smoke.

I put the belt on it today, it was fairly tight with no park pulley at all on it yet. I backed tractor up and forward a few times and was happy it seems to be working. That 1/2" plug like fitting IS the release. Had to tighten that back up to make it move. Need belt now and waiting for those bushings I ordered from Toro to put in the park release. $40 for three little bushings, sheesh! My belt with tractor was about 83.5 " and was tight. Was all chewed up, maybe just something PO was messing with? That cover and belt were laying on tractor when I got it. Got it prettty much wired, except tail lights. Hope to be putting right side tin on soon.

#5 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,653 posts

Posted September 23, 2012 - 06:53 AM

You've been busy!

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted September 27, 2012 - 09:19 PM

Got the bushings for the shafts today. 3 bushings for $44, yeeek! Anyway parts tree has them if you need any, use the WH part number 7879. Now I have the drive belt in, the park lever working and putting on the right side fender tins now. Will be putting on the belt cover soon. I won't have the electric pto on soon, it needs some work. Someone cut wires off very short and have to deal with that. Had power to it and does work. Looking like I won't be able to open it up fo fix??? Lights all working now, tails look neat against the yellow fenders. Going to WI to get tractors picked up, so won't be working on it till next week.

#7 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted September 27, 2012 - 10:00 PM

Glad to hear you got it running. I had the same problem with a FF18 I snagged a few months ago. The PO put in a carb kit and rebuilt the pump (?). I checked the oil before starting. Fired it up and it ran for a minute or so, then it started blowing oil out of the PCV on one side (twin) and died. Cranked some more then it locked up. Drained more the a gallon and a half of runny stuff out of it.Those things will fill the case pretty quick with a diaphragm leak. But like MH81 said "at least the insides are clean". It prbly flushed out some carbon and crap from the top end. Good thing it didnt run too long, that will eat bearings and rings real quick