Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted September 22, 2012 - 06:30 AM

Sounds like some good advice going around so far Brian. ..........

:ditto:

Thanks folks. I have learned a few things. ......

Me too!

Yes, I used to have a "cheese grater", but lost it somewhere along the line. They work great, but in a pinch, a wire brush helps a lot.

Have you looked in the kitchen Daniel? :laughingteeth:

Great thread thanks for starting it Brian and thanks for all the helpful tips.

Mods: do I smell a "sticky" for the forum?

#17 tractorman604 OFFLINE  

tractorman604
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 683
  • 269 Thanks
  • 694 posts

Posted September 22, 2012 - 08:39 AM

With all that great information i learned a ton too Brian. Thanks for doing this post,and now i think your well off to the races.....Good Luck!

#18 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted September 22, 2012 - 10:19 PM

When working on a large area that has been ground off to bare metal ( say the size of a dinner plate or larger ), I always prime the metal first with Rustoleum red oxide primer before I put the body fill on.

During the process of the body fill curing it creates a surprising amount of heat.
That heat can cause condensation to form between the bare metal and body fill on a large area and the metal can rust under the fill.
Having the red oxide primer under the fill seams to prevent the rust from starting.

With my experience of working with old cars, I have seen this when I have removed old body fill.

Edited by jdcrawler, September 22, 2012 - 10:23 PM.

• wilberj, caseguy, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#19 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted September 23, 2012 - 09:05 AM

When working on a large area that has been ground off to bare metal ( say the size of a dinner plate or larger ), I always prime the metal first with Rustoleum red oxide primer before I put the body fill on.

During the process of the body fill curing it creates a surprising amount of heat.
That heat can cause condensation to form between the bare metal and body fill on a large area and the metal can rust under the fill.
Having the red oxide primer under the fill seams to prevent the rust from starting.

With my experience of working with old cars, I have seen this when I have removed old body fill.

That's what I've always heard and read. Filler on top of the primer as filler can hold moisture. I was surprised to read all the comments on this thread about filler directly on the metal.
  • KennyP and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#20 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted September 23, 2012 - 11:13 AM

Thank you jdcrawler and canawler. I was always taught too, to prime the metal first, before applying filler. That was the reason for my question earlier. I have tried using filler on bare metal before, and it seems within two to three years later, the filler starts to raise from the metal, which is the moisture separation between the filler and bare metal.

Depending on the depth of pitting to be filled, I spray primer into an empty soup can, or spray can lid, and use a small round brush to dab paint into these pits, let cure, lightly sand, and just keep building up the pitting this way, until the paint filled pit is even with the standard surface. I find this to be the best way to adhere, and don't have to worry about separation years down the road. Yes it takes a little more time, but I haven't had any problems.

Edited by johndeereelfman, September 23, 2012 - 11:15 AM.

• KennyP said thank you