• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,716 Thanks
  • 871 posts

Posted September 21, 2012 - 01:29 PM

good day gentlemen, winter is almost upon us and time to think about our winter projects, i have a problem with a motor. to change or not to change that is the question, the motor is a kohler 18 hp twin,114 hrs, in a toro 269h, early this year i had a stroke , lost my sence of smell and put diesel into my lawn tractor, well i ran it around a bit and killed every bug within a 100 yards, after realizing my mistake i flushed the gas tank , changed lines and filter, cleaned out the carb, ended up replacing the fuel pump but it still smokes a bit especially under load, i now have blow by coming into the carb, should i change the motor ( i have a spare) or do you think this could be valve guide seals or something else? if its seals is it an easy fix? the motor has lots of power, i just dont like the smell,but i do have new coloured gas cans now. i know i know what a stupid mistake, just dont tell my wife ha ha ha!!! thanks one and all farmer john ps does any one have a blown hydro tranny,off a toro, tuff torq k61 -k65 i need the small axel and gear or large axel i will machine to fit thanks again

Edited by farmer john, September 21, 2012 - 01:33 PM.

#2 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted September 21, 2012 - 06:49 PM

...i just dont like the smell...

I am sorry to hear of your health problems. But, if you lost your smell, why does the smell bother you now? Lol!

I have no idea what you should do, and what happened to your engine. But, I would not hold putting diesel in a gas engine past some of these guys. LOL! Sorry guys... I am sure there is somebody here who will be able to tell you what to do.
  • farmer john said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 21, 2012 - 07:14 PM

I almost filled the car with diesel once but stopped just in time! It sounds like you did all the right things when you realized you had diesel in the tank. I don't think that would cause engine damage but I'm sure it didn't run very well on it. Perhaps others with more experience will know what happened. I would disassemble the crankcase breather and clean it and change the oil as well. It's possible some diesel got past the rings as I'm sure it was not burning very well. Other than that I don't know what else to tell you.

#4 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,561 Thanks
  • 3,941 posts

Posted September 21, 2012 - 07:21 PM

Sorry to hear about your health. Hope your recovery was smooth and the smells the only thing not back to normal. I went through that ordeal myself a few years back, not a good time. Lots of funny things can happen after an incident like that. I would think that getting the wrong fuel is very mild thing. For what to do next to the engine I am sure others will know better.

#5 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • 1,716 Thanks
  • 871 posts

Posted September 21, 2012 - 07:35 PM

thanks for your concern RYAN313, it was only for the first couple of months i lost my sence of smell, but now i seem to be overly sensitive to odours, and am only running on 7 cyclinders, sucks to get old, but better than the alternative. thanks for the tip on the crank case breather JDBrian it could be saturated with diesel, there was diesel in the oil and i forgot to mention it. i changed the oil and the filter, best wishes to all farmer john

#6 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,646 Thanks
  • 7,675 posts

Posted September 22, 2012 - 08:12 AM

the motor is a kohler 18 hp twin,114 hrs, in a toro 269h..... should i change the motor ( i have a spare).....

Is this a Model M or a KT? You probably know the issues with the KT Type I.

#7 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • 1,716 Thanks
  • 871 posts

Posted September 22, 2012 - 06:18 PM

thanks for the reply Lilysdad. no i dont know about the problems with the KT type 1, please tell me more thanks farmer john

#8 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,646 Thanks
  • 7,675 posts

Posted September 22, 2012 - 07:09 PM

They didn't have an oil pump and had a real tendency to starve for oil on an uneven surface. Lots of people who mowed a hillside would lunch their engine. Kohler came out with a modified version that had an oil pump labeled a Type II. If yours is a Type I, it isn't worth rebuilding. So many folks went looking for the Type II that it drove the price up and made them hard to find.