2 replies to this topic

#1 jj69chev OFFLINE  

jj69chev

Tractorholic

• Member No: 626
  • 24 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted September 20, 2012 - 05:15 PM

OK, So here's the problem.. on my '69 112 it only sparks when i release the key. once it starts it runs fine. I have replaced the ignition switch as that was one suggestion, but it did not help. Any ideas why i get no spark while cranking?

#2 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted September 20, 2012 - 06:13 PM

Did you wire the ignition switch as per the manual? The reason I ask is there may be an error in the manual. See Bob Decker's post on another website:

If you are using an OEM JD ignition switch, it should have three terminals on the back. With the ignition switch oriented so that the OFF position is pointing up (i.e., 12:00 position) and viewed from the back, the terminal designations are as follows: upper left terminal is start (ST), upper right terminal is ignition (IGN), lower center terminal is battery (BAT). The start (ST) terminal receives the wire (purple) that runs via the safety interconnect switches to the starter solenoid. The ignition (IGN) terminal has two wires: the first being the wire that runs to the coil (pink) and the second being the wire that runs to the generator light (orange/brown/black). The battery (BAT) terminal receives the wire (red) that runs to the �L� terminal of the voltage regulator. The wiring diagram found in the JD Service Manual incorrectly shows the coil wire (pink) going to the same terminal as the �L� terminal wire (red). To the best of my knowledge the remainder of the wiring diagram is correct.

112 RF wiring diagram.jpg
  • MH81 said thank you

#3 jj69chev OFFLINE  

jj69chev

Tractorholic

• Member No: 626
  • 24 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted September 20, 2012 - 06:17 PM

it is stock wired, but mine has 5 terminals not 3, i will have to recheck them to the manual tho.