OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted September 20, 2012 - 11:09 AM

I recently bought a Bolens HT20D with the hydraulic lift/angle blade on it, and plan to use it for moving snow this winter.

It has the Wisconsin/Ducati 2-cyl air-cooled engine in it and I'm looking for some advice for cold starting.

I'm in NE Ohio, near Cleveland, so it does get danged cold at times.

Any advice would be appreciated.

#2 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted September 20, 2012 - 11:38 AM

Keep it in a heated garage :)

#3 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted September 20, 2012 - 12:01 PM

Unfortunately, that ain't an option.

#4 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted September 20, 2012 - 01:01 PM

A shed and a block heater and a REALLY REALLY GOOD BATTERY! As I have the same issue with my diesel as well.

#5 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted September 20, 2012 - 01:50 PM

i have had some luck with a drop light under the tractor and an old blanket over the hood.

#6 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1724
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted September 20, 2012 - 04:34 PM

You did not indicate if the engine has glow plugs or an intake preheater. If it does not then perhaps there is a way that you can adapt glow plugs or an intake preheater to it. From what I have read the best method of getting a cold diesel started is to raise the temperature of the intake air (assuming that you are careful that the fuel is moisture free and not gelling on you). I have read that some people have sucessfully used a hair dryer to blow hot air into the air intake but I should think that you are seeking a more permenant solution.

Keeping the engine (or crankcase oil) warm will help make the engine easier to turn over which will help also. But unlike a gasoline engine where higher cranking speeds help starting I think that raising the intake temperatures will be the best bet.

BTW - from everything I have read you will never want to attempt to use starter fluid on your diesel engine.

JN

#7 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,743 posts

Posted September 20, 2012 - 04:35 PM

Leave it running and keep adding fuel!

#8 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,582 Thanks
  • 3,961 posts

Posted September 20, 2012 - 05:05 PM

I have used a halogen light to heat up things a time or two. Place it about a foot away and about half an hour it is warm to the touch. I haven't tried it on an engine yet but now I might try it this winter.

#9 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted September 21, 2012 - 01:22 AM

You did not indicate if the engine has glow plugs or an intake preheater. ...).

... I have read that some people have sucessfully used a hair dryer to blow hot air into the air intake but I should think that you are seeking a more permenant solution.

Keeping the engine (or crankcase oil) warm will help make the engine easier to turn over which will help also.

It's supposed to have a 'pre-heat' setup. Not quite sure how it's working. I'll have to trace the wiring. I know that it's not a glow plug, as that engine doesn't have them

I've given though to a hair drier/heat gun, and would like more input on this if anyone has used somethig like that.

I'd like a dipstick heater for the oil, but I doubt that I can find one as short as I will need.

#10 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted September 21, 2012 - 03:21 AM

I use a magnetic heater on my oil pan and cycle my glow plugs a few times. And if it is REALLY REALLY COLD I fire up my propane salamander and warm up the shed and everything in it for about half an hour . Then she fires up like its summer out. And the seat is nice and warm too :)

#11 Boss 448 ONLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1724
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted September 21, 2012 - 11:04 AM

A little more detail.

First, diesel fuel is subject to geling in cold weather - especially if there is moisture in it. You can help prevent this by using fresh fuel and keeping your tank and cans topped off to prevent condensation. A good additive such as those made by Service Power Diesel Additive will also help prevent fuel geling issues and also keeps your fuel injectors lubricated to conteract the lower lubricity associated with using low sulfur fuels.

Second, a good strong battery will help ensure that you have adequate cranking power in cold weather. If you use the tractor infrequently you may want to invest in an inexpesive trickle charger to keep the battery charge topped off.

Third, warming the crankcase will make the engine crank over much easier. The magnetic heaters that Skyrydr2 mentions are one of the easiest ways to heat the lower engine if you have room for it. I don't know how well dip stick heaters work for this type of application but perhaps someone with experience will weigh in.

The purpose of heating the intake air is to raise the temperature of the air compressed in the engine to combustion temps - not to atomize the fuel. So using a heat gun or hair dryer to blow hot air into the intake is simply to raise the air temperature entering the engine. Preheaters and glow plugs serve the same purpose. I'd check that preheater that you say is already on the engine and see if you can repair it to function properly. That may be all that you need. If not then you need to see what you can do to easily provide access into the air cleaner housing or intake and decide what you will use to blow hot air (your wife may not appreciate your stealing her blow dryer). In fact, if I stole my wife's blow dryer and took it to the barn to start my tractor I think I'd get all the hot air I would ever need without even plugging the blow dryer in!

JN

Edited by Boss 448, September 21, 2012 - 11:06 AM.

#12 powerstroker00 OFFLINE  

powerstroker00

• Member No: 8405
  • 669 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted September 21, 2012 - 08:18 PM

I also have a ht20d that i picked up last november. they have a heating element in a housing on the right side of the block. i don't have the plug-in for it so i'm not sure how good it works. i read somewhere someone plugged one in and went in the house for awhile and when they returned it had melted the wiring or something on the side, so i don't plan on finding a plug for mine. if it gets that cold i'm gonna leave mine in the barn and use something else!!! they do have a compression release that helps some.

#13 hammerdwn20 OFFLINE  

hammerdwn20

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2133
  • 98 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted September 22, 2012 - 03:47 PM

I also have a ht20d that i picked up last november. they have a heating element in a housing on the right side of the block. i don't have the plug-in for it so i'm not sure how good it works. i read somewhere someone plugged one in and went in the house for awhile and when they returned it had melted the wiring or something on the side, so i don't plan on finding a plug for mine. if it gets that cold i'm gonna leave mine in the barn and use something else!!! they do have a compression release that helps some.

Yeah that was mine that melted. Ive also used the hair dryer in the intake and i installed a thermostart on the intake and it did help but my engine is way low on compression so it was still a hard starter.
The manual states on the earlier intakes you could remove a plug for each cylinder and squirt a few drops of oil in there then run the engine over with the decomp lever on. flip the lever over and it should fire up. Neither of my engines had the older intake with these plugs though.
Whatever you do take it easy on the starter. I know its tempting to keep cranking the engine so you build up the cylinder temps but i would tarp it and use a heater. Magnetic oil pan heater wont stick to the aluminum "pan"
The thermostart is a cheap easy install and it threads right into the intake plug. I got mine off ebay for 15-20$.

#14 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted October 01, 2012 - 04:26 PM

This is where the toggle switch on the dash goes to. PO said that it's for cold starting.

100_4369_Arrows.jpg

I just put in a new battery. The one that came with it was rated at 658A @320/550A @00. The new one only says 700A Max cold crank.

The old one wasn't holding a charge so it needed replacing anyway.

I'm also thinking of buying a hair dryer or a heat gun to blowt hot air into the air cleaner. Which would be better?

Edited by OldBuzzard, October 01, 2012 - 04:28 PM.

#15 powerstroker00 ONLINE  

powerstroker00

• Member No: 8405
  • 669 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted October 01, 2012 - 05:06 PM

cant tell what those are. that is the housing where my heating element is located. that small square hole in the side is where mine plugs in at.