6 replies to this topic

#1 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted September 19, 2012 - 08:14 PM

Not sure if this belongs in "off topic" or here, but I rattle canned my wood stove today. I used Tremclad High Heat which is good to 650*. I know it will stink when I fire the stove.

My question is how long do I need to let it cure before I fire the stove? The can says "Tack free in 5 minutes" but doesn't say anything about drying time.

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 19, 2012 - 08:20 PM

I know the stuff dries fast and I would assume it will cure pretty quickly too. I'd give it a week if possible.
  • New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted September 19, 2012 - 08:32 PM

Once the propellant is out and the curing starts, I would think a couple of days max. Depends on the humidity, temperature, air movement, etc.

If you need the fire, then I would call them tomorrow AM and ask when It'll be ok to fire the stove, tonight... you're just gonna hafta wear the extra pair of Long Johns.

#4 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 20, 2012 - 08:12 AM

It can vary based on paint mfg and the chemical makeup. Your best bet is to check the manufacturing specs.
Some can be fired up as soon as the paint has dried and others need to cure some time.

I know if I was freezing my butt off, I sure woud not wait a week and find out later I could have fired it after 8 hrs.

#5 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted September 20, 2012 - 12:51 PM

Thanks for the input. We aren't cold enough for a fire, yet. Just doing preventative maintenance. I have time to wait a couple of day to a week, mostly because that's the next "open" block in my schedule.

#6 tractorman604 OFFLINE  

tractorman604
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 683
  • 269 Thanks
  • 694 posts

Posted September 20, 2012 - 02:17 PM

Once the propellant is out and the curing starts, I would think a couple of days max. Depends on the humidity, temperature, air movement, etc.

If you need the fire, then I would call them tomorrow AM and ask when It'll be ok to fire the stove, tonight... you're just gonna hafta wear the extra pair of Long Johns.

Throw the long johns off this is your chance to get close to the wife, if she's cold you could warm up for 2 or 3 minutes....... Then go out to the garage change the oil in one of the Gt's and everybody's happy.

#7 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted September 25, 2012 - 07:24 AM

Fired up the stove outside yesterday. Man, was that a good idea. Smoked like a wet wood camp fire for about an hour. Every time the temp rose a couple of degrees, it would start smoking again. Once it hit 625 on the stovepipe thermometer, I let it cool to 400 and then brought the temp back up. No smoke.

Lesson learned: If you are going to paint a wood stove, fire it up outside before bringing it back in. Looks nice though.