11 replies to this topic

#1 psfmcehall OFFLINE  

psfmcehall
  • Member No: 11619
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted September 19, 2012 - 01:55 PM

Good afternoon,
I am new to garden tractors and especially hydrostatic drives. I just bought a 317 a few weeks ago and it seems to run real good. The guy I bought it from said he had the engine rebuilt completly last year and replaced the PTO clutch. One question I have is that I have noticed that when I am done mowing I park it with the deck raised all the way up, then next day it is dropped back down. Is this common or is it leaking off pressure. It seems to drive good except for some play in the steering that I need to adjust. It mows great. Also, I need to adjust the brakes, how complicated is it to adjust. I sent this past weekend and cleaned it off by spraying it down with a degreasing agent so I could better see if there are any leaks. It cleaned up real good. The lights don't work, I need to get a couple of bulbs and redo the wires. Also the light switch is rusted so it won't turn or pull out whichever it is suppose to do. I'd appreaciate any advise.

thanks

Patrick

#2 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted September 19, 2012 - 02:16 PM

Welcome!

The sinking deck seems to be a problem on any hydro-lift tractor. I would not worry about it as my 120 is also that way.

A "correct" switch is still available from JD if you so desire or take the switch to any auto supply store and hunt down a replacement.
  • psfmcehall said thank you

#3 psfmcehall OFFLINE  

psfmcehall
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted September 19, 2012 - 02:29 PM

Ok, thanks. Another question I had. The front grill is bent up some, how do you remove it? It appears to have two rivets holding it in the top, is this all that there is?

#4 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted September 19, 2012 - 03:09 PM

Ummm... been a long time since I have messed with the 200/300 series tractors. I hope one of the other members can help.

#5 ggsteve OFFLINE  

ggsteve

• Member No: 4164
  • 142 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted September 19, 2012 - 03:20 PM

Ok, thanks. Another question I had. The front grill is bent up some, how do you remove it? It appears to have two rivets holding it in the top, is this all that there is?

The front grill should just pull right out the front as it will bend in slightly from the sides as you pull it forward. Be gentle, and for God sakes if you still have the emblem don't pull the grill off with that as documented in some JD literature! If it really is riveted then it's a backyard hack job.

Good luck with the 317, now where are the pictures?

Edited by ggsteve, September 19, 2012 - 03:25 PM.

#6 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted September 19, 2012 - 04:12 PM

the grill should just pull out . just grab it at the top by the bars and give it a good pull .

#7 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted September 19, 2012 - 06:59 PM

Welcome to GTT!

#8 fishman OFFLINE  

fishman

• Member No: 5368
  • 19 Thanks
  • 130 posts

Posted September 19, 2012 - 07:18 PM

Welcome to GTT. My 317 leaks down over night also I haven't been able to find anything leaking so I just don't worry about that. As far as the brakes as long as the pads are good adjustment is easy. Behind each rear wheel is a clevis. Pull the pin & screw the clevis in this will give you better brakes. My 317 had sat for a couple yrs in bottom of barn. So I had to take drums off & grind the rust out before they would work properly. And yes grill should not be riveted in place.

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 19, 2012 - 08:09 PM

I also just got a 317 a couple weeks ago. Mine is stripped down to the frame for a restore. The grills are an abomination IMO. They could have come up with something better. If you are having trouble with it, raise the hood and you should be able to lift up on the spring loaded tab that holds the top of the grill in place. This will make it easier to remove. My 317 grill is a mess. I have a 314 and I managed to straighten that one out to look decent so it is possible to repair them but go slow.

#10 psfmcehall OFFLINE  

psfmcehall
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted September 20, 2012 - 07:20 AM

Thanks for all the responses. I didn't get home until 10 last night and left for work at 6:30 this morning so I didn't get a chance to look at it. I'll check it out tonight. Thanks for the info on the sinking deck, I won't worry about it. I'll check out the brake adjustment to and see if I can figure that out. Any other info would be appreciated.
Once again Thanks.

#11 psfmcehall OFFLINE  

psfmcehall
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted September 21, 2012 - 01:29 PM

ok, last night i was able to get the grill off, it was bent in on the sides so it was just stuck. the rivets on top held the retaining clip to the under side.
I tryied to see how to adjust the brakes but I couldn't see anything that could be adjusted. does anyone have a picture of what the adjuster looks like. I did see some kind of a coil spring that looked as if it was screwed into the back half but that didn't look like an adjustment.
Another question, how much weight can one of these push or pull? for example, how big of a trailer could i pull behind one for moving firewood or mulch. and if i make a blade for the front how much can it move? thanks

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 23, 2012 - 04:50 PM

They are pretty strong tractors but you are limited in what you can pull by the weight of the tractor and traction. Some wheel weight and/or loaded tires would make a big difference. I would think that you could haul a 1000lb trailer with one without any trouble if you have the trailer balanced properly. That's a lot of mulch and a fair bit of firewood. I'd start off light and see how it feels. A lot depends on the terrain and the trailer. Too much weight on the back of the tractor and you won't be able to steer. For snow plowing the factory blade for that tractor is 54" wide. Chains and wheel weights are a real help. You can move some pretty serious snow with one provided you have traction.