• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 thirdroc17 OFFLINE  

thirdroc17

• Member No: 1805
  • 36 Thanks
  • 91 posts

Posted September 19, 2012 - 01:50 PM

Technically, she's not "finished" but she's ready enough to go. I don't build trailer queens, and I am NOT a body man, so ignore the runs in the paint, the various shades of paint from different sources over the course of more than a year, and ignore the ripples I didn't get out of a hood that was originally crushed. Ignore everything else that can be seen when standing within 100' as that is my standard. Look ok from 100' or farther away.

Posted Image

Someday I'll get around to making a cover the headlight hole.

Posted Image

Always wanted to make my own muffler, and now I have.

Posted Image

Originally a rubber mounted 10hp, Kohler, now a solid mount 16hp that's been well warmed over and should be making a solid 20hp.

Posted Image

Edited by thirdroc17, September 23, 2012 - 11:49 AM.

#2 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 925 Thanks
  • 1,216 posts

Posted September 19, 2012 - 04:16 PM

I think it looks very nice. Looks like it is ready for some snow.

#3 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted September 19, 2012 - 07:04 PM

As soon as I saw the engine I knew it was "High Performance". Nice looking Horse!
I bet the roller chain on the fronts really help the steering on packed snow/ice.

#4 thirdroc17 OFFLINE  

thirdroc17

• 36 Thanks
  • 91 posts

Posted September 20, 2012 - 09:02 AM

Thanks guys.

I've run a single chain on a front tire in the past as an experiment. It seemed to help. Fortunately, from another project, I had enough used, worn out chain to do both. Buying new roller chain for tire chains isn't in the budget, but patience will sometimes provide....

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 20, 2012 - 09:46 AM

That chain on the front tires does seem like it might grip on slippery going.

#6 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 20, 2012 - 04:42 PM

Wow Dale, she looks like a real beast! I can't see any of the flaws that you mentioned. I think the paint looks fine too andI love the look of the muffler!

#7 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,745 Thanks
  • 8,920 posts

Posted September 20, 2012 - 07:59 PM

Dale, do you have any info on building your own muffler? Is there an article here on it?

#8 jusjeepn OFFLINE  

jusjeepn

• Member No: 2392
  • 84 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted September 20, 2012 - 11:00 PM

I was wondering about that extended hood... I see why now!!! That looks like one heck of a tuff snow machine! THANKS!!! Now we won't get any snow! Get ahold of me on a headlight bucket and lens or an escutcheon plate. I still owe you my friend!

#9 thirdroc17 OFFLINE  

thirdroc17

• 36 Thanks
  • 91 posts

Posted September 21, 2012 - 09:02 AM

I chose pictures carefully, I could show some where you'd see the paint imperfections in grand detail!!!

I wanted a high flow muffler, but also wanted something quiet. I'm not sure how quiet it is as I've only ran it in the shop, and everything is noisy in there.

Posted Image

This pretty well explains the muffler. I drilled enough 1/4" in both the incoming pipe and out going pipe to exceed the area of the 1 1/2" ID of the pipes. Then just welded the incoming to the opposite side of a 4" exhaust pipe, and one end to a piece of 16 gauge sheet. Welded the sheet to the back so the pipe exited the front.

Posted Image

Drilled a hole in another piece of sheet, set it over the exit pipe and welded everything. Since I'm a crappy welder, it took several beads to get things half way air tight.

Posted Image

The exhaust gas comes in close to the front, divides through the 1/4" holes, travels to the back, divides though the 1/4" holes, and shoots straight out the front.

My original plan involved adding packing along the interior of the muffler, but kind of ran out of room. If I do another, I might try 5" pipe for the muffler body.