14 replies to this topic

#1 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 06:28 PM

Where do you get your nuts and bolts? I get mine from tractor supply. I can buy by the pound and is cheaper than anywhere else I can get them. I have several boxes of misc hardware I got from a job I used to work. We installed equipment. All shouldered bolts anything less than grade 8 were tossed so I kept them. I got several 100 pounds before I left.

Sent using Droid.

Attached Thumbnails

• uploadfromtaptalk1348010888321.jpg

#2 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 06:30 PM

I organize everything in these bins. The glass jars were my father's as he had them. Occasionally there are randoms I use from them.

Sent using Droid.

Attached Thumbnails

• uploadfromtaptalk1348010995692.jpg
  • uploadfromtaptalk1348011005207.jpg
  • uploadfromtaptalk1348011014940.jpg

#3 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 06:40 PM

Those bins are great for organizing. At Dad's, we use plastic bins I got at Tractor Supply. We also get all our nuts and bolts from Tractor Supply by the pound. You can't beat it.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 07:12 PM

I have been buying some whenever I get to our local Princess Auto as they have the lowest prices for retail.When I need something fast it's the local HD or other hardware chain store and the prices have really gone up lately! Recently I discovered an industrial distributer locally who sells all kinds of hardware for pretty good prices. Allen head bolts, grade 8 and metric, all kinds of stuff that is not commonly available retail.

#5 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,938 Thanks
  • 3,320 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 08:00 PM

I think we all save nuts and bolts, new and used. My current method is to seperate as best I can, washers in one coffee can, and pencil boxes. I keep a catch all container that when full, or better yet I have the time sort out and place the items in the proper containers. Here are a few pictures.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1060903.JPG
  • P1060904.JPG
  • P1060905.JPG
  • P1060906.JPG

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 08:18 PM

I have a bunch of new, used, misc stuff that I keep bringing home in my pocket. A lock washer on the ground is reason enough to bend over. Our steel dumpster will sometimes get hardware thrown in. Those days I'm a few minutes late getting home.

As for sorting, the 1/4 - 3/8 is organized, but the bigger stuff is pretty much jumbled. I have lots of "winter" sorting projects waiting for me as well. Goal is to get organized, reality will be just to stay ahead of the game.

#7 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 08:25 PM

Tractor Supply is my go to source for general purpose hardware too! For anything "unusual" I go to a local supplier that we use for work that also sells by the pound. I have some of those plastic bins that I picked up at Harbor Freight mounted on my wall and that's where I keep all of the new hardware. I have some canisters that I got from a past job that I keep all of the used or oddball stuff in, and like Larry, I have a catch all bin that I use until I have time to sort through and put stuff where it goes. That bin has long since overflowed onto the shelf surrounding it! I'd like to get some of the drawer type bins like you have, but I'd also like to have a place to put them LOL.

#8 wvbuzzmaster ONLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 19, 2012 - 01:35 AM

Dad and I used to each keep hardware in our shops, and we finally figured out it was everywhere, and we needed to organize because we kept buying hardware we needed because we couldnt find it. We finally put it all in one location and have so much 3/8" and 5/16" nuts, washers, and lockwashers we wont have to buy them for years, and all of them brand new. We have the catch all system also, but we have yet to get the sorting system down...

#9 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,745 Thanks
  • 1,395 posts

Posted September 19, 2012 - 10:03 PM

I use the 16 oz plastic cups.
I put the bolts in one, flat washers in one, lock washes in one, and the nuts one, then I stack them.
I have one set for 1/4, 5/16. 3/8, 7/16 and 1/2 bolts size.
if I a certain size I need I have the bolt, washers, and nuts all together
makes the job go faster

#10 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,608 posts

Posted September 20, 2012 - 05:55 AM

Have mine in plastic Go-Jo hand cleaner containers , painted the outsides white so they could be marker , " USS up to 1/2" under 3" ", " USS Over 1/2" under 3" " , " USS over 3" " , and " Fine " " Metric " Washer" not sorted in any sizes , works for me

#11 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted September 20, 2012 - 06:55 AM

I get most of my hardware at Princess Auto. It's close, cheap, and used to be easy before they got popular and expanded. I also tend to collect things off the ground from the places I go for work...washers, bolts, old bent nails that I don't want in my tires.

I have to give you guys kudos for your sorting though...I mostly have jumbles of old coffee and tobacco cans and a big steel box that gets everything else tossed in. Then there's the top of the dishwasher and the top of the washer and dryer. That's where Mrs. Rev puts the things she finds in my pockets.

I keep promising myself that I'll get organized one day, but not today.

#12 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted September 20, 2012 - 07:37 AM

I've got a basket that my love uses for my pockets to. I save used bolts nuts as well assuming they are in good shape. Lock nuts are only used once.

Sent using Droid.

#13 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 20, 2012 - 08:17 AM

I buy most of mine from either NAPA,Schurman's Industrial Supplies,or Fastenal.

#14 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted September 21, 2012 - 08:01 PM

So, how do those by the pound TSC washers, nutz 'n bolts stack up to other "imported" hardware store stuff? I guess you can't get USA made stuff over the counter anymore. And if you can, I probably can't afford it. I don't suppose it makes much difference anyway where hardware comes from these days.

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,343 Thanks
  • 39,622 posts

Posted September 22, 2012 - 03:12 AM

So, how do those by the pound TSC washers, nutz 'n bolts stack up to other "imported" hardware store stuff? I guess you can't get USA made stuff over the counter anymore. And if you can, I probably can't afford it. I don't suppose it makes much difference anyway where hardware comes from these days.

I have used them a lot.Can't say there is much difference other than cost. I just bought 2-1/2 lbs yesterday to use on the wagon boards. Would have needed a loan anywhere else to get that many.