• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 08:19 AM

Got a chop saw and I want to use it to cut up some 1/8 x 1" angle to make the sides for a battery tray. I have no experience with it so I am concerned about the saw grabbing the cutoff piece of angle. Whats the best way to cut it, vertical part to the back, front or laying upside down like an inverted V? Also do these saws tend to grab small pieces of cutoff and fling them back like a mitre saw will do with wood? Any other safety tips appreciated!

Thanks

#2 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 08:35 AM

This is a good topic for safety. A chop saw when used should be pushed as fast as it will cut without dragging the motor down. The material being cut needs to be clamped in the vise. If not it can turn and cause the wheel to break and explode. An angle should be set with the flat side down and the other flat against the rear of the vise. If turned other ways it can come loose and turn breaking the wheel. Pay attention where the sparks are going to avert fires. Be cautious with cut parts as the end can be razor sharp. Used correctly these can be great tools. Normally they do not grab the piece and send it flying. If the vise will not hold the material securely it is best to use a different method of cutting. When you buy cutting wheels there are different ones for different cutting uses. Buy the one that best suits your needs.

Kurtee
  • JDBrian said thank you

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,681 Thanks
  • 8,882 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 08:41 AM

In that situation, you could use a scrap chunk of 4x4 and cut the angle iron on the ground. Outside, preferably.

#4 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted September 18, 2012 - 09:07 AM

This is a page from my new Milwaukee Dry-cut saw. It holds true for an abrasive saw.

Attached Thumbnails

• SCAN0004.JPG

• caseguy, Alc, Bruce Dorsi and 3 others have said thanks

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 10:00 AM

There you Go!! "a picture is worth a thousand words"
  • JDBrian said thank you

#6 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,468 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 11:43 AM

I agree. I always cut angle iron with the open side down as shown in the diagram above. Any other way and your asking for trouble. I've been doing it this way since these saws became popular and have never had a piece come loose yet.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#7 willy ONLINE  

willy

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8423
  • 73 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 01:07 PM

Eye protection
  • Cvans said thank you

#8 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted September 18, 2012 - 03:39 PM

ditto on the fire hazard. I started a fire in a box of trash 15 feet away from where I was using an angle grinder (not a chop saw, but the same concept)

#9 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 03:48 PM

I just cut the metal the best way it lays out on the saw, without trying to remember if it's up side down, inside corner etc. :thumbs:
Mine has a adjustable angle fence that holds materiel very tight. 9 times out of 10 I even use gloves and eye protection.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#10 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,777 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 04:01 PM

post-6076-0-13658100-1340742376_thumb.jpg Be careful!
  • JDBrian said thank you

#11 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 04:58 PM

NEVER try to hold small pieces of steel with your hand... If you can get a piece of tin a foot tall and 2 feet wide to stop sparks its worth it..
  • JDBrian said thank you

#12 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted September 18, 2012 - 05:20 PM

NEVER try to hold small pieces of steel with your hand... If you can get a piece of tin a foot tall and 2 feet wide to stop sparks its worth it..

The nice thing about the carbide dry saw is that there is very few sparks, no razor edges and you can pick up the pieces instantly.
  • Team_Green said thank you

#13 Team_Green ONLINE  

Team_Green
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted September 19, 2012 - 01:23 AM

9 times out of 10 I even use gloves and eye protection.

Come on buddy.. step up to the 10 out of 10 times for eye protection.. Being blind cause of stupidity would really suck.. I would expect my wife to beat me if that happened to me.

#14 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted September 19, 2012 - 01:25 AM

The nice thing about the carbide dry saw is that there is very few sparks, no razor edges and you can pick up the pieces instantly.

I have a small band saw i bought at a farm sale for 76 bucks.. came with half dozen new blades also.. I gave away my cut off saw after having that. set it walk away do something come back when it's cut and turned off.. I just need to fab up a catch pan for it for the chips.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#15 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted September 19, 2012 - 06:33 AM

I just cut the metal the best way it lays out on the saw, without trying to remember if it's up side down, inside corner etc. :thumbs:
Mine has a adjustable angle fence that holds materiel very tight. 9 times out of 10 I even use gloves and eye protection.

Step it up on the eye protection man! I lost one eye to "medical mystery", had no chance at all. I can tell you it is no fun to be the one-eyed man. I won't chance losing an eye to a preventable accident.
  • JDBrian said thank you