#16 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 03:42 PM

I heard CA does NOT even allow blasting anymore. They have used abandoned spoiled property for bridge metal blasting and etc. for special work. The land is usually ruined by a past business and maybe a mine or chemical place. I think it is being regulated pretty hard and might want to check for local licencse as mentioned. I have a 48" cabinet in my garage, and it leaks some, and sand gets all over whith door and part moves, etc. Window and sand materials need constant changing. My local farmer who does my big stuff gets $50/hr but have to wait for him to get enough to do,and then nice weather, he does outside. He has big trailer compressor and blaster in a truck box. Have never seen him do it, not sure he has suit, but probly does. His drive spot is always full of used sand! Never uses it twice. He states sand is going up for a pallet too. Buys it by the pallet, big bucks!!
  • caseguy said thank you

#17 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,333 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 05:51 PM

The guys I use for blasting have a fresh air helmet and paint suit, but you still get sand in places you never knew you had (been there done that). Sand up here is about $135 a pallet (3300lb) if you buy 4 or more.Just one is $180 by itself. Its alot cheaper than 50# bags @ $11 a piece.
  • caseguy said thank you

#18 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 19, 2012 - 07:53 AM

The guys I use for blasting have a fresh air helmet and paint suit, but you still get sand in places you never knew you had (been there done that). Sand up here is about $135 a pallet (3300lb) if you buy 4 or more.Just one is $180 by itself. Its alot cheaper than 50# bags @ $11 a piece.

Yep being a blaster is like sunbathing naked on a beach(not a pretty picture) without the benifits of going to the beach.
Shop owners are unfrinedly when you open your wallet and dump a pile of sand on their counter.
The wife is not happy when everyday she has to scoop up the pile of sand in front of the shower.
You wind up talking to yourself a lot. Which is ok until you lose the arguements way too often.

#19 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted September 27, 2012 - 09:00 AM

Caseguy,

I charge members of tractor forums 30/ hr for sand blasting. Open silica on hoods/ sheetmetal, black beauty on rusty scaly stuff. For more delicate parts, I soda blast those.

For building owners/ city work , AKA graffiti removal up to 32 SF, I charge 175 bucks flat rate and only use black beauty. If they want it soda blasted, it's 250. Every story up adds 75 dollars, 4 story max.

Currently I am doing paint removal on one of those english telephone boots for a fella, tons of glass in it and really heavy / awkward to move around, so the price on soda blasting that piece is rather high due to the time involved . Seems worth every penny to him. :orangecool:
  • caseguy said thank you