caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 08:12 AM

Does anyone here charge for sandblasting? If so, what do you charge and how (i.e. by the hour, by the piece, by the square Ft.)?
How about if you've had someone do this for you. What did they charge?
I've had several people ask me about it and I have no idea what to charge.

#2 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,630 Thanks
  • 3,922 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 08:29 AM

I believe my blaster guy charges $60 per hour. Problem is [for him] he has very good equipment and it doesn't take him long to get over a project. A lot of the time his estimates are double of what the actual bill comes to.
I haven't complained yet.
:laughingteeth:
  • caseguy said thank you

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 08:38 AM

I would think by the hour would be the best way to go with a minimum charge that way if it only takes 15 minutes you can still at least make it worth your while.

I forget what the one local guy charges anymore. I had checked in to it a long time ago but never actually took anything to him to get blasted.
  • caseguy said thank you

#4 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 08:42 AM

Charge plenty because you have environmental issues to deal with here. The lead based paint on old stuff is one of these issues. In this part of the country they have been after sand blasting operations. Many have gone to inside blasting and reclamation systems.

KURTEE
  • caseguy said thank you

#5 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 09:01 AM

Charge plenty because you have environmental issues to deal with here. The lead based paint on old stuff is one of these issues. In this part of the country they have been after sand blasting operations. Many have gone to inside blasting and reclamation systems.

KURTEE

Kurtee is right.. you might want to look into the regulations around your area. Big fines for doing stuff like that wrong..
  • caseguy said thank you

#6 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 09:05 AM

I suppose you know what you are doing. I only went to one guy and he kind of messed up sheet metal.
  • caseguy said thank you

#7 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 09:43 AM

I suppose you know what you are doing. I only went to one guy and he kind of messed up sheet metal.

Oh yes, sheet metal will warp and distort with as sandblaster

#8 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 10:01 AM

A local steel tank manufacturing shop here charges $90 an hour but the work they can get done in an hour is amazing due to the equipment they have on hand.
  • caseguy said thank you

#9 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 10:19 AM

The last one I used was around $50 per hour and I paid $110 to get all the sheet metal and nose of the panzer done.
  • caseguy said thank you

#10 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 10:31 AM

Oh yes, sheet metal will warp and distort with as sandblaster

Thank you. I am aware of the warping risk (been there done that LOL). There are ways to control and eliminate that by grounding the work and also by watching your air pressure.
I did a little research and found that 3M makes a kit that instantly tests for lead in paint. It's called "Lead/Check" and according to their website, it's available at most hardware / home improvement stores.
Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

#11 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 10:33 AM

I also want to thank the rest of you for your speedy input! You guys ROCK! If there are more suggestions, responses, or comments, please keep them coming!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

#12 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 10:53 AM

I spent a couple years locked in a box about the size of a two car garage running a sand blaster at Farmhand inc.
Wearing leather Bibs and a fiberglass helmet with air fed to it waundering around in a dusty haze..
If your going to do much blasting you can't charge too much!
Like any business, the secret to sucess is planning and research. Find out what the competetion is charging and don't under cut them much at all. Don't forget insurance and investigate the envoirnmental issues and restrictions.The common silica sand(bags) used in blasting will each have a warning "This product is known to cause Silicosis" That is a lung disease somewhat simular to black lung. Regulation too often prohibits an individual from making a few bucks on the side!

One funny story I can relate was when Grover(the plant manager) decided the sand cost too much. A salesman convinced him that using garnet chips would save a lot of money since it could be used over and over(That was true) but the sheet metal had a surface texture of a Rasp or sandbur and had to be polished with a sander eating up any cost savings+..
I also learned form this experience, that being good at something is not always a good thing. There are some jobs you should screw up, so they never let you do it again. :bounce:

Edited by JD DANNELS, September 18, 2012 - 11:00 AM.

• caseguy and Amigatec have said thanks

#13 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,647 Thanks
  • 1,333 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 11:56 AM

I charge $50/hr for blasting smaller stuff (my blaster isn't the biggest (100lb cap.)) and the bigger things I hire out. Most times it costs me $125-150/hr. Example, semi truck frames are usaully $225-300, but I've paid as much as $700 in a pinch (use a couple of different guys) which hurts the pocket book alittle.

Use to use silica sand, but quit using it due to the cost and more importantly the health risks. Been using Black Beauty sand ( avalible at Menards) which is spent coal ground up. Also if you have a foundry close by their used up casting sand works great too (cheap and sometimes free).

You can reuse the sand afew times over just depends what your blasting. Rusty scalely things I tend to go with fresh sand just because it cuts faster, but leaves a coarser profile than the used stuff.
  • caseguy said thank you

#14 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 02:39 PM

Can anyone tell me if the glass beads that the highway paint strippers use is the same stuff as the blasting beads???

#15 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 03:04 PM

Can anyone tell me if the glass beads that the highway paint strippers use is the same stuff as the blasting beads???

A friend gave me some of the glass beads you mentioned, and I can see no difference between them and the glass beads sold as media for glass-beading.

I had a stamped-concrete sidewalk done many years ago. ...The mason applied a sealer with an expensive, "special" grit sold to him for making a non-slip finish. ....When he showed me what his expensive grit looked like, I walked into my garage and came back with a handful of glass beads for my blaster. .....Of course, they were the same, but he was shocked when I told him how little they cost me, compared to what his cost was from a masonry-supply house.
  • caseguy said thank you