• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted September 17, 2012 - 10:33 PM

I don't know about anyone else, but when I wanted a program to clean out my computer of unwanted stuff, I didn't want it installing junk stuff at the same time.

You can NO LONGER install free Ccleaner without adding Yahoo Toolbar. There is no uncheck box! I found this last night when I thought it may be a good addition to my wife's little used laptop.

Anyone have an equivielant program/cleaner that is a straight up install or gives the opportunity to uncheck add-on's that is as good as Ccleaner?

Just like I always say, the more something is "improved" the less useful it becomes in time! Too bad.

#2 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 03:36 AM

download from here and you should be good to go. No bloatware included.
http://www.piriform....wnload/standard
  • MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#3 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 05:59 AM

I hate those add-on things they throw in there. The toolbar can be removed after the fact, just an inconvenience that it loads automatically. I have enough stuff running on here as it is.

Also, on CCCleaner, if you click on the options, you can tell it which cookies to keep.

#4 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 09:56 AM

I have seen computers so loaded up with these toolbar's that they just barely run. Trouble is most people don't even realize they are installing them. The developers of cCleaner get paid each time the toolbar is installed so that is probably why they did it.

Another one to watch out for is these coupon sites toolbars.
  • MH81 said thank you

#5 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 10:40 PM

AdvanceSystem Care by IOBit
http://www.iobit.com/download.html

they also have other products that are free, but they try to get you to switch to the pro version.

they are good product from them. the pro version does more then the free version.

#6 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted September 19, 2012 - 04:46 AM

I have Advanced System Care Pro and CCCleaner. Try to run them a couple times a week. Cleans things up on this thing real well. And don't forget to defrag. ASC has the Smart Defrag 2 in with it. Works much better than Windows Defrag!

#7 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted September 19, 2012 - 09:49 AM

I get CCleaner from Priform, filehippo, and majorgeeks without the added stuff.

#8 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 01:31 PM

Maybe they had some kind of inkling what kind of Yahoo was downloading it HH!!! :bounce:

You can set CC to leave some of your items alone as it 'flushes' your system when you run it.. Yahoo toolbar can be easily removed in your control panel's Program menu.. :orangecool:

#9 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 03:47 PM

Maybe they had some kind of inkling what kind of Yahoo was downloading it HH!!! :bounce:
:orangecool:

Like my grandma said when grampa stepped on the side of bacon, "I'll just let that slide!" :laughingteeth:

You can set CC to leave some of your items alone as it 'flushes' your system when you run it.. Yahoo toolbar can be easily removed in your control panel's Program menu..

As for CC leaving items alone in MY computer, please review my plaintive frustrated wailing in this thread.http://gardentractor...ing-my-cookies/ It makes for a nice evening's read and the ending is truely suspensful (if a bit frustrating). CC's cookie/log-in saver could not be fixed by Piriform's finest.

Regarding the toolbar (whatever a "toolbar" is), the entire original point of the CCleaner program was to toss crap out not add more useless, unwanted and unnecessary crap to one's computer. Since they're making money off big corporations now they won't miss my measly donations in the future.

(yeah... I feel better now...) :D