Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Garden Tractors: A Love/hate Relationship

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted September 17, 2012 - 07:04 PM

I love my tractors, but sometimes I REALLY hate them. I took a couple or tractors to a small local show a week or so ago. It's actually an Atrts Festival but they have tractors. It's kind of what I'm reduced to these days. Anyway, I took the Wagner and the Speedex B that I just got done in the spring. I pushed the Speedex into place because it wasn't far and, heck, the thing pushes so easy it would have been more work to start it. Talked to a lot of people about it that day (I had other obligations for the second day so...) and I assured everybody that asked that, yes, it does indeed run and run well. Well we had one heck of a storm come through late morning but then it cleared up. I had my doubts about this thing starting after sitting out in that rain so I waited until most folks went home for the day. Sure enough, it didn't even act like it wanted to think about starting. So I pushed it back tot he trailer and about gave myself a heart attack trying to get it up the ramp. I got it, strapped it down, got the Wagner (it fired right up as usual), put it on the trailer, straps in place and I was off. I keep the trailer under roof so I backed it in, unhooked and forgot about it until today. I unloaded the trailer after work because I will need it later this week. Started the Wagner and drove it off and put it away. Then I came to the Speedex. Well I pushed it off the trailer and left it sit while I put the other stuff away. I came back to the tractor and though, "what the heck" and I wrapped the rope around the pulley and gave it a tug. Wouldn't you know, it started right up on the first pull! Like I said, most time I love these little guys but sometimes I REALLY hate them. They can stay though... at least for now.
  • mjodrey, MH81, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#2 AcreFarm OFFLINE  

AcreFarm

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 54
  • 109 Thanks
  • 359 posts

Posted September 17, 2012 - 07:14 PM

I completely understand. I'm a firm believer that every tractor knows when it is at a show, and will act the complete opposite of what you would want it to :mad2:
  • David Brown said thank you

#3 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted September 17, 2012 - 07:17 PM

I completely understand. I'm a firm believer that every tractor knows when it is at a show, and will act the complete opposite of what you would want it to :mad2:

Happens to me too! And I think it's some weird law of physics or something!

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,252 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted September 17, 2012 - 07:22 PM

Yep, possession can and does occur at shows. Our poor babes can be infected by all sorts of imps and gremlins.

Jeff, I feel for you... Know just how you feel. The week before our show, I had two with sudden no spark and at the show (after the rain) a different one fell victim. Still haven't looked at that one, kinda lost faith in it for a while. Maybe this winter.

#5 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted September 17, 2012 - 07:25 PM

That's why I always get my DB running before a show, it's cold blooded, but heck it's 60 years old, I guess it has a right to be. But after I get it started and warmed up, it will start on almost the first pull every time.

#6 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

JDGuy445
  • Member No: 10419
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted September 17, 2012 - 07:32 PM

Yep, I was selling a mower once. I ran great and all. Guy comes to look at it, won't even start! He was offering me a lot for it so I didn't turn him down. He then says he ain't interested and leaves. Got a couple more guys to come look at it. I got 4 guys come in, never starts. Finally, last guy comes, wasn't offering very much but I had to get it out. Finally starts and CYA! Never figured out why it didn't start. Buyer calls me after awhile of having it, works great for him and he says he's never had a better mower. Go figure.

#7 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted September 17, 2012 - 08:01 PM

That's why I always get my DB running before a show, it's cold blooded, but heck it's 60 years old, I guess it has a right to be. But after I get it started and warmed up, it will start on almost the first pull every time.

I don't usually have trouble getting this one to start. It went onto the trailer under its own power to go to the show. Just one of those things. I would suspect the rain if the thing had a magnito. This tractor is to the point where some dirt from the tank will still cause the fuel flow to stop so I expect that. Runs fine now so I guess we'll see at the next show.

#8 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted September 17, 2012 - 08:03 PM

Come to think of it, my Pond does this to me all the time. It never fails I have a dozen or so people around wanting to see me start it. The darn thing won't go until the last person leaves. GRRRR!

#9 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 06:02 AM

Yep, I was selling a mower once. I ran great and all. Guy comes to look at it, won't even start! He was offering me a lot for it so I didn't turn him down. He then says he ain't interested and leaves. Got a couple more guys to come look at it. I got 4 guys come in, never starts. Finally, last guy comes, wasn't offering very much but I had to get it out. Finally starts and CYA! Never figured out why it didn't start. Buyer calls me after awhile of having it, works great for him and he says he's never had a better mower. Go figure.

Perhaps your mower liked the last guy more than the others? I can't remember the name of the group that believes machines have spirits but on several occasions I have thought that too.

#10 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 08:34 AM

Sounde like it was telling you it didn't want to leave. Once it left the yard, it likely MADE SURE, that the new owner, would be its' last.
  • JDGuy445 said thank you

#11 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted September 18, 2012 - 08:42 AM

Happens to me too! And I think it's some weird law of physics or something!

"Murphy's law"
  • KC9KAS said thank you

#12 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,479 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 09:07 AM

I was selling a '72 John Deere 112 with electric lift, and had a customer all lined up. I told the guy, that I wanted to get the headlights working for him, and wanted to wash and wax the tractor before he made his decision. He stopped in one night on his way home from work to look at at, and to hear it run. Tractor ran like a top. He drove it up and down the alley way a few times, checking out all the gears, and decided he will buy it. We set up a pick up date for that next Saturday, and he paid me cash that night. Well, Saturday noon came, and I had the tractor out back ready for pick up. He showed up, I started the tractor, and gave him the honors of driving it up on his trailer. About half way up the ramps, the exhaust blew a large puff of smoke, and the motor died. After investigating, I come to find out the rod left loose. He said he would still be interested in the tractor if I can fix the motor, but he won't pay more than what we originally agreed upon. Needless to say, I couldn't sell the tractor for that, since now I'd have to do a rebuild, and wouldn't be able to get my money out of it.

What were the chances of the rod letting go right then and there? I eventually sold the tractor for more then what I originally wanted, but still less than what I should have gotten for it. To this day, I regret ever getting rid of that tractor, but I guess we all must live and learn.

#13 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,782 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 04:30 PM

I was selling a 1973 Honda CB 350 at a consignment sale. This M/C was flawless and never failed to start and run good. I was looking for somewhere around $500 for the bike.
I needed to sell it 'cause I had already purchased another one.
Come time to sell the Honda and they wanted to hear it run....Well, I cranked and cranked until the battery went down, then I kicked, and kicked it till I was exhausted.
Finally, I turned the little red OFF/ON/OFF switch ON, and it started right up....Duh...I never used the kill switch, and someone had turned it to OFF, and I got a lousy $273 for the bike!

#14 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 05:44 PM

Mine usually act up when Kathy wants to use one. Maybe they do have a spirit.........
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#15 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,736 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 06:38 PM

I got a Jeep Cherokee a few years back that ran like a top. We drove it up and down the road and all over the field. Finally I listed it and a couple came to look at it and the darn thing never started again. I have 4 other people look at it and none of us could get it started. Finally parted it out.