• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 10:48 PM

finally got some working clutch today on my sons tractor......so what else could we do but plow. Both tractors are 1963 Suburban 600's, 18 serial numbers aprt. I'm pulling an 8" plow with a 6hp and my sons has a transplanted 8hp, and was using one of the 6" plows. We had to put a new belt on mine, as my ilder pulley locked suddenly and cut the side off . The crab grass roots were pretty tough and it was all i could do to pull the big plow though. Anthonys tractor worked well, considering it was the first time he had plowed. Im saving the rest of the garden for walkbehind use. Hope to get to test out at least 3 of those tractors yet this fall.

009.JPG
019.JPG
020.JPG
012.JPG
003.JPG
006.JPG
013.JPG
  • MH81 and Nato77 have said thanks

#2 VSTROM803 OFFLINE  

VSTROM803
  • Member No: 10269
  • 369 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted September 17, 2012 - 04:45 AM

Nice job! The two tractors working together with father and son are really cool!

#3 Virginia Mike OFFLINE  

Virginia Mike
  • Member No: 10720
  • 16 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted September 17, 2012 - 05:40 AM

Happiness is a shiney plow. :thumbs:

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted September 17, 2012 - 05:46 AM

Looks like bothe do a very good job :thumbs: I've always want to know if using duel on a single gang plow GT works better then one without , it looks to keep the tractor level which maybe helps having the weight more or less the same side to side . When I plow sometime the left wheel will start to slip , Al

#5 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted September 17, 2012 - 05:50 AM

Looks like you had a fun time, Thanks for the pictures :thumbs:

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted September 17, 2012 - 06:44 AM

Now there is a couple of great looking rigs working (in some darn nice soil, I might add)

They seem to be doing a great job, you've got them dialed in pretty well.

Thanks for the pictures, the third arms you guys had to grow to run them doesn't even show in the pictures. ;)

#7 Wheel Horse Kid OFFLINE  

Wheel Horse Kid

Certified Wheel Horse Nut

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10019
  • 213 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted September 17, 2012 - 03:45 PM

Cool pics! Looks like you had a fun time with your son!

#8 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted September 17, 2012 - 07:07 PM

Looks like a fun time! I'm curious, why not chose to put the 8 inch plow on the 8 hp machine and keep the 6 inch on the 6hp? Was it because you felt the dual wheel set up would have better traction and you weren't worried about power?

#9 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 12:21 AM

. When I plow sometime the left wheel will start to slip , Al

Well the plowing is all about weight transfer, just slide your behind over to the left side. Most of us probally weigh enough that an extra wheel its needed. I ussally plow with both duals on, as the 8" plow gives me just the right amount of room in the furrow with out crowding the plowed part very much.

#10 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 12:42 AM

Looks like a fun time! I'm curious, why not chose to put the 8 inch plow on the 8 hp machine and keep the 6 inch on the 6hp? Was it because you felt the dual wheel set up would have better traction and you weren't worried about power?

Plowing isnt all about raw power, its about putting what you have to the ground. 100hp wont plow any better than 6hp if you get the tires to hook up. My tractor is set perfectly for the 8" plow, as i have twice the weights and duals than my sons tractor. His plow was not clean when we started, and his clutch had to be held engaged by hand(still working on that part), also due to his lack of seat plowing time, i gave him the easiest one to pull. He's had a bad time with his tractor as some of the clutch parts were home made, really good one and it took us a while to fiigure out why it didnt work at all. We had tested his tractor a few days before and it wasnt pretty, so he got depressed and gave up. I gathered up parts from several of the suburban sitting there and used the best ones to rebuild the drive system. He was a happy camper again after about 4 hrs to fitting , filing and assembly/disassemble. You have to own a suburban or DB tractor to understand how hard it is to get the clutch to lock over center and work right.

I might let him use the big plow on his own garden, but that ground is gumbo clay and you need all the power and traction you can get to pull though it. I plowed it last yr with a 6" plow on my sub and just about couldnt do it. Now that its been tilled up a yr, maybe it will start to come around. We been getting some fairly regular rains, so that will help also.

In a few weeks we will have a 2 wheeled plowing day, as im getting to gather all the walk-behinds and there plows, that i have in workable order.
  • HowardsMF155 said thank you

#11 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 02:32 AM

I see on the Yahoo DB group that a lot of people have problems with the DB clutches, but the one on my Super Power works just fine. I didn't have any problems getting it to work, at first I didn't have it tight enough, but after that it will either stall the engine, or spin the tires.