6 replies to this topic

#1 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3300
  • 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 06:14 PM

We its been a busy summer, but I finally got around to messing with the h14xl I picked up in the spring.

Anyway, need some advice on this one,

I think theres a valve issue, but I'm not sure.

I have gas spraying out of the carb about 2-3' , but I pulled the carb and put some air into the intank port, role the engine and the air is coming out of the spark plug hole, and the role it a bit more and it closes.

It almost like its out of time or the intake is not completely closing. I did get it running once, but the there was like a constant little backfire out of the exhaust. I set the valve gaps, still no luck.

Does anyone have an engine manual for the tecumseh hh140? I checked the manual section and theres one for the hh120, which is close, but not one that specifically lists the hh140.

I'm thinking I need to pull the head, check the guides. It needs o-rings in the head anyways,

Any advice would be appeciated,

#2 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 07:39 PM

We its been a busy summer, but I finally got around to messing with the h14xl I picked up in the spring.

Anyway, need some advice on this one,

I think theres a valve issue, but I'm not sure.

I have gas spraying out of the carb about 2-3' , but I pulled the carb and put some air into the intank port, role the engine and the air is coming out of the spark plug hole, and the role it a bit more and it closes.

It almost like its out of time or the intake is not completely closing. I did get it running once, but the there was like a constant little backfire out of the exhaust. I set the valve gaps, still no luck.

Does anyone have an engine manual for the tecumseh hh140? I checked the manual section and theres one for the hh120, which is close, but not one that specifically lists the hh140.

I'm thinking I need to pull the head, check the guides. It needs o-rings in the head anyways,

Any advice would be appeciated,

valve seat fell out common on the problem on these engines also here is the manual
http://gardentractor...-engine-manual/

Edited by 8tyman8, September 16, 2012 - 07:51 PM.

• MailmAn said thank you

#3 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted October 03, 2012 - 10:39 PM

So i got the head pulled off this hh140 , ended up making a spring compression tool from my daughters old training wheels,

I guess any tool can be the right tool for the job, lol

its not the valve seats, but the exhaust valve guide is moving, come loose from the head,

Anyone have any ideas how to lock it back in place? Not sure where to get or how much new valve guides would cost.

Anyone done a repower of these ?

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 06:26 AM

The guide will most likely have to be replaced.
They are pretty cheap

#5 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 06:18 AM

I've been searching around the internet, can't find any sites that list these guides for that engine.

any suggestions? local small engine place says i'm outta luck on that one.

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 06:44 AM

Do you have a part number for them?

#7 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 11:18 PM

So I've been rather busy at work and the home life, work starting to settle and I got the 318 connected to the blower I never thought I would have ever found at that price.

Anyway I got to wondering about the H14xl in the corner of my shop. The valve guide is out of the head, I figure I'm into the tractor for $150.

I'm wondering if I should try and tap the head, pin the guide in place with a bolt acting like a set screw OR try and convert the tractor to electric. Its something I've always been interested in, The idea of an eletric is exciting. With the blower and grass deck on the 318 , I have no need for this tractor.

I'm thinking I would only like it for pushing a blade and pulling a wagon around the flower beds, so its a prime candidate.

I believe only need to spin the drive shaft to the hydro at a constant speed, no variable speed control, as the hydro foot pedal, hydro lift and manual brakes would all still work.

Looking for the member with the MF12 eletric, have a couple questions.

Thoughts?

Edited by Jehtro, December 08, 2012 - 11:18 PM.