Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Mtd 990 - What A Royal Pain In The Backside!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SammyRye OFFLINE  

SammyRye

• Member No: 1558
  • 41 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 05:19 PM

Been working on the 990 - again - trying to get it running - again.

Pulled the engine shroud - yep, mouse nest - gettin' to be an annual thing.

New plug, checked all electronics (oh, yeah - new ignition switch), charged the battery - no start.

Ah, ha - not any gas into the carb. Pulled the carb and attempted to get the nozzle screwed out. No luck - had to use an E-Z-Out to get it. Man, was this carb crudded up (wouldn't have anything to do with ethanohol, right?) Clean the card, new nozzle, new float, new gaskets, put it all together.

Opened the gas valve, opened the throttle, pulled out the choke, and hit the key. And, hit the key! And, hit the key! Nothing! Time for a little break to think things over.

Is that gas I smell? Yep, carb is getting gas now - now the float's stuck open and gas is leaking out the top. Aaargh!

Time to pull the carb off the '73 and see if I can get this thing to start. If so, might be time for a new carb.

Seems as though it's one thing after another! My wife said, "Didn't you buy this to work on?" Yep, just not all the time! I'd actually like to use it once in awhile.

Sorry for the rant, but I needed to vent a bit. Anymore frustration, and you might just find this one on CL.

Rich

#2 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,777 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 06:38 PM

I feel you pain buddy! Step back take a deep breath think about what you have checked and fixed and have another stab at it. If that doesn't work, grab a beer to calm your nerves!

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,682 Thanks
  • 8,882 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 07:07 PM

And, in case things go badly, how close to the border are you and what price range do you have in mind? :laughingteeth:

Hope it straightens out for ya soon. :itsok:

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 07:07 PM

These carbs on these engines are prone to this. Sometimes it's a needle valve/float issue, other times it's a bad seated main jet tube. On my tractors with Flo-Jet carbs, I always install an inline fuel shutoff valve to prevent the flooding over while not running.

#5 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 10:32 PM

We all feel it. If it were easy, the forum wouldn't be about keeping these vintage relics running.

Luckily, when a flo-jet carb overflows, it doesn't flow through the motor and into the oil.

I wasn't going to offer advice - I figure you just wanted to share, but someone pointed out that the premium fuel in Canada doesn't have ethanol. Something to look into.

What you need is another GT to work on when this one starts getting under your skin.

#6 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,316 Thanks
  • 2,412 posts

Posted September 17, 2012 - 10:15 PM

We all feel it. If it were easy, the forum wouldn't be about keeping these vintage relics running.

What you need is another GT to work on when this one starts getting under your skin.

Good advice!

been there, done that.....

#7 SammyRye OFFLINE  

SammyRye

• Member No: 1558
  • 41 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted September 29, 2012 - 09:56 PM

Thanks to all for lending an hear and a shoulder to sniffle on!

I did break down and bought a new carb off eBay. Price was right - $99.95 & $7.95 shipping. When I opened the box, I realized this is a newly manufactured part, but not NOS - made in Taiwan. Had to change a few things around, re-tap some of the threads, but overall, is a good replacement.

Now, to chase down the spark problem. Two weeks ago, I had spark - now I don't. Take the front all off and check everything again. BTW - We have no ethanol in our premium gas here, so that's what I'll run.

Cat385B - Only about and hour and a half from the border, but not ready to sell yet.

I'll let y'all know how I make out on the spark thingie. BTW - did I mention I'm working on a special "build" using the '73 990? More to come on that as I progress - you're not gonna believe what it's gonna turn out to be.

Later,
Rich