19 replies to this topic

#16 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted September 17, 2012 - 08:17 AM

Yeah, what he said.
I think with the amount of modification and chop/cut you're going to be doing... then why not do it on a tractor that you won't mind cutting a chunk off here or there... or welding something on. You can count that it's going to take some changes to the tractor to make it a ll work well.
  • MH81 said thank you

#17 dave8338 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted September 17, 2012 - 09:47 AM

Scrap Massey for the WIN !

Just "looks" like a loader tractor. That, and they are tough from what I hear...
  • MH81 said thank you

#18 glgrumpy ONLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,499 Thanks
  • 6,370 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 04:25 PM

I vote Power King too! BUT, I've had one on an old 24" (in Avatar) that was a bear to handle. Needed extra arms. One to shift, one to steer, one to run the loader levers and extra neck and eyes to watch both ways! Power steering would have been nice, can't turn much till moving with a load. Smaller bucket with teeth is better for dirt. Mine was snow and matirial bucket and didn't work well with dirt work. Two company's offer plans and have pix on sites on diff brands of tractors. PF is one and Cadplans has a couple versions. The old SEars are tough tractors and good metal for frame, but not so sure on driveline and clutch for loader use. Would think the 6000 too light. Why not buy a Case 400 or 600 series? Older Bolens had foot controls which would be way nice to have. Older Kubotas seem well built. And of course IH Cub Cadets are tough frames too. Case forums show how to use bearings in the spindle swivels to get "poor mans's power steering" which might be applicable to other models. No power, just better bearings to make easier. PF shows an axle update for front on their site. Honest Opinion......buy a big tractor if serious about any heavy work, the GT's just don't make it,cept for some landscaping light/loose hauling!

P.S. I had a snow blade made for my PK, just like orig one but never got to use it before I sold it. That was gonna be a nice add-on I belive. It mounted out on the loader arms and cylinder turned it.

#19 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 10:51 PM

Alan, that Scrap Massey would be the perfect tractor for your loader. Another thing to remember is even though you are restoring it, it will never be all original, therefore you could modify things If needed. Just image the tires you could mount on that Massey easily, not to mention it will be able to handle dual wheels no problem. Also, as Daniel said the front axle is pretty stout, and I could sell you a complete JD front axle assembly to modify under the front of the Massey and no one would ever know it is there lol. Also, the hydro control on it would not be difficult to alter to a foot, already rotates on a shaft by your right foot, in the correct directions. And the engine is also oriented in such a way you could mount a hydraulic pump between engine and grill. (pump surrounded by grill). Another thing with the Massey is your loader upright braces could easily tie back into the front bumper. I really think that the Scrap Massey is a no brainer. One other thing to think about, that should seal the deal for you, is the Massey will look more correct with a loader, such as it's larger counterparts. :D
  • MH81 said thank you

#20 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,378 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted September 19, 2012 - 07:14 PM

Yep, gotta lean towards the "Scrap Massey"
It just fits the bill.

Looking forward to a build thread, on whatever you decide.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fel, choice of tractor