#1 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 10:03 AM

I would like to introduce myself to all of you. My name is “Allison” I am a 1942 Allis Chalmers WC Styled Gas model. My serial # is WC 122926. I was born on June 10th 1942 at the West Allis ,Wisconsin, Allis Chalmers plant. As I left the plant I was very wobbly because I was running on my rear steel wheels, with rubber tires on the front of me. I sat on the line for a week and then when they put the decals on me and they got me started I was breathing and feeling very good. After they set me out side I felt very good and was warm under the afternoon sun. Another man took me to a place where I was given some rear wheels with rubber tires on them. I heard the man say that the dealer would return those because I was ordered with steel rear wheels. Next before it got dark outside I was put in a group of my brothers and sisters to be put on a train car. Just after dark I was loaded on the train car and some men put chains on me to hold me down. It was a very long ride to where I was to get off the train car. After they took me off the train car I was picked up by two men who had a truck and me and a brother were put on the truck and chained down again. The one man said he liked coming to Bay City. On this ride I could see that I was in an area where there was a lot of flat land and once in a while I could see other tractors running in the fields. We got to a town and one of the men said it was good to be back home in Caro, MI. We pulled up to a big garage just before dark and we were left on the truck during the night in the garage.
The next morning we were taken off the truck and a couple of boys took us and washed us. That felt good, and then we had to go into another garage where we were “Serviced”? I wasn’t sure what that was supposed to mean but we soon found out that it was a good thing. We got some new oil in us and some more gasoline. They checked to see if my water was okay. Then I got my steel wheels back on and I was taken out side and driven around in the grass. After, I was parked in front of a big building with lots of glass. My dealer said my new owner was coming in a couple of days to pick me up. A lot of people came and looked at me and said I looked good in Orange. It was then that I found out that I was different from my brother and other tractors there. A salesman took a crooked thing from my fender and stuck it in the front of me. As he turned it my motor was running and I was proud. This was not new to me but I noticed that my brother had a thing the called an electric starter. The salesman said that some people order tractors with electric starters and some with cranks. That is when I knew I was different.
It was a long time before someone came to get me and they said I was theirs. There was a man, woman, a little boy and a little girl. The woman said that she hoped that they weren’t making a mistake for buying me. The man said it would be okay. The boy and girl got on me and bounced in my seat. I was happy and ready to go to my new home. I was loaded on the truck again and the man and little boy rode in the ruck with me on the way home. I saw more fields some green and some with black dirt and I was very excited to think that maybe one of my brothers or sisters had help make that ground like it was. It was a long ride to my new home and I remember the man telling the truck driver we were going to Clio, MI. As we pulled up to a house on a dirt road the truck driver backed me up to the barn and I was taken off the truck. The man and truck driver talked about my having my steel wheels on and how bumpy a ride it would be for him. He said it would be ok because he wasn’t going to drive me on the tarvy road. They looked me over one more time and talked about a few things and the truck driver left. The man and his wife looked at me and said they would get me going in the morning.
The next morning I started my day early even before there was sun to help us see. My owner used my lights to go to a field and hook me to a plow with two steel wheels and two plows on it. From that time forward I was working almost every day pulling something or helping do something. I felt good doing what I was built for. For many years I was doing this. My owner had said he was buying some more property down the road and he was going to have to make a change in me. He said he was going to have to buy a cultivator and new plow. He said that my steel wheels were going to have to go and he wanted to put rubber tires on me like my brother had. One day he took me on a ride to a little town called Deford and he had a man there put rubber tires on what he called rims after he had him cut my steel wheels off and had him weld the rims to my hubs. When my owner came and got me he put my steel wheels in his truck with his family and we headed back home to work again. It sure was a smoother ride and it could go faster and show him how I could be run on a hard top road. Again I was worked almost every day and now it was time for my owner’s son to drive me. He had been with us a lot of the time sitting on my fender next to his dad. He drove me just fine. I was glad to help him make it a good first drive because I like the boy giving me baths and giving me oil and helping keeping me going. I worked for another long time and then I noticed I was being left in the barn more and more. One day they took me out and I saw a new bigger Orange tractor sitting in the garage I used to sit in overnight. I heard my owner say that he needed a bigger tractor that would pull bigger plows and implements. I guessed from looking at the big orange tractor that it was a cousin of mine and he was here to help me. I worked with him for a few more years and then one day a new man came to the barn with my owner. He was an older man and he said I looked pretty good for a 30yr old tractor. He said he would take me. The boy asked him to take good care of me because I was the tractor he learned to drive on. He said he would and they shook hands. I rode to town where there were a lot of fields and more tractors. When we got there he put me in a garage and told me he wasn’t going to work me to hard and he cleaned me up and put new oil and water in me.
I stayed with my new owner who his wife called Wilbur. Now I wasn’t used a lot for farming because Wilbur had retired from farming full time and was just growing a little crop of corn and they had a big garden. I was used to plow the one field in the spring and fall and used to drag the garden and pull a small steel wheel plow. Wilbur had taken my steel wheels with him. One day he was talking to his friend and I heard them talking about the steel wheels and how his friend wanted them to put by the end of his drive way at his house in Deckerville. Wilbur gave them to him and told him to enjoy them. Next Wilbur made a frame on my front and put a plow on it. He hooked it to my implement lift. He said he wanted to use it to plow the drive way. I plowed his driveway and garden for quite a while. One cold morning after I was sitting out all night Wilbur came out to start me to plow the drive. He got me started and it was cold. I was stiff and didn’t feel well so it took a bit to get me going. He said he would be back out in a few minutes after he got some coffee. Well, all of a sudden I shuddered and my motor stopped with a thud. I was scared and just sat there. Wilbur came out and tried to start me again but the crank wouldn’t turn. He was upset and said that he should have put me inside last night. The next day after putting me in the garage he tried to start me again and my motor wouldn’t budge. He brought a friend by who he said was a mechanic and they looked me all over. His friend said that my crank bearings had seized and that it was going to be very expensive to get me running. Wilbur said he couldn’t pay that much to fix me. They left and I was left to worry about what was going to happen.
I was put out behind the garage and Wilbur made sure I had antifreeze so my motor wouldn’t brake. He said he was sorry and put a cover on me. I sat there for a long while until one day Wilbur and a young man came out to look at me. The young man who Wilbur called Ken looked at me. Ken said he would like to have me but didn’t have a lot of money to spend on a tractor that didn’t run. Wilbur said he would take something in trade if he wanted. They covered me back up and I sat there for a short time. On a bright warm day Wilbur and Ken came back and Ken and his friend took me to his house. He took me to a mechanic in a town called Kingston where the mechanic said it would cost quite a bit to fix me. I was hoping that I was going to get to run again. The mechanic said ken would be better off to scrap me for the money. Ken said no he would take me home and try to find a motor to replace mine with. He set me in the field next to his barn and covered me. I sat there for a short time when some people stopped by. There was a man and a woman and a small boy. They came out and looked at me and the little boy climbed on me and bounced in my seat. The woman was looking at me and said she wanted me. She said I looked pretty good for a 53 yr. old tractor. I heard Ken tell them that maybe prices for parts wouldn’t be very much and that they could get me running again. The man said that he hoped that his new job would give them some extra money to fix me up. Ken said ok and they all walked away. I was ready to go when the man and little boy came to get me. They put me on a trailer and chained me down and after spending the night on the trailer we were leaving in the morning. Now I had heard ken call the woman Diane and the boy Bobby and the man Roger. I think ken and Roger were brothers because they talked about their Brother Bob also.
It was a long drive home for me on that trailer. Ken had given them a John Deere # 1 field mower also. On the way home we were going up a long hill and the truck pulling my trailer wasn’t running very good. After we got up the hill we stopped and Roger and Bobby looked at the truck and said it was going to have to get us home. We drove to my new home and it was a slow long ride. I heard them talk about the truck and I think they said the engine was going bad. When we got into a town we stopped to get some gas for the truck and I heard Roger tell Bobby home again, home again in Lewiston. Once we got to the house the woman Diane met us there and said I looked good on the trailer. She took some pictures of me and then I was taken off the trailer and put in the garage. I heard them talk about the truck needing fixed before they could fix me. I sat in the garage for a very long time before they started to work on me.
One day Roger and Diane along with Bobby came out and said they were going to start working on me. Off came my hood and radiator and next was the oil pan. After looking at it Roger said it was going to be very expensive to fix me. Diane said maybe we could get some parts and help at a tractor show. They all agreed that it was going to be a family project and it was time to give me a name. A name? I thought I had a name, Tractor. Bobby asked what kind I was and Diane told him I was an Allis Chalmers WC. Bobby was sitting on my seat and he was pretending he was driving me. After his mom told him what I was he said ...”Her name is Allison”… Diane and Roger said as good a name as any. From that time on I was Allison.
Through the years I was worked on a bit and then left to sit. For a few years I had to sit outside with a heavy tarp on me. Now it is almost 20 yrs. To the month and I am again back in the garage to get worked on. I am getting a used motor form a newer cousin a WD Allis Chalmers. Roger and Diane have retired now and Bobby has graduated from High School and is looking for a job. Bob (He’s growing up you know) has his own WC tractor, a younger cousin of mine, and he has her running pretty good. Roger and Diane are looking forward to hearing me run again soon. A couple of years ago Roger and Bob got some steel rear wheels just like I had when I was new. They put them on me and I have been wearing them since then.
As things proceed I will come back and tell you more about me and my family and how it is going on getting me running again. Until then thanks for reading about me.

I know this is mainly for GTs but we also like Farm Tractors. Allis Chalmers WC , WD, Mainly. I wrote a story about my 1942 WC and thought I wouls post it here. I was able to get some information over about 20 yrs ago at a local tractor show about manufacture dates and plants from a older gentelman farmer. Sad to say he is gone now along with his knowledge of Allis Chalmers UC, WC, WD, WD45, Etc.. Hope it is ok to post here.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF9193.JPG

• ducky, MH81, wawcub47 and 3 others have said thanks

#2 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 10:14 AM

Excellent story! Thanks for casting it into such a unique perspective.
  • hamman said thank you

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,414 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 10:19 AM

That is a very good story about your tractor. Glad it has a good home. Good luck with getting it running again.
  • hamman said thank you

#4 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 10:24 AM

Thanks for the time to tell your story.. It would be nice to know the story of each tractor that we all own...
  • hamman said thank you

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 10:41 AM

Thank you for taking the time to write that and for sharing with us! Fantastic story.
I've always wondered what our tractors would say if they could talk, nice to hear one tell it's story.
  • hamman said thank you

#6 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 10:44 AM

That's a great story hamman. Thank for writing it up for us.
  • hamman said thank you

#7 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 12:14 PM

Very nice story. I can't wait to hear more.
  • hamman said thank you

#8 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 03:56 PM

Great story! Thanks for writing it up, it was a great read!
  • hamman said thank you

#9 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 05:28 PM

Very nicely written story hamman! You must have done a lot of research to gather all that information on when and where Allison has been. That's a great perspective and thank you putting it down for us to read!
  • hamman said thank you

#10 Wheel Horse Kid OFFLINE  

Wheel Horse Kid

Certified Wheel Horse Nut

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10019
  • 213 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 06:28 PM

Cool Story! I also, have always had a heart for Allis Chalmers tractors!
  • hamman said thank you

#11 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,704 Thanks
  • 8,894 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 06:40 PM

Nice write-up, Roger! I enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to the story of its' restoration.
  • hamman said thank you

#12 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 07:34 PM

When we got her we were both working low paying jobs and as it does life some times makes you put aside you hobby to get on with life. There were times that she was literaly 10' away from the trailer heading to scrap. Each time we just couldn't bring ourselves to do it, even though the money from the scrap would of helped greatly. I spent about a week straight calling and talking to people about her. The elderly gentleman we spoke to at the Wallon - Flywheelers Tractor Show probably wished he had never said he had time for us to ask questions. I have lost his name and address but have since learned he has passed away. He had books and papers fron Allis Chalmers and he was the one who gave me agreat deal of information. It has truly been a labor of love to get her this far. We are looking forward to having her running very soon. I am torn between doing a full restoration or leaving her in her "work clothes". I really like to see the old girls and guys as they are instead of all painted and polished. Don't get me wrong, those shinny tractors are great to see but it's just not for me. We have decided that we will truly let her decide as to her final dress. We want her running and moving well before we decide.
I will tell you this that when we pulled her old motor and was getting ready to put the new motor in we cleaned the frame rails. On the left side rail just forward of the trans-bell housing mount we found embossed in the rail- " ILLINOIS STEEL - USA" . We were very excited to find this. Made us feel good that she was one of those who were made in the Good Old USA. Thanks

#13 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 07:35 PM

Really enjoyed your story. Spent many hours on a WC and your story brings back a lot of memories. Mine also had a WD engine in it which I was not aware of when I purchased it. Made for a pretty snappy tractor.
  • hamman said thank you

#14 bigcountry48 OFFLINE  

bigcountry48
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10316
  • 101 Thanks
  • 207 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 08:49 PM

HMMMMM... This sounds familiar, you wouldn't happen to be a member on the unofficial Allis Chalmers Forum would you!?! Very neat story, even better the second time. I also like the positive spin on everything!! :thumbs:
  • hamman said thank you

#15 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 09:34 PM

Yes I am. Thanks.