Bolens 1053 Won't Start

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 MailmAn OFFLINE  

• Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 01:16 PM

Hmmm... that does seem kinda odd. For one, I didn't think it actually took much to kick these engines over, so I wouldn't have thought having a smaller starter pulley would crank the engine over so slowly that it couldn't start. Plus, from the pictures there, it looks like the smaller pulley you took off is about the same size as the pulley on my Bolens 850 and mine starts right up no problems. I woudn't think that it needs a 3" pulley just in order to turn the engine over. :confuse:

My only thought on this is if you have that much compression when you're turning the engine over by hand, it may be making it hard to start. Like Bolens 1000 said before, these Wisconsin engines are built with a compression release on the camshaft to make them easier to turn over with a starter or a rope. Once the rev's get up there, the release allows the exhaust valve to fully close so it gets full compression and runs proper. If that release isn't working for whatever reason (gummed up or just inoperative for some reason) that could be making it harder to start. Of course, there is a decent chance that all of what I just said is a bunch of garbage too and completely wrong...

Edited by MailmAn, October 02, 2012 - 01:18 PM.

• GTTinkerer said thank you

#17 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,152 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted October 03, 2012 - 05:01 AM

It is very odd but it made enough difference to finally get it off the workbench back on the ground and today on the trailer and back to it's owner.

Finally got all the parts to the Club Cadet 169 so it goes on the bench today.

#18 Guest_rat88_*

• Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted October 03, 2012 - 07:03 AM

I had my LGT100 act up on me a few years ago, crank fine and almost start on a hot battery but would run the battery down real quick. Needs a battery, right? changed that. Still cranks slow and drags the battery down too quick. bad starter , right? changed that. Still only fires on a hot battery. Weak coil right? changed that. New p and c? changed that.

The problem ended up being the belt had slipped off at the TX and was rubbing on the frame. I discovered this after trying to push it in the shop to pull the engine to find out why it wouldnt start.

Edited by rat88, October 03, 2012 - 09:06 AM.

#19 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,048 Thanks
  • 2,090 posts

Posted October 03, 2012 - 08:55 AM

This morning I removed the starter belt and wrapped a rope around the pulley and gave her a yank and it fired up and after adjusting the carb ran fine. Looked at the starter/generator and saw that the pulley was only about 2" in diameter so I pulled a three inch pulley off another starter/generator, swapped them out and presto she fired up. Called the owner and it turns out he switched starter/generators when the initial problems started awhile back. My only issue is why the engine and starter/generator are all the same color though but perhaps he only changed the pulley..

I am not questioning your mechanical abilities, so please don't take my comments that way!

All of the Wisconsin S-7D, S-8D, TR-10D, TRA-10D, TRA-12D engines used on the Bolens Tube-Frame models used the same starter pulley (Bolens part # 1708293). .....This was the small-diameter pulley.

The B&S engines on the tube-frames used starter pulley (Bolens part) # 1713855, which I believe may have been the larger diameter.

The S-12D & S14-D Wisconsin engines on Large Frame (models 1250, 1455, 1476) used a starter pulley having Bolens part #1719146.

Changing the pulley to a larger diameter obviously got the engine to start, but I'm wondering if that didn't mask the real problem of an under-performing or failing starter, which is not cranking the engine fast enough.

I speculate that the size of the starter pulley is based on the diameter of the pulley mounted to the flywheel. .....By changing to a larger pulley on the starter/generator, charging output may suffer, while cranking rpm's will increase.
  • MailmAn said thank you