Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

My New Tractor - An Old Dream Came True.

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Per OFFLINE  

Per
  • Member No: 11470
  • 144 Thanks
  • 121 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 06:31 AM

Hi!
My name is Per and I live on an island called Langeland in Denmark. Since I was a boy I have always wanted to own a garden tractor. Now this dream has come true. A couple of days ago I bought my very first garden tractor. Here are some pictures.

Gilson 01.JPG Gilson 02.JPG Gilson 03.JPG Gilson 04.JPG Gilson 05.JPG Gilson 06.JPG Gilson 07.JPG Gilson 08.JPG

As you can see it is a Gilson. But does this tractor have a model number?

The engine is a Briggs & Stratton 18 hp with opposed cylinders. I have some trouble to determine the model number. The number on the engine looks different than the numbers I can find on the homepage of B&S. I would like to find a service manual and a parts manual for this engine. Can some of you help me with the right engine number or perhaps a link where I can download these manuals?
Here is a picture of the numbers on the engine.
Engine.JPG

I want to build a front end loader for my tractor. Do any of you know where to download some drawings for a front end loader?

Please excuse my bad English writing.

Regards
Per.
  • daytime dave and jd.rasentrac have said thanks

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 06:37 AM

Welcome to GTTalk Per. Congratulations on the very nice tractor! I'm not sure on the B and S info as I have not dealt with their engines much. I'm sure someone else will be along to help out with your questions. Your English is very good !
  • Per said thank you

#3 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 06:51 AM

I thought I would be the 1st to welcome you, but I will be the 2nd....Welcome to GTT!
I'm sure someone will be here soon to answer your questions, and that is a nice looking GT!
  • Per said thank you

#4 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,442 Thanks
  • 3,989 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 07:05 AM

Hi Per and :welcometogttalk: nice to see some other guys from good old Europe :smiley-flag008: :bounce: Here you'll find informations to your engine http://www.briggsand.../change-region/ I showed you the region side, so you can find the side in the language you speak - because it's not in dansk.

For the front loader I have a diy-book as pdf. I'll look for it and send it to you - or upload it to the manual section (maybe someone here will tell me what's about the copyright terms. I don't want to be :spanka: )

Edited by jd.rasentrac, September 16, 2012 - 07:11 AM.

• caseguy and Per have said thanks

#5 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8128
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 07:07 AM

Welcome to GTtalk Per! Nice tractor!

I can't help with the model number of the Gilson, but I may be able to help with the engine information.

I believe your engine is Model 401417, Type 0128-01 and Code 78091212. It was built on September 12, 1978.

Service manual:

http://gardentractor...-repair-manual/

Parts List:

http://www.m-and-d.c...ms6930-1279.pdf

Edited by achomesteader, September 16, 2012 - 07:08 AM.

• caseguy, KennyP and Per have said thanks

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,669 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 07:19 AM

Welcome to the forum, Per! Nice looking Gilson! I see Greg has you fixed up with the engine manuals.
  • Per said thank you

#7 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 07:26 AM

Welcome to the site, NICE TRACTOR! Should have some good potential there.
  • Per said thank you

#8 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 07:26 AM

:welcometogttalk: Glad to have you posting here. That Gilson looks like a serious garden tractor! Do you have any attachments with it? Or is that your new goal now, to find tools to make it work for a living?
  • Per said thank you

#9 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 07:36 AM

:wave: Per! Welcome to GTTalk! That's a great looking tractor! Did you do the restoration on it, or did you buy it in that condition? Either way it's a beautiful machine and looks very well put together! It should serve you well! I'm happy to see that you're getting the help that you need and we hope that you like the site and come back often!
  • Per said thank you

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 08:09 AM

:welcometogttalk: Per. Thank you for joining.
That is a sweet looking GT you have there. Someone took good care of her, thanks for the pictures.

As for the FEL, you might try looking on page 2 of our manuals section entitled "blueprints" found here: http://gardentractor...y__all__st__10.

Also, you might want to keep in mind some sort of upgrade of your front end (spindles for one) to accommodate the additional weight of the loader.

Good luck on your build & please keep us updated.
  • Per said thank you

#11 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 08:49 AM

Welcome Per. That's a great looking Gilson. It looks brand new. Someone did a great job with it.

I'm glad you joined. Thanks for those great photographs.
  • Per said thank you

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,669 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 08:59 AM

Per, I checked our Member Map and we have one person from Denmark on it. If you care to, you can add yourself on it, Doesn't have to be an exact location.
Looking forward to more posts from you! We enjoy pics a lot, plus learning about life in your country is very interesting!

#13 Wheel Horse Kid OFFLINE  

Wheel Horse Kid

Certified Wheel Horse Nut

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10019
  • 213 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 09:09 AM

Welcome to GT Tractor Talk! That is one clean looking Gilson!!! Great Find!!
  • Per said thank you

#14 Per OFFLINE  

Per
  • Member No: 11470
  • 144 Thanks
  • 121 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 09:33 AM

Thank you all for the very warm welcome to GTtalk. I already feel that I am in good hand here. :dancingbanana:

For the front loader I have a diy-book as pdf. I'll look for it and send it to you - or upload it to the manual section (maybe someone here will tell me what's about the copyright terms. I don't want to be :spanka: )

I would be very glad if you could send it to my mail address Strandhauge(at)privat.dk :beerchug:

I believe your engine is Model 401417, Type 0128-01 and Code 78091212. It was built on September 12, 1978.

Thank you very much. That was exactly what I was looking for and thank you for the link to the manuals. How did you figure
out that it was the Model 401417? The number on the engine does not say so. I owe you a :beerchug:

Do you have any attachments with it? Or is that your new goal now, to find tools to make it work for a living?

No, I have no attachments yet. As I mentoined I will build a FEL for the tractor. I will also look for a snowblower.

Did you do the restoration on it, or did you buy it in that condition?

I bought the tractor as you see it on the pictures. The only thing I had to do so far were som adjustment to the carburetor, because the engine was running to lean on full throttle.

As for the FEL, you might try looking on page 2 of our manuals section entitled "blueprints" found here: ...

Also, you might want to keep in mind some sort of upgrade of your front end (spindles for one) to accommodate the additional weight of the loader.

Thank you for the link. Yes, I am aware that I may have to make the front spindles stronger. As they are now they look a little to small and weak.

Regards
Per.

#15 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 09:35 AM

:welcometogttalk: Per! Congrats on your first GT, and thats alot nicer than my first. :thumbs:

Matt
  • Per said thank you