lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 10:35 PM

the mower is a friend from work and he got it from his grandfather. He know nothing about garden tractors. he know the I have several and asked if I would work on it. I work on it this winter fixing and welding the deck back together and rebuilt the deck and replaced the bearings.
Replaced the motor mounts and cleaned and checked it all over. I mowed and little with it and it burnt oil.
I told him that it should be rebuilt, be he said not at this time.

I told me that he had to sell the JD 210 because they are remodeling their garage and his wife it had to go.
His yard is to small for a rider.
So I told him that I would rebuild the motor and sell it on craigslist and split what I get for it.

I sold a John Deere 210 today.
they came to buy it and they said that they are moving to the country and they did not said the size of yard they had to mow. they saw my ad on craigslist.

I showed them the JD 210 and they this is their first garden tractor. so I showed they how every thing on it and work it works and how to remove the deck and replace it and adjust the deck. I gave a CD with manuals for the John Deere and Kohler. I stated in my ad that I would deliver up to 50 mile for free and a dollar for each mile after that. so they came in a mini-van so I delivered it - only 23 miles and found it is on my way to work.

Got there and they had 5 acres! I said to myself I hope they are not planning on mowing this with the JD 210.
But they said that they are planing on getting a larger tractor next year. man was I happy. I know it would mow the yard okay but I thought that is a lot for the JD 210 with a 39 inch deck. He saw a 47 inch deck in garage and asked what a larger decks sell for. I told he it depen on the deck. I told he I rebuilding a old 47 inch deck and I would take around $75 and the 39 inch deck in exchange. he said that that would be great and it would save him some time mowing.

so I am at home power thatching my back yard and the wife comes out with the phone saying the people you sold the JD 210 are having problems. I told them I will be there in a bit. I got some tools and headed out.

They said that they were mowing for a while and stopped for a few minutes and starting mowing again and after a while it stopped running. I looked around to see how much they had mowed and it looked like about 3 acres.
so I checked to see if it was getting gas and it was, so I pulled the plug wire and turned it over and no spark.
so we talked fro a while and told them that it could be the condenser or coil and I have some at home and I will be back to fix or replace them. I am going the check out my spare coil and condenser before I going back to fix it for them. If my spares are good - great, if not I will take one off one of mine.

They could not believe I came back to help them. I told them that I want to make thing right and that I will help in any way. I like helping others when I can.

They asked how much would it cost for the snow blower or front blade. I told them for a blade $50 to $150 and up. and a snow blower $150 to $400 and a helper spring would help a lot and some place around $100 for the spring. and for a tiller around $350 complete with mule drive.
I told them that I would come back and use my plow this fall if they mark out the area and would not charge them much. I told them I did not use my tiller to break up a yard it is to hard on it. they said they will let me know when.

I told them about this site and they said that they will check it out.

in closing for now I do want to thank all you for helping me and I hope this site is around for a very long time.
there are a lot of GREAT people that share the knowledge and time

thank you for read this and best wishes to all

here are some pic of the JD 210
HPIM7900.JPG

HPIM7902.JPG

HPIM7899.JPG

HPIM7904.JPG
  • MH81, wvbuzzmaster and LilysDad have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,313 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 10:48 PM

Good for you. You sold the tractor, sounds like you made some friends too.

Nice to hear when a person goes out of their way to help someone else. Thank you for being a decent human being and a good representative of Garden Tractor Collectors everywhere.
  • lyall said thank you

#3 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 06:38 AM

Good for you. You sold the tractor, sounds like you made some friends too.

Nice to hear when a person goes out of their way to help someone else. Thank you for being a decent human being and a good representative of Garden Tractor Collectors everywhere.

Alan covered that pretty good. Kudos to you for helping above and beyond!

I sold a used motor home to a guy in 2006, he was a visibly handicapped older (than me) gentleman. Sold as is, he had to travel about 70 miles to come get it. We settled up and away he went. My cell rang an 1/2 hour or so later, motor died, wont start, about 6 miles from home. So I rounded up a few things and went to see. One of the two batteries failed so we switched the cabin for cab battery. Then would crank but no start, talking to him found they had thrown the switch for the second fuel tank, which I had not used in years. Ended up underneath pumping the water-gas out of the fuel lines with the electric fuel pump, about a gallons worth til it flowed clean, removed about one 16 ounce pop bottle at a time and dumped in a gas can, then reconnected and got him going AGAIN. He called after about three hours, said they were home, no more troubles, the MH ran great after it got rid of the crap in the carb, thanked me profusely for coming to his aid.
Sometimes you just got to!!!
  • MH81 and lyall have said thanks

#4 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 10:32 AM

Being Nice will always pay off in the end.
  • lyall said thank you

#5 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 12:00 PM

That's a great story. It is always better to be nice. The investment seems to pay off in the end. I hope your new friends join the site.
  • lyall said thank you

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 03:58 PM

Your a good man Lyall! While we have not yet met in person, being only about 30 miles apart I'm sure one day we will.
  • lyall said thank you

#7 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,666 Thanks
  • 7,684 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 05:03 PM

They could not believe I came back to help them. I told them that I want to make thing right and that I will help in any way. I like helping others when I can.

Remember Lyall, what goes around comes around. Keep it up and you'll be set for life.
  • lyall said thank you

#8 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 09:45 PM

today I went down to fix the JD210
I got there and first checked the coil with my ohm meter - it checked okay
so then I replaced the condenser - and guess what
It fired right up and ran just like I remembered.
we talked for a while and I left.

so tonight guess what, they called again says that the idler pulley on the transaxle is bad.
I told he that I should have several spares and I would check them out. He said that he will pay for it.
so I went out to the garage and found them and checked them out. I have several that are good.
so I got on my grease gun with the needle point and made a little hole and grease the idler pulley.
I use a little gasket sealer the cover the little hole for the needle point.
I have been greasing them that way for years. saves me a lot of money, instead of buying new pulleys all the time.
I grease them when ever I think they need a shot of grease.

so tomorrow on my way home from work I will stop and replace. oh better yet I think I will make him replace the idler pulley
and tell him how. he got to start sometime!

my wife heard us talking on the phone and said how long are you going to help him. I just told her that he is paying for the part and as lot as he pays for parts I will help him. she said okay. I have more part than I will ever use. so it helps him and me. we both win.

I will keep all posted how it goes tomorrow
and thanks to all for your thanks and replies.
  • LilysDad said thank you

#9 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,511 Thanks
  • 5,029 posts

Posted September 17, 2012 - 08:16 AM

Your one of the few. I'll bet you will be rewarded someday for your good works. :thumbs:
  • lyall said thank you

#10 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted September 17, 2012 - 11:04 AM

Sounds like you got a good customer along with the sale. Some people just have no desire to fix their own stuff. ANd then again some people are too dumb.

I sold a beautiful 97 Buick LeSabre to a guy a couple of years ago. The guy was dumber than a wet sack of hammers. He tried to put the key in the hazard light button then looked at me like I was stupid when I told him where the key went. The day after he bought it he called me and told me it wouldn't start and he was on the side of the road in Hickory on 321. I had just done a lot of work to the car and knew there was nothing wrong with it.I asked if the battery terminals were tight and he said yes. I told him I would be up to look at it. He wasn't on the side of the road. HE was home at his apartment complex off of 321 15 miles past Hickory. I got there and was a bit upset to have been lied to about where he was. Opened the hood and grabbed the negative terminal and it was way loose. I tightened it and it started immediately. I asked him what he had checked - he pointed at the high side pressure fitting for the AC. At that point I wanted to hit him with the ratchet. I pointed out -rather calmly- where the battery was and that the wires attached to it had to be tight and then left. About 5 minutes later he nearly sideswiped my truck as she ran a red light and turned into Walmart going about 50 in a 35.

I sold another car to a guy that was obviously wrecked. It was a 97 Ford Crown VIc Police interceptor red with a smashed front passengers side fender and a gold passengers side door. A year later he called me and told me the front wheel came off and I didn't tell him it was wrecked. I told him he was a certified idiot if he didn't know and was too stupid to own a car. For all I knew he had been out jumping ditches with it for a year. Then he asked if I was going to give him his money back. I told him if I ever saw him again I would kick him squarely in the crotch. HE never called back.

Some people can be helped and some people are just leeched on society.
  • Gtractor and lyall have said thanks

#11 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted September 17, 2012 - 10:09 PM

hi all
on with the story.
will today I stopped with the idler pulley and he came running out of the house glad to see me.
we went into the garage and he had the front on jack stands, the back was on his floor jack, the idler pulley on the floor ( the bearing were gone from the idler pulley, the bolt was removed the the bracket for the idler pulley, and the pulley for the transaxle was off too.
I thought to myself, he is not afraid to get dirty, great.
I told him we have a choice - remove the mower deck which it will be more work and longer and harder to fix, or remove the fender deck which is easier and faster the make this repair. I told him he needs to know how to remove the fender deck any way.
so we removed the fender deck so that we could work from the top easier. we remove the idler pulley spring, he put on the idler pulley after I told him how I put grease in the bearings. the drive belt was off too, so told him how to get it back on. Great so far.
he put the pulley back on the transaxle - he put in all three bolts but the belt was not on the pulley. I thought he only had two bolt back in and I told he to remove one bolt and that way he could put the belt on the pulley. will the belt would not go on so I tried it myself and found out that he had put all three bolts in. Well dump me. so I remove the second bolt and showed he how to put the belt on with one bolt on the pulley. had him put the other two bolts back in and tighten the bolts. show how to put the spring back on.
then he put the fender deck back on and bolted the deck back on all but one bolt. so we have to do the old find me (I am not lost, I am hiding) for several minutes. he put the wheel back on and he was having a problem as we all do. I told him put a screw drive in one hole to line it up and put a bolt. works like a charm. now that it is all back together and the jack out and jack stand out too. he fired it up and drove it around.

talk about a kid in a candy store with money to burn, smiling ear to ear.

he asked me what he owed me. I told him that a new one from a dealer is around $32 plus tax and that I checked on e-bay and they are going from around $6 to $20 than shipping. then I told him that $10 would work. I explained to he if you buy from e-bay and you pay $20 and $10 shipping you should go to the dealer and buy a new, try to check the prices from the dealer for parts ( which you can do on line) and remember the parts are used when you get them from e-bay ( not all but most of them) and that it can take a week to get the part. when you get a part from the dealer, you have it now. if the dealer does not have the part and orders it for you, you should have in two to three days.

he is getting to know his new JD 210 and he said that he is going to look the cd I gave him for how to fix things, I told him again about this site and there are other out there that will help in any way on the forums.

will I know I will hear from him again, and I will enjoy talking and helping him.

we all gain knowledge it different ways, that making us who we are

again I do want to thank you all for helping me

Glen
  • KennyP, sacsr, Michiganmobileman and 2 others have said thanks

#12 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted September 17, 2012 - 11:03 PM

In todays crazy world, it is refreshing to know there are good honest people out there. Lyall, God bless you!
  • lyall said thank you

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,475 Thanks
  • 39,715 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 03:53 AM

Sounds like he is willing to learn, Glen. Glad you can help him along the way.
  • lyall said thank you

#14 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,666 Thanks
  • 7,684 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 07:02 AM

I hope he joins us, he sounds like a good person. Maybe he knows something we need to learn.
  • lyall said thank you

#15 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 05:32 PM

Way to go Glen!
If i may alter a famous quote:
Fix a mans tractor and he will mow for a while. Teach a man to fix his tractor and he will mow forever.
Sorry just had to do that.
  • lyall said thank you