Posted March 02, 2013 - 08:48 AM

I would like to try that some day, out here no one pulls on asphalt

#47 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • Member No: 11834
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 07:07 PM

ok so I was talking to the owner of the pulling org I will be pulling with and he told me that I don't stand a chance in hell of doing very well with my z482 kubota engine against the "stock" 14hp kohlers I will be pulling against. I am stuck to the rules of a stock unaltered engine running no more than 4000 rpm.

I plan on at least putting a "different" pair of injectors in it to help it out a little. but I kinda have my hands tied with everything else.

What do you guys think? am I wasting my time? am I gonna get spanked all year long?

I am really second guessing my decision to jump into this without being able to spend the big money on a big 3cyl turbo'd motor to pull by myself since there isnt any other tractors that pull in what is the actual diesel class.

#48 baerpath OFFLINE  

baerpath
  • Member No: 10928
  • 314 Thanks
  • 514 posts

Posted March 10, 2013 - 12:16 AM

How's he know that ? Your putting out between 10.9 to 13.3hp @ 3600 rpm by the specs If you play with it you may do better. Gearing is what will make the differance and because your on blacktop tire width will help also. 

So I'd keep going, you can kill a 14hp gasser with torque.  Our diesel is only 200hp but runs against 300hp gassers weekly and does okay in the super mod 400hp class. It will never win that class but it doesn't get killed totaly 

#49 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted March 10, 2013 - 08:04 PM

I would continue atleast. You have all this time and money invested in it now but it doesnt hurt to try it out to see how it does against the 14hps. It dont matter if you get whipped or not its all about how much fun you have with it and youll generate alot of interest with people. If your not happy with it by the end of the season you can always sell it as it i know there would be some people interested in it you could double your money on what all you have in it for all the time it took to put together. Best of luck!

#50 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 03:44 AM

I'd hate to say it , but you are going to get whooped a few times. It takes runs to get it right, and you need to get your engine to 4000 rpm! Then you will level the field a bit.

#51 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 02:00 PM

It will def be turning 4k i will make sure of that. And i am hoping that with a few tweaks here and there i should be able to at least compete. I will at least get it all up and running and make some pulls with it. Worst case i have to build a 14 hp kohler mid season. :)

#52 lesmeister OFFLINE  

lesmeister
  • Member No: 30635
  • 185 Thanks
  • 164 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 05:25 PM

I have a 3tn66 yanmar diesel and want to put a turbo on it and up the fuel some. I am not planning on pulling with NTPA or any thing real hot, I have a neighbor that has his own sled and track that we play on for fun. I might attend a couple of local pulls but that is all. I feel that putting a turbo on is kinda useless with out having more fuel?  Any help will be greatly appreciated. I do know a stock 430 john deere pump will give approx. 20% more fuel, is that enough? I do not have a turbo found yet, E-bay has some small turbos but I am new to the diesel pulling stuff and not sure how big is to big.Thanks

• Dieselcubmike said thank you

#53 lesmeister OFFLINE  

lesmeister
  • Member No: 30635
  • 185 Thanks
  • 164 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 05:41 PM

I am still planning the build of a diesel puller for fun, I plan to use a cub rear end and build the frame from scratch. I am thinking of using square tubing from the dash foward. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks

#54 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 06:36 PM

Yea i can help as much as i can. <br />A turbo that is commonly used in the bigger "national" pullers is a gt12 or gt15<br /><br />For our uses a garret gt06 would be perfect but they are impossible to find used as they have only been out for a short time. I believe the intake on a gt06 is 21mm. Which is about 7/8". So it is tiny!:)<br /><br />Turning up the fuel will be plenty for what you are gonna use it for.

#55 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 06:42 PM

I got the motor out of the 129 and mocked up in the 682 today. I am going to have to move the steering column over to the outside farther so that i have room for my clutch. As it is i have to have the front pulley up in the grille shell to have enough room for this big clutch im running. <br />I also need to build an adapter to bolt the clutch to the flywheel. <br />I have an off the wall idea im working on but havent talked to vogel yet about it. <br />ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363477323.054713.jpg <br />ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363477342.175706.jpg <br />ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363477356.684762.jpg
  • twostep said thank you

#56 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 10:36 PM

First off, Welcome to GTtalk! :wave: Adding a turbo is the whole part to building a diesel puller!!! Fuel would not be your biggest issue. More of it would be be your rpms then your boost and fuel and everything else. I dont know if your new to this but this is a whole new ball park if your not used to it. Unfortunatly im not very familiar with yanmar motors so i cant really help with that. Right now since your new I would find a turbo off a car and try it and see how big is too big. And get a good rearend. I dont think that stock 3 speed will last very long with all that torque unless it was a fine spline. Gears also make up a big part of the transmission and so is the driveline (clutch,springs,flywheel). If theres any diesel pullers around your area id watch them so you get a general idea on what to do. This is all I can give you for now. Good luck with your build

I have a 3tn66 yanmar diesel and want to put a turbo on it and up the fuel some. I am not planning on pulling with NTPA or any thing real hot, I have a neighbor that has his own sled and track that we play on for fun. I might attend a couple of local pulls but that is all. I feel that putting a turbo on is kinda useless with out having more fuel?  Any help will be greatly appreciated. I do know a stock 430 john deere pump will give approx. 20% more fuel, is that enough? I do not have a turbo found yet, E-bay has some small turbos but I am new to the diesel pulling stuff and not sure how big is to big.Thanks

#57 baerpath OFFLINE  

baerpath
  • Member No: 10928
  • 314 Thanks
  • 514 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 09:20 AM

Hey Mike I missed your run, how did you do at Keystone ? Looked at your puller, Talked to Russ gonna run ours against his and Terry's deere  Should be a blast

• Dieselcubmike said thank you

#58 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 10:09 AM

Here's my idea to make everything alot simpler...<br />ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363532888.257774.jpg <br />ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363532938.617513.jpg <br />What do you guys think?
  • twostep said thank you

#59 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 02:29 PM

Well nothing blewup lol so thats a start! Not bad all 3 of use place at the bottom running against russ and calvin and brown. It was fun though something different to play with especially being stock running against them. Thanks for taking a look i know its not the prettiest thing out there lol there are some videos on the diesel garden tractor puller facebook page.

Hey Mike I missed your run, how did you do at Keystone ? Looked at your puller, Talked to Russ gonna run ours against his and Terry's deere  Should be a blast

#60 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 02:32 PM

Oh my cummins...I have never seen that before. Would that even work?? Lol. You have to turn it around and use it the other way. Mount your clutch hub against the flywheel might need to make an adapter if you have to so that way everything lives up. I dont think you want a clutch exploding between your legs literally lol