• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#31 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • Member No: 11834
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 07:20 PM

Mike I have a question for you. and all of the other pullers too I guess. But do you weld the rear end up so it is posi? Bob told me that he tried it on his wifes and wasn't happy with it. he said it would pull side to side really bad but when it went straight it went a long ways! Do they make a "Limited slip" for these things or does everybody just run open?

#32 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 01:39 AM

Well it depends. We welded mine so its posi but theres some pros and cons with rear end setups.If you run the dodge dart rearend from midwest super cub its unlocked until it recieves power then it runs posi and it generally preety good for keeping the tractor straight and you can shim the rearend up so that way it doesnt kickout as much. The downside of that is if have a hard start or the sled is heavy starting out the rearend is gonna kickout and your stuck with one wheel doing all the work. Now for the locked rear like what I have. It has full time power so I dont have to worry about it kicking out on me and you dont have to worry about having a bad start because the trans will have full time power to it. The downside is it can be a little squirly and all over the place unless you have it balanced out right but thats with any pulling tractor. So its all preference and budget. If I had the chance id run planetary gears but thats about 2000$ alone and you have to either raise the tranny or drop the frame. Hope this has helped a bit.

#33 baerpath OFFLINE  

baerpath
  • Member No: 10928
  • 314 Thanks
  • 514 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 03:38 PM

We run all oil in the cooling system, we use a electric pump to circulate the oil through the engine to a oil cooler and into a expansion tank.
Duane

On the rear try it unlocked if you set up the rear correctly it will pull posy off the line.
Theres nothing like going 20mph down the track and doing a hard right while sliding the sled around you to make ya get rid of a locked rear. Been there done that LOL

Edited by baerpath, October 12, 2012 - 03:42 PM.

#34 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted October 13, 2012 - 01:40 AM

We run all oil in the cooling system, we use a electric pump to circulate the oil through the engine to a oil cooler and into a expansion tank.
Duane

On the rear try it unlocked if you set up the rear correctly it will pull posy off the line.
Theres nothing like going 20mph down the track and doing a hard right while sliding the sled around you to make ya get rid of a locked rear. Been there done that LOL

He would have to run a dodoge dart rearend if he wants to keep it unlocked. The stock will kick out and break. I dont think you can shim up a stock rear. And he wont have the the speed me and you run lol he has a smaller motor too so itll keep him safe to let him expirement a little :thumbs:

#35 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted October 13, 2012 - 06:44 AM

Thanks!
Thats what i was thinking. This little motor will get me going and give me time to do chassis setup. And keep my eyes open for a big motor to put in another chassis in the future.

#36 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 07:24 PM

Ok i got a chance again today to work (clean) some on the motor. I am going to put the complete engine in the cuda parts cleaner at my old work next week. So for ease of moving the motor around i would strip as many parts as possible off that i clean in my little parts cleaner and sandblasting cabinet. I noticed that the flywheel and front pulley are balanced. But there aren't any markings on the crank or flywheel or front pulley. Do they need to be exactly the same as they were? I was able to mark the flywheel end where i think it was but the front end is splined and i am not exactly sure where it was.
Anybody else run into this?

#37 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 07:37 PM

Ok so i must not have been able to see them thru all the grease and layers of paint. I will have to see what it looks like once they are clean.

#38 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 08:25 PM

Its better to remember where you left off with them. But finding those timing markers are a key factor to getting it back in time in case you forgot where they were

#39 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted November 07, 2012 - 11:34 AM

Ok so i must not have been able to see them thru all the grease and layers of paint. I will have to see what it looks like once they are clean.

any updates on this?

#40 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted November 07, 2012 - 06:52 PM

Nope. With deer hunting and work i havent had time to play.

#41 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted December 02, 2012 - 12:54 PM

Got the new chassis and built rear end all into a roller today. Now i just need to fab up some motor mounts once i figure out what to do for a driveshaft.
I am thinking a mower deck driveshaft. It will have u-joints at both ends and a slip shaft in the middle.
Oh yea and come up with the funds for a clutch. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354470843.752092.jpg

#42 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 08:33 PM

so I got my driveshaft. it is out of a polaris sportsman. it doesn't have the slip shaft part but it has 2 good u-joints at either end. I just have to shorten the shaft and put a coupler in the middle so I can run it thru a couple of pillow blocks for support. Just have to wait for money for a clutch so I can mock everything up and cut it to the right length.

#43 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted March 01, 2013 - 02:17 PM

Well here's an update. A couple of nice boxes from vogel showed up today bearing gifts from the tractor pulling gods.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362165355.290076.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362165385.420111.jpg
And some rubber from my local tire supply.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362165427.279362.jpg
  • twostep said thank you

#44 baerpath OFFLINE  

baerpath
  • Member No: 10928
  • 314 Thanks
  • 514 posts

Posted March 01, 2013 - 08:09 PM

Turf Tires ?  I bought new tires for my diesel over the winter from Vogel.(VM09's) can't wait to run them. 
  Looks like your getting there

#45 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted March 01, 2013 - 08:35 PM

yup rules say i have to run turf tires. besides eventually in the bigger class i will need them for the tar tracks