• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#1 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • Member No: 11834
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 10:27 PM

Hello everyone. I have been in the pulling sport for a little over 8 years in one form or another and have decided to build a diesel garden tractor puller to go out and have some fun. I have been doing a ton of research and been to a few pulls in the org I plan on running. To start I purchased a 682 cub today and a "Pony Pack" as a package deal to build into my puller. The engine I believe is in the pony is a kubota z483b
which is a 28ci motor. I know this motor is a little small but I want to tiptoe into this and maybe get the money to build up a bigger motor evntually. The rules I am looking at show I can run a turbocharged 50ci or smaller motor or a larger than 50 ci naturally. The few tractors I will be pulling against are all 2 cyls and from the looks of them are around 48ci but I dont know my kubotas very well.
I am planning on picking up a cub manual trans from a cub salvage guy close to me. from what it sounds like I can get one for ~$100. My question is do I want an internal or external brake? I can't seem to find which way to go.
Also I need to find a place to get some parts for my motor and can't seem to find a place that has parts diagrams and such online for the kubota's. And where do I get performance work done? From my pulling background I would like to get the pump tweaked and possibly some bigger injectors but have never really dealt with idi motors. Can I get the injector tips honed like I can for a cummins or doesn't it work that way with these little motors?
Any help is greatly appreciated!
I will post up some pics tomorrow of the package when I get it unloaded from the trailer.

#2 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 12:22 PM

Got it somewhat up and running this morning. I think the little fuel pump is bad or the filter is plugged. I am going to pick up a new filter and small mr. Gasket diesel pump. And see if i can get it to run for longer than 5-10 seconds. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347816105.412081.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347816127.835981.jpg

#3 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 12:23 PM

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347816230.519230.jpg

#4 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 08:42 PM

Alright friend welcome to the forums! Your very fortunate because I wokr with these kind of things.

Thats my channel ill be adding recent videos to it.

Ok for question 1. Brakes are you preference. I usually go with internal brakes because I hate having spacers behind my rims so I usually get a offset rim.
Question 2. You would have to go to a kubota dealer to get parts and maybe a manual for your motor.
Question 3. If you want engine work you can either have a local shop do it or you can send whatever you need out to Columbus diesel. There a renoun company and youll be very happy with the work they do. They do work on all kinds of diesels.
Hopefully this has helped somewhat and best of luck on your build!

#5 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted September 17, 2012 - 05:21 PM

Thank you for the info.
My new brainstorm idea is to hopefully find a pair of injectors and pump out of a bigger ci motor and throw them in mine to get more fuel. Do you guys shave the pistons to bring down the compression to run turbo'd? Or just buy different pistons?

#6 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted September 17, 2012 - 05:30 PM

I know nothing about this, but your build is interesting. I'm glad you joined us and keep on posting.

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted September 17, 2012 - 05:31 PM

Mike, got a question for you about Kubota engines. On Yanmar engine's I know how to open the rack to give more diesel to the injectors, but how is it done on a Kubota? I have a D1005.
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#8 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted September 17, 2012 - 11:43 PM

Thank you for the info.
My new brainstorm idea is to hopefully find a pair of injectors and pump out of a bigger ci motor and throw them in mine to get more fuel. Do you guys shave the pistons to bring down the compression to run turbo'd? Or just buy different pistons?

Were still using stock pistons with our turbos. I know you can get aftermarket pistons but if you want to go big with all that power i'd just get a 3 cylinder and pump out all that power.

#9 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted September 17, 2012 - 11:50 PM

Mike, got a question for you about Kubota engines. On Yanmar engine's I know how to open the rack to give more diesel to the injectors, but how is it done on a Kubota? I have a D1005.

This will work the same way for our 3 cylinders. I found this because I didnt feel like running out to the garage and take my side sheild off lol but becareful opening it up all the way because too much fuel is bad for it.
  • olcowhand and Toolpartzman have said thanks

#10 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 05:12 AM

Thanks! That is the exact motor i have too. When i look up parts i am looking up that tractor a t1600. Im glad i got to see that to make sure it is the same. I will have to look at mine tonight when i get home.
  • Toolpartzman said thank you

#11 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 02:04 PM

So im looking at fuel pumps for it. What pressure is safe to feed these pumps?

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 02:09 PM

be careful opening it up all the way because too much fuel is bad for it.

I just want to increase fuel slightly. Even under a hard pull, my D1005 hardly smokes at all. I think it could use just a tad more fuel delivery.
  • Texas Deere and Horse and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#13 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 07:56 PM

If your talking about the electric lift pumps, I'm using the 4 to 7 lb. pumps.

#14 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted September 19, 2012 - 12:07 AM

So im looking at fuel pumps for it. What pressure is safe to feed these pumps?

Im running about 15/16 pounds right now with a stock pump but im sure I can go more but thats what my pump runs at (paid 185$ from jegs)

#15 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted September 19, 2012 - 06:50 AM

Awesome. I plan on running a fass or airdog pump/filter setup that i know very well from my truck pulling days and i can get one of those pretty cheap. The one i had for a common rail cummins was set at 15 psi. So that should work great.