Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Plow Left To Right... Now I Am Confused...

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 04:33 PM

Alright, here is a great question with contradicting information, and I finally can't stand it any more. Today I hooked the plow to the Caterpillar (as always) with the sleeve bracket on the plow flipped to the right (standing rear of plow) and the pin in the middle hole as I had it at the last plow day. And I noticed the plow looked to be too far right still based on the right side of point should be to the inside the the right tire, so I rehooked the plow all the way to the left I could (now in the right hand hole). So then I got more confused cause it looked right but I thought no way it belongs that far over. This is when I went to the manuals, and learned that I should have for my 18" between tire dimension the plow in the left most hole when bracket is flipped the way I have it, but that would be way too far right! Where should I have that plow, I am so confused. I know I got the hole setting this spring out of a Brinly plow manual and what I thought looked right, but now it just looks wrong no matter how I hook the plow on.... and I have looked at three manuals (all different versions from Brinly to yield the hole I think is wrong.... help! I really thought the manual would be more helpful..

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, September 15, 2012 - 04:36 PM.

#2 jwc3232 OFFLINE  

jwc3232
  • Member No: 10402
  • 42 Thanks
  • 54 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 04:48 PM

im confused sleve hitch on caterpillar brinly plow ?? JIM

#3 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 04:54 PM

Casey, I'd love to help, as I just got through plowing some ground myself. BUT.......A picture would be very helpful to try and figure out what you are describing. Any chance of pics?

Actually, I'll take a crack at it. The most important thing is that the right side of the plow share should be right at the inside edge of your wheels. This way, when your wheels are firmly in the furrow, the plow is taking a full width bite. Too far to the right, and the plow is not fully loaded. Too far to the left, and the land you are trying to plow will not break over into the furrow like it should. So, if you can get your plow adjusted to the inside edge of your wheel, then you have it just right.

Edited by HowardsMF155, September 15, 2012 - 04:59 PM.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 04:56 PM

Pics would be very helpful!

#5 Kyocum OFFLINE  

Kyocum

• Member No: 6171
  • 280 Thanks
  • 403 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 05:03 PM

Casey I would just measure the inside dimension between the tires and set it up per the manual. I've done a lot of experimenting with plow set ups and always keep coming back to the set up per the manual. Remember when the machine is sitting on level ground it will look a little weird anyways because the plow will be tilted.

#6 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 06:45 PM

I c, a bunch of pic hogs lol. I will upload one tomorrow, because Kyocum gave me the best idea ever, get it up on blocks lol. It is just baffling me, so I kept looking at it with the plow all the way up because that was the view I had, so I might just be wrong. Meanwhile I need to find somewhere I can plow and not ruin good ground.

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,290 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 07:18 PM

Casey, remember those 5" blocks I had at plow day? That's what you need to set it up right.

Also, follow the manual. You should end up with about 8.5- 9" of static "bite" on the plow (point about 9" away from the inside of your R. H. Tire.)
Once you start plowing, it'll move over some to the left. And if it's pilling hard, don't forget to read the section in the manual about that little bolt from the land side to the frame. (again, follow the instructions.)

I know guys hate reading instructions... Some of it goes against the very nature of our being... Just do it. ;)

#8 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 07:26 PM

Alan, I actually went and looked at the manual and that is when I came to the forum from just pure confusion because I expected the manual to say one of the right two holes and it said left most (with my bracket set to the right) so then I came to you guys because I was hoping for a manual answer that was what I wanted to hear lol.

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,290 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 07:31 PM

Alan, I actually went and looked at the manual...

Casey, you have to do a little more than just look at the pictures. :poke:
just kidding, just kidding... Geez

#10 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 07:31 PM

Maybe this will help.
001.JPG
  • MH81 said thank you

#11 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 07:35 PM

Doug, that was what I was looking at for an answer. I normally hook it to 2R but 3R was looking like what I should have been hooking to. So I thought, well, the manual will clear up whether it is 2R or 3R and it said 1R.... so I was extremely confused...

#12 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 07:45 PM

1R and 1L are the same
As you go from 1R to 3R the plow moves to the left, wider bite width
As you go from 1L to 3L the plow moves to the right, less bite width.

#13 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 07:49 PM

Right Doug, the confusion is the bite, How much do I need to give it (luckily Alan said about 9")

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,290 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 08:11 PM

If you have the 18", set the hitch as it shows in the manual. Then use the 1 hole. I found on mine if I have it flipped over and use the 1 hole, I didn't have as much free play on the hitch and it tried to stifle the plow from floating left when it was set up. Actually messed me up for a while. (till I read and followed the instructions)

#15 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 09:09 PM

I have the 18 inches, at Cocranton I was using hole 2R. I think I will still use 2R...