• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bobp OFFLINE  

bobp
  • Member No: 10996
  • 0 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 03:56 PM

Hi everyone, this forum has been a huge help to me putting together the cub from an actual basket of parts.

I got the engine put back together and it amazed me how easily it started. Here is the problem tho. It will only start and run at an idle speed and the choke open. If I try to acelerate the engine at all, it dies. If I try to close the chock it dies.

I tried closing the choke by hand while the engine was running and if I barely close it, I can get the engine to run a little faster but not much.

I have adjusted the carburator according to the owners manual.

Any suggestions at all? Thanks.

I dont know if all of this is related but I have put in a new carb kit, spark plug, points, condenser, coil, had the starter/generator rebuilt and replaced all the wiring with new.

Thanks again..Bob

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 03:59 PM

Your float setting may be so low that it starves for fuel at anything above an idle. Definitely sounds like a carb issue.

#3 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 09:27 PM

Is that a K161?

My guess is the condenser. Make sure it's hooked up correctly.

I say this because I had a K181 that would idle perfectly, but refused to rev up. Messed with the carb for hours.
Finally a fellow suggested I make sure the condenser was on the correct side of the coil. Turns out it was missing.
  • bobp said thank you

#4 bobp OFFLINE  

bobp
  • Member No: 10996
  • 0 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 03:48 PM

I double checked the condenser and it is hooked correctly according to the wiring diagram I have, but thanks for the suggestion. I guess I will open up the carb again and have a look at it. I thought I had cleaned it thoroughly but maybe I missed something.

I also noticed that I have oil leaking around the governor when its running. Is there a seal or gasket in that area?

#5 Clippnalawn OFFLINE  

Clippnalawn

• Member No: 4993
  • 109 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted September 22, 2012 - 10:32 PM

Lately I have had several reminders of how important plug gap is with these small engines. The would start fine, rev up a little then die, went though the carbs, checked points condensers....etc. finally pulled the plug to check it again, closed it up 5 thousandths and it fired up and ran like a champ. One was a Wisconsin tra12d and the other was a kohler k161.
  • motobreeder and bobp have said thanks