• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 baerpath OFFLINE  

baerpath
  • Member No: 10928
  • 314 Thanks
  • 514 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 01:35 PM

Picked up 100 with rear pto and a original last week. Is the rear pto good for anything, were any attachments made for it ? Looks to be smaller and fine splined not like a 540 Haven;t seen any others with it, did Cub make them or aftermarket
Duane

#2 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 01:38 PM

There is nothing I know that works with it, it also spins the wrong direction, and the speed is different.

#3 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 05:22 PM

Yea,they don't have a lot of uses,thats for sure. I believe a Danuser post hole digger used the PTO and so did the Inhofer ground saw,but other than that I don't believe they were used much.

#4 baerpath OFFLINE  

baerpath
  • Member No: 10928
  • 314 Thanks
  • 514 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 05:40 AM

Okay might as well move it then, Anyone need one ? Has deck and snowblower with it also
Duane

#5 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 06:07 AM

I believe the tiller used this PTO. A pulley went on the PTO to run it. Hard to find those though. I would PM member ACecil. He knows these. The PTO is a rare item to have on one!

#6 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 11:22 AM

I believe the tiller used this PTO. A pulley went on the PTO to run it. Hard to find those though. I would PM member ACecil. He knows these. The PTO is a rare item to have on one!

The Cub Cadet tiller used a long belt from the front of the engine back to a right angle gearbox then another belt ran from the gearbox to the tiller. You can just see the belt under the tractor in this pic.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0713.JPG

Edited by LTD, September 18, 2012 - 11:23 AM.

#7 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted September 19, 2012 - 03:31 AM

The rear PTO has to be removed before you can mount the tiller. In fact in most cases its in the way of most rear attachments. There was a flat belt pulley you can mount on it, so you can run other items. But attachments that work with the rear PTO are very very few.

#8 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted September 19, 2012 - 04:14 AM

Guess you learn something new every day!

#9 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted September 19, 2012 - 04:24 AM

Yea,they don't have a lot of uses,thats for sure. I believe a Danuser post hole digger used the PTO and so did the Inhofer ground saw,but other than that I don't believe they were used much.

The groundsaw was an rear trencher setup.

With the groundsaw you would install a creeper gear with low gear removed. The front PTO ran a Hyd pump for the saw. A Hyd motor was attached to the PTO. You would shift the creeper into neutral (were low used to be) the transmission in 3rd, and as the saw cut the trench, the Hyd motor would spin th PTO and in turn push the tractor forward.

#10 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted September 19, 2012 - 05:51 AM

I once saw a Cub that had a wide belt as a PTO from the rear is that where this PTO is located ? Thanks Al

#11 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted September 19, 2012 - 06:22 AM

Yep it sticks out of the back cover.
  • Alc said thank you

#12 Paulf OFFLINE  

Paulf
  • Member No: 10157
  • 5 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted September 19, 2012 - 07:35 PM

On my Hawk Bilt groundsaw, the main hydraulic motor runs directly off the front of the crankshaft and doesn't use the PTO. On an Allis Chalmers the groundsaw actually used the front PTO. On my groundsaw I lock the clutch pedal down to disengage the clutch while using the groundsaw. It requires that the Cub Cadet has an auxillary brake installed.

The Danuser post hole digger runs off the front PTO. On a Bolens it used the rear PTO but not on a cub cadet.

I don't know how to post an internet link, but you can view both the groundsaw and post hole digger in action at my website at www.cubcadetman.com.

The groundsaw does use a hydraulic motor to drive the rear PTO and move the groundsaw as someone described. I have a "drag saw" that I made that runs off the Cub Cadet rear PTO but I haven't used it for years. I think the only common use for a rear PTO on a Cub Cadet was to run a hay elevator. But so few farmers now bale square bales that that's no longer used much as well.

#13 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,287 Thanks
  • 2,326 posts

Posted September 20, 2012 - 02:02 AM

They used the same rear PTO on the Farmall Cub tractors.The Transaxle in your 100 has the PTO engage leaver on it?

Farmall cubs used basicly the same transaxle so the Cub Cadets can be adapted to use a rear PTO.Installing the leaver to engage and disengage the PTO takes a bit of machine work.

You can get adapters to change the PTO size.Would be neat to make a little brush hog to tow behind your cubby.

Edited by EricFromPa, September 20, 2012 - 02:05 AM.

#14 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 20, 2012 - 08:24 AM

Farmall cubs used basicly the same transaxle

Yes, if I remember correctly, they were exactly the same transaxle,except for the length and shape of the shifter,and of cousre the axles were narrower.

#15 Paulf OFFLINE  

Paulf
  • Member No: 10157
  • 5 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted September 20, 2012 - 10:16 AM

You are correct that the PTO is the same. But it takes a different transmission shaft to drive the PTO in a Cub Cadet then the Farmall. I've seen a lot of people advertise a PTO for a Cub Cadet without that shaft. Without the transmission shaft the PTO is worthless. Just be careful if you're thinking of buying or installing one about what you purchase.