Must Of Had Cabin Fever

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Arti OFFLINE  

• Member No: 11282
  • 1,266 Thanks
  • 956 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 01:15 PM

I live in an area that was extremely dry this summer along with 100 degree days not much was done outside.

Haven't mowed the yard since May and it finally rained a bit in the last 2 weeks so the yard greened up and the weeds took off growing with a vengeance.

My main mower is a Ford 165 that is my git er done mower however the mower deck was taken off last weekend so the snow blower could be put on winter won't be here for a bit but it seems to sneak up on me every year.

Anyway we have an old Case 195 that works just fine for mowing, so out it came and after a few rounds it occurred to me that it is really relaxing to do a bit of yard work, sure is surprising how your mood improves after mowing for an hour or so and looking back and seeing green grass again in this area.

In the past I've used a zero turn which was sold a couple of years ago. It will mow faster but somehow it took all the fun out of mowing.

Does anyone else enjoy the old mowers that still work extremely well or am I alone in this ??

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,244 Thanks
  • 29,698 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 01:34 PM

Does anyone else enjoy the old mowers that still work extremely well or am I alone in this ??

First off, Welcome to GTTalk Arti! :wave: Second, to answer your question.......oh heck no you're not alone! While I have a F935 JD front mower, it is more business for mowing my larger farm areas. But for fun, a tractor is best. I have to add that the JD front mower DOES have a steering wheel. I don't care for the stick steering of ZTR's....I'm a steering wheel kinda guy!

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,661 Thanks
  • 39,036 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 02:08 PM

Arti, you're not alone. I enjoy mowing. Have an MTD Ranch King w/42" cut. I could use the Cub w/ 48", or the Ford w/42", but the little MTD does a good job and easier to get around things with.

#4 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,294 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 02:46 PM

I too prefer my older tractors for grass cutting and most other things. My Case 224 and 446 are my main go to tractors.
But then again the '71 Sears with the loader comes in handy too. :thumbs:

P.S. Welcome

#5 Cvans OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,344 Thanks
  • 4,934 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 03:01 PM

Mowing is good medicine for me also. My wife has asked how come I won't let the grand kids earn some money mowing our yard. I told her it's because it is one of the things that I really enjoy doing. GT time is good for a person and should not be rushed so one can savor the experience.
I agree with you about the Zero turns also. For some they are the real answer and that is fine but I still like driving a garden tractor.

#6 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,493 Thanks
  • 7,628 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 03:44 PM

I just got finished mowing half my yard ( ran out of gas and called it a day). I love it. My wife asked me if she was ever going to let to mow again. I told her I would think about bringing a tractor in the kitchen for her.

#7 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,689 Thanks
  • 2,911 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 05:06 PM

I love mowing with my old Massey lawn tractor. Gives a great cut and kinda reminds me of work I used to do when I was younger. I've got a smaller massey 8 that I let my kids use for my yard, but I also cut a neighbor's yard too. I swap work with my neighbor, I cut her grass, she watches my two younger children so the rest of the family can have some fun once a week. My wife asked, why don't you let the kids do her yard too? I said, Hey, I enjoy it too much!