• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted July 30, 2010 - 01:49 PM

I figured I might as well start off the new outdoor power equipment forum. Outdoor power equipment and garden tractors basically go hand in hand so I think it will be a great addition to the site.

Anyway since moving to the new place we are looking into heating with firewood by next year. Especially since primary heat source is a heat pump and secondary is oil fired hot water. Once the rate caps come off in January I am afraid to see what the electric bills are going to be.

So to start preparing I want to start finding sources for firewood and start cutting and splitting now so by next year all the wood will be seasoned and ready to go. Where I work they are a Stihl dealer and while they didn't cut me as good of a deal as I would have liked I still got a discount on the saw. I got it with a 20" bar and plan on getting a 25" bar for it as well. The chain that is on it is a safety chain which will be alright but I ordered three full chisel chains off ebay yesterday. Now I just need to get a couple more odds and ends and I will be ready. I think I see a splitter in my near future LOL

I also plan on modding the muffler and doing a port job on the saw after it is broken in, you can never have too much LOL. I do plan on finding a 441 or a 660 used in the near future :D

Here is a pic of the saw:

Attached Thumbnails

• MS362.jpg

#2 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted July 30, 2010 - 05:07 PM

Looks like a good saw, George! Never had a reason to cut a lot of fire wood, but when I did, I always enjoyed it. Might not be as much fun now that my joints are older and achy!

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,294 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted July 30, 2010 - 09:33 PM

My Dad has one very similar. Probably the easiest saw I've ever run. I assume it has the compression release? The 1st time I tried to start his, I didn't know it was there... kickback city. The saw I grew up with was a Pioneer 650. Big old bruiser, weighed more than I did back then. On the upside, if you were man enough to get it up on the log, you didn't have to push down... You've got a nice saw there.

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted July 30, 2010 - 09:49 PM

It has a compression release but the couple of times I started it I didn't use it or need it. Maybe once it is broken in and it gets full compression it might be a different story. I can't wait to buck some wood with it and get it broken in. I want to do the muffler mod and port it asap and throw a 25" bar on it LOL

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted July 31, 2010 - 12:14 PM

That IS a nice looking saw George,hope it works as good as it looks,and i'm sure it will.

#6 Rick OFFLINE  

Rick

Tractorholic

• Member No: 344
  • 15 Thanks
  • 168 posts

Posted July 31, 2010 - 08:03 PM

I have a stihl 032 with a 20 inch bar and a MS210 with a 14 inch bar they are real nice saws.I also have around 30 or so homelite super XL's,XL12's,350's,360's,one 660 with a 36 inch bar and one 770 4 foot bar.That one takes 2 men and a little boy to run it.For you guys that are close to waynesboro pa I will sharpen saw chains for 5.00 on or off the saw.

#7 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 08, 2010 - 09:28 AM

I have a stihl 032 with a 20 inch bar and a MS210 with a 14 inch bar they are real nice saws.I also have around 30 or so homelite super XL's,XL12's,350's,360's,one 660 with a 36 inch bar and one 770 4 foot bar.That one takes 2 men and a little boy to run it.For you guys that are close to waynesboro pa I will sharpen saw chains for 5.00 on or off the saw.

I love the big boy saws like the 660 and the 770 or the 088 but I don't have a need for something that big other then to just have it. I would take you up on the chain sharpening but at work we have one of them stihl bench power bench sharpeners and the guy will sharpen them for me throughout the day as he gets time. I bought three full chisel chains and am waiting for them to get here. Our address forwarding messed up the delivery so I don't know if they will get sent back to the sender or not.

I just bought a MS170 off ebay for limbing the little stuff around the house and the brush pile, it will also be the lending saw because I won't lend the 362 out LOL. Too many horror stories of people putting straight gas in them. The 170 isn't the best but I plan on putting a walbro wt215 carb on it and porting and muffler modding it so it should be a little screamer when it is done.

#8 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted August 08, 2010 - 11:35 AM

I guess that if you work there, those mods are fairly old hat for you. My Father-in-law is a chainsaw carver who travels the eastern seaboard throughout the year, and I don't believe that he's ever even considered any modifications. I'll bet it would up his performance levels though! He uses a lot of Stihl saws as well as Johnsered, Husqvarna, Echo, and RedMax. Probably about 20 to 25 saws total. Is there a source for chainsaw modification parts and specs out there?

#9 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 08, 2010 - 12:30 PM

In all honesty I don't think your father in law would notice much of a benefit from modding if he primarily uses his saws for carving. The only time you will really notice a difference is when you are burying the bar bucking or felling. Not saying it still wouldn't be fun. The biggest thing is if plan on modding the carb needs to have the low and high needle adjustments. Like on the ms170 I just got it has the intellicarb and doesn't have adjustments for the high and low needles so porting the cylinder would just mean you are going to burn it up. Which is why I plan on getting another carb and modify it to fit so I can adjust the tune to the mods. I honestly haven't ported a two stroke yet but understand the principles of modding. I am looking forward to it and which is why I bought the little 170 to mess with first, this way if I screw it up I can just chuck it in the garbage or sell it on ebay for parts LOL. They are not worth buying a new piston or cylinder for since new you can get the saw for $200.00

I want to get a Husqvarna or two also and I wouldn't mind getting an echo and I also even thought about getting one of the cheap chinese saws to mess with since they are cheap.

#10 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 29, 2010 - 07:52 PM

I forgot I never did update this thread. My Stihl MS362 is now definitely broken in. I removed the limiter caps so I could tune the carb better and I did a muffler mod. Basically a piece of thin wall tubing, I cut a hole in the side of the muffler on the flywheel side and put the piece of thin wall tubing in just barely past the wall of the muffler and welded it tight. It sounds great now, almost like a bigger saw. Definitely helped with the power of the saw too. :D

Now if I could just get it to split and stack the wood for me I would have it made.

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,294 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted November 30, 2010 - 02:25 AM

Now if I could just get it to split and stack the wood for me I would have it made.

I thought you said that's why you have a wife... :poke:

#12 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 30, 2010 - 07:19 PM

I thought you said that's why you have a wife... :poke:

Yes, and kids LOL

#13 Meangreen OFFLINE  

Meangreen

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 31
  • 94 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted November 30, 2010 - 09:47 PM

I forgot I never did update this thread. My Stihl MS362 is now definitely broken in. I removed the limiter caps so I could tune the carb better and I did a muffler mod. Basically a piece of thin wall tubing, I cut a hole in the side of the muffler on the flywheel side and put the piece of thin wall tubing in just barely past the wall of the muffler and welded it tight. It sounds great now, almost like a bigger saw. Definitely helped with the power of the saw too. :D

I have a stihl 360 pro and would love to see pic's of the muffler mod and step-by-step details of the port work